Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #1

Question Southwest route suggestions

Hello all, I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip from Southern California to Indiana. I did the trip planner on the Good Sam site and it gave me two different routes to take. The first one takes me on Hwy 10 through Arizona. After leaving Arizona it sends me onto the following highways to get to Gallup NM, for my first overnight stop. AZ highways 87, 260, 277, 377, 77, and eventually putting me back on I-40 towards Albuquerque. Are these highways safe for RV travel. I do not want to get on highways with no services or rest stops available. The second route I can take will send me on I-15 from Riverside County to Barstow. Transition to I-40, and head towards Albuquerque. Not much of a mileage difference (60 mils), Any help is appreciated.
alsimmon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #2

Do you want speed or scenery? What time of the year are you leaving? And what are you driving/towing? What did the Trip Planner say was the shortest vs. the fastest route? All of these factors enter into determining the best route.

If I were in a hurry, I wouldn't go through the mountains northeast of Phoenix, I would just stay on the all-Interstate route. If I had plenty of time and wanted to see some very picturesque country, I would take the US and Arizona highways.

If I were traveling during "iffy" spring weather, I might chose to stay on I-10 to I-25 and then head north to I-40. I-40 between Flagstaff and Gallup can have very high winds, and even snow, in spring. I have been in Gallup when I-40 closed at the Arizona state line due to early April winds. Of course, I have also had to stop and camp overnight on I-40 in Oklahoma because the west winds were so strong that I was having difficulty towing my travel trailer back to Colorado.

So, you now have a lot of factors to consider!

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #3

pretty much what fanrgs said. I-40 is a major interstate hwy with places to stop. the az hwys will be mostly 2 lane roads. they are totally doable but you will travel slower. az-87 from phoenix to payson is 4 lane divided hwy. az-260 is two lane. weather will probably be ok, but there are times. in summer you may get some monsoon thundershowers. the I-10 route can also be closed due to wind and blowing sand. it's just something to know about but you can't schedule around it.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:31 PM   #4

Just remember that Arizona has higher speed limits on I 40. I think it's 80. Set the speed YOU are comfortable with and others will go around. I think I hang in the right lane at 62.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #5

Thanks for all the feed back. All the post and talking to a couple North Carolina while out camping, I decided to take the Northern route on I-40. Thanks again.
alsimmon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Just remember that Arizona has higher speed limits on I 40. I think it's 80. Set the speed YOU are comfortable with and others will go around. I think I hang in the right lane at 62.
AZ, NM, and TX speed limits on I-40 is 75mph. Other states are 70.

We just drove most of I-40 in AZ and I have to say it is in the worst shape I've ever seen. All you do is dodge giant potholes. If you can ever get up to 75mph it would be amazingl
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

There will be a lot of construction on I-17 and I-40 this year. The roads are pretty beat up. Good excuse to travel old Rt 66 between Seligman and Kingman. Stop in the Hualapai Market in Peach springs the bakery has some great maple bars.
High Country is offline   Reply With Quote