Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #1

Taos, NM

I'll be heading north late May and I usually just boom straight up I-25 through New Mexico to Presho, SD. Make it in three days with stops in Raton and Julesburg,CO.
This year I am thinking about turning off at Santa Fe and checking out the country up through Taos and maybe even Antonito, CO and the Cumbres-Toltec train ride thing. Then on up to Alamosa and over east to Walsenberg. Probably adding three to four days to the trip.
What do you folks think? Anyone ever been through there?
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #2

Been too long ago to make any recommendations Black Rock. Safe travels and have fun!
Adding days to a trip is never a bad idea!
High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #3

All I can add is that Alamosa is pretty close to Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park and that is worth visiting.

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #4

Yes been up there a few times. In fact I will be up there for Memorial Weekend with a Hot Air Balloon pilot to balloon in the Rio Grande Gorge. That is a nice area. If you stay in Taos, you will see the Rio Grande gorge (and gorge bridge). A nice day trip is the Enchanted Circle, Taos to Angel Fire, then north to Red River, through Questa and then back to Taos. If you have a chance, instead of going east from Alamosa, go north up to Buena Vista, Co. See the row of 14000 ft mountains in that area.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #5

Anyone on this thread that can recommend great rv parks with full hookups in Taos or Red River area?
suebrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:03 PM   #6

I stay in Monte Bello rv just northeast of Taos, on the road to the Rio Grande Gorge bridge (no shade trees). In the area and part of the Enchanted Circle drive (you did not say how far out): Golden Eagle RV park in Eagle Nest. Angle Fire RV Resort out side of Angle Fire (I have not had a chance to stay there yet but on my list).
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #7

Last year we used Taos RV Park and Campground located in town and we really enjoy it there. The Mesa is nice but can be windy, the brewery out in the Mesa is putting in a campground there also but did not look like it will be ready when we were out this past Feb.

Road Runner RV Resort seems to be a favorite choice in Red River, but some nice National campgrounds there if you do not need hook ups
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote