Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 08:35 AM   #1

Southern Utah

Ok, in planning my trip it looks like my plans have changed. Instead of all the way up to SD and west across the Northern tier of states we might go up into southern CO and UT.
I am looking at routes from Cortez, CO to Hanksville, UT and on west through all the wonders of southern UT ending up a Zion,NP.
So I guess maybe the big question is getting from Monticello, UT to Hanksville, UT. Lots of wild country out there.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

Great country, now we are talking! Rt, 12, one of the most scenic roads in the US by some accounts, but I think 95 to Blanding and thru Capitol Reef is just as spectacular. Couple of little places to eat in Hanksville.

Devil's Canyon Camp ground, North of Blanding is a great spot, and cheap, but if you drive past it there are a lot of spots in the forest. The forest road out of Blanding that cuts north towards Monticello is nice but don't haul your rig, it has some very steep inclines but is worth the drive.

Post some pics, I love that area.
High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #3

Got to thinking, not sure why you put in Cortez, I usually to up to Kayenta then north through Monument Valley, Rt 163 to 191, great scenery.

Don't go 261 Moki-Dugway, it is not paved for a 3-5 mile section but is a steep and narrow incline.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #4

When are you headed out? Almost set for a rally in Bryce Utah in august

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:57 PM   #5

I have family in Cortez and Dove Creek Co so I may spend a week or two around there and Delores. Not real crazy about Moab as I have been through there many times.
I want to see the Goosenecks and Moki Dugway doesn't worry me. After McCarthy and Old Denali highway in Alaska last summer this should just be a breeze.
Then motor on up to Hanksville and catch highway 12 across southern Utah. we are planning on staying at a friends little ranch just south of Kanab and day tripping Zion.
From there on to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Heck I ain't got nothing else to do this summer.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #6

Here it is, looks much smoother than I remember, they may have graded it, it was pretty rough when we went down on our Harley's last year. But you are used to Rt 666/191 so you should be fine.

Sounds like you have a great plan in mind and a good way to pass the summer. Have fun and safe travels.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #7

Ok my picture disappeared on the reply

Old 05-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #8

Went by way of SD last year and never made it out of SD-absolutely beautiful areas there. This year we are headed out to SW UT for the summer. There are few routes that are anything but amazing. The only guarantee is one will not have enough time to explore all the cool stuff in whatever area you find yourself. Only thing that influences our stops is that the lowlands are HOT-and mamma hates hot.
*So I bought a generator big enough to run the AC!
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:38 AM   #9

Moki is a breeze. Head up to Canyonlands Island in the Sky and do Shafer trail, BUT NO trailer.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
utah