Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #21

On our motorcycle trip we made a fuel stop and saw that the store was also selling a "cannabis Energy Drink", go figure. Being a group of law enforcement officers we thought it would be funny to buy a can and put it in the baggage of one of our riders who had flown out for the trip. We imagined the look on our buddy's face when TSA found it.... then common sense kicked in and we rode on.
High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #22

Look in to Priest Gulch Campground outside of Dolores. Not to sure when it opens for the season but it is well worth it. Beautiful place with the river running straight down the middle of the campground.

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fushux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #23

Before lighting up, make sure you are on state or private land. Marijuana is still illegal on Forest service, BLM, National parks; basically any Federal lands.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:14 AM   #24

My favorite is Nations Monument, it will release your adrenaline, your dopamine while blocking the uptake. it's a rush
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #25

Also try Mavriso campground outside of Dolores. Its small but has a few sites with hook ups I believe. We use to use that one a lot when I was younger.
dbackerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #26

You will be near the Mesa Verde Cliff Dwellings a must see in my opinion. The park service operates the Moorefield campground . Camping - Mesa Verde National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	102776  
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
My favorite is Nations Monument, it will release your adrenaline, your dopamine while blocking the uptake. it's a rush
Where is "Nations Monument?"

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 03-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #28

Google Colorado National Monument
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #29

I've been to Colorado National Monument, I was just curious if there was another monument I have never heard of before; Nations Monument.
Thanks.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #30

We stayed at Rivers Edge RV just north of Durango two years ago and were able to get a site right on the river. It's a bit pricey taking that old steam train from Durango to Silverton. The drive/ride up to Silverton is nice but to go further I'd want to be on a bike rather then in a MH! The loco's (or locals if you prefer) will pass you on blind curves and big trucks will be in your lane from time to time. But still, it's a grand place to visit! Since you described yourself as LEO's, make sure you meet the old gal(Sheriff) in Silverton.
Bud Ezekiel H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:51 PM   #31

I plan on going over the mountain to Silverton and Ouray and will check out the "Sheriff".

Had to change my dates around a bit but finally got a space in the Pine Point Campground at Vallecito Reservoir for mid June.

Is anyone familiar with this location?
Old 04-01-2016, 11:45 AM   #32

Yup, camped there two summer ago. Graham Creek, North Canyon, Pine Point, and Middle Mountain are on the east side of the lake and very scenic. Many of the sites in Pine Point are in the pines and have a view of the lake. Vallecito CG is on Vallecito Creek north of the lake and has a great hiking trail that follows the creek north into the Weminuche Wilderness. Closest services - gas, limited groceries, restaurants, etc -are on the NW side of the lake.

It's about 35 min drive into Durango on Florida (pounced Flor-ee-da by us locals) where you can get pretty much whatever you need. As you're probably coming in from the south I'd recommend taking HWY 160 east to Bayfield then turning north at the light. Which light you ask? The only one!

All these campgrounds get busy during the summer with every weekend at full capacity. And holiday weekends? We stay home!

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #33

Thanks for the info on the area. I know what you mean about booking up. Recreation.gov kept changing the opening dates that the reservations were being accepted, and I missed the opening date for Haviland Lake. By the middle of the first day of the reservations period it was booked for the entire season. It is the same down here, I avoid the National Forest on the holiday weekends and most of the summer season, it turns into a zoo with all of the out of town visitors.

Even with changing our dates and coming in mid-week the sites around Durango were limited, with most being booked. Luckily got the last lakeside site at Pine Point, and am looking forward to it. Will make a side trip to Silverton and Ouray, and of course will have to have breakfast at the Durango Diner.

Hey what is the CO State law on riding quads on the forest roads? Mine is licensed in AZ and is road legal down here, even on paved roads and in town. Will have to research the CO laws to make sure I am in compliance.

Site # 9 at Pine Point Campground.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:50 PM   #34

That's a good question as CO doesn't authorize ATV/UTVs on roads - yet. There are on-going efforts to allow them with restrictions such as legal aged licensed drivers, only on secondary road, etc. Having said that, some counties - such as San Juan where Silverton is located - do allow them on county roads. In Silverton they've designated certain streets you can travel on. But stick to the route as my neighbor found out. The local Police stopped him for going just past the end of the designated route to turn into a parking lot!

Now, you do have a "vehicle" with a state issued license plate. But I'm not sure if that would allow you to go on any road in the state. I once passed a guy in a UTV heading up HWY 550 north of Durango who was sporting a AZ plate. Doubt it was legal if for no other reason than that's a 60MPH Highway.

I do hope they allow this soon as it sure makes getting from your camp site to a trail head easier.

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #35

Definitely something I will have to check on before I go roaring around on the quad. Amazing that in a state that allows smoking dope as "recreation" I could become an outlaw for being on the wrong road with my quad.

I thought hiking, camping, & playing ping pong etc..are recreation, not sitting around getting f'd up. Can't wait until they make a sport.... the Denver Dopers are taking on the Seattle Stoners, look at those guy go, they sure can inhale.

Then maybe they can combine it with a hot dog eating contest, and a 3k run and call it a triathlon.

Don't get me started!!!

Tags
camping