Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #1

Thousand Trails, Northwest

When we purchased our new TV, we were given a one year membership to Thousand Trails. Obviosly, we signed up for the Northwest ares. My question is within the Oregon coast, are there good TT's? Reading reviews, I am having a hard time understanding why people pay the fees they do for membership. Are there members who could comment on TT'S to give me a better idea as to what to really expect from folks who have actually been there. Appreciate the comments.
Cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #2

Our kids live in the Portland area and are both TT members. We had the opportunity to stay as their guests at two of the TT resorts last July. Our preference was The Sun River/Bend resort but did like theWhalers Rest location. Our son particularly likes Pacific City and Sea Side due to the proximity to their home.
We prefer the Federal and State Park type campgrounds but if you have kids the pool, mini-golf and games at the TT's might be a good choice. Also you can be pretty sure of getting a campsite if making reservations in advance is a problem.
Tillicum is a Federal campground on the coast between Walport and Newport. That was my favorite!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5529.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	368.5 KB
ID:	84451   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5657.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	84452   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5668.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	84453   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5690.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	84454  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
Anacortesians

In the Seattle P-I online newspaper (seattlepi.com), there's an blog by Jim Jaillet, who's a full-timer. He's a frequent Thousand Trails user and is currently posting from the TT at La Conner WA. You can look back through his blogs for several years and see different Thousand Trails locations he's reported on.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #4

We have stayed at 2 TT campgrounds on the Oregon Coast. The first one was in Seaside. I did NOT like it. It felt like I was camping in a field. They are within city limits, so they do not have in ground fire pits. You have to rent an above ground fire pit. While we were there I had a fire going and went in the trailer to make a drink. 2 minutes tops. When I came back out a TT employee was standing their and told me to NEVER leave the fire unattended. I explained to him I was only gone 2 minutes. He said he didn't care, and if I did that again, we would not be allowed to have a fire. The only advantage to that CG is location. It is only about 1/2 mile from the outlet mall and two miles from downtown Seaside.

The other one was Whalers Rest. It is south of Newport about 10 miles. I really liked this CG. It is in the trees, so you have privacy. There is a nice playground for the kids, and a big dog run away from any camp site. The only disadvantage is there is nothing really around it. You have to drive wherever you go. The ocean is right across the highway, but that means you have to cross hwy 101 while cars are traveling at 60-65 mph.

The next one I plan to visit is Pacific City. Not sure what it's like, but I have heard a lot of people complain about how hilly the CG is.

I hope this helps. Happy camping!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #5

We will be spending one night at the Pacific City campground this upcoming Saturday. (en route to a two week stay at South Beach State Park near Newport). I'll do my best to get back with an update of the campground...but after two weeks cooling my jets on the Oregon coast it may take awhile to get back to the real world.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #6

We just stayed at Whalers Rest. Can't say that I was impressed. We have a double slide motor home and out of the 6 remaining sites they had left we were only able to fit in 1. Front end of the coach was almost in the road, we could not get our awning out and had to keep our door closed so we didn't get dusted every time a car went past our site on the mostly dirt roads, rained the only night we stayed and the place was a mud pit. Site was not even close to level and stunk of sewage. I was drinking a beer totally wrapped in a cookie and was told I needed to put it in a cup or go inside as this is a family resort. The tennis courts were cracked and useless as was the mini golf. The only thing this place has going for it was the indoor pool. We left after 1 day of our 3 day reservation and moved on. When I spoke with the park staff about the issues I had I was ignored. When we were leaving they had the gall to ask if we wanted to upgrade our membership.......as for the other parks in Oregon, I have heard nothing but good things about bend and pacific city, but no real first hand knowledge of these parks.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:29 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
We are at the end of a one year membership in Oregon (sitting in Sunriver TT right now). During this past year we stayed at Sunriver, Seaside, and Newport. We thought these campgrounds were fine.

Seaside TT = parking lot style camping, VERY strict about their rules, nicest grounds (we didn't care for the town of Seaside...too populated/touristy for us).

Sunriver TT = wooded camping, most sites have decent privacy, most sites (all?) have fire pits, very large/spread out campground, would take a year to do all there is to do in the Bend/Sunriver area. (this TT was our favorite).

Newport TT = heavily wooded, hilly, wet (Oregon Coast), cell service is very spotty, fire pits in something like 50% of sites.

All 3 of these TT's are of average overall condition. Generally speaking, they all have very nice/friendly staff (Seaside maybe not so much...they could use some lessons on how to better enforce their rules). All of the "Resort Amenities" are older and mostly just for the kids. It is nice to have a swimming pool at your campground (indoor at Newport...and PC I believe)

We will not not be renewing (at least for now). Not so much due to any problems with TT, but more so because we like the freedom to stay more places. Oregon has a fantastic State Park system.

I've driven through Pacific City TT but have not stayed. I live and grew up an hour from the Florence TT. Would be glad to try and answer any specific questions if nobody more knowledgeable comes along.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:59 AM   #8

Funny story Cigarman! We arrived there last Monday for a 4 day stay. Ran into most of situations you describe. Park was way overcrowded, spaces too close to each other, water pressure was nil, dirt roads, pads, we're in dire need of work. Rev areas were depresding. Stayed 2 nights and left, never to return. Fortunately, my 1000 trail membership was free for a year. I can think of nay things better to spend money on than that. The Sunriver / Bend 1000 trail is better located, but still is 1000 trails.
Cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #9

I was just in Bend, OR. in June, Stayed here.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...U7Jkswmm1vjMIw

Paved roads and easy drive into Bend.

IMHO it is a very nice place, sites are wide and bricked with a storage shed and a user friendly hookups.

I have not been inclined to join any membership club camp sites because I do NOT want the headaches.