Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 PM   #1

thru Denver?

Planning trip from Central California that will take me as far east as Tennessee. Want to go thru Moab. Am I better to go thru Denver going east(70) or on the return going west on 70? Anything else I should know about on 70 in either direction?
Old 03-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #2

When are you going?
We are leaving for Moab from Denver this friday, 3/15. Keeping our fingers crossed, calling for big snow on Wed the 13th
Max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Planning trip from Central California that will take me as far east as Tennessee. Want to go thru Moab. Am I better to go thru Denver going east(70) or on the return going west on 70? Anything else I should know about on 70 in either direction?
If I was only going to go through Denver once I personally would go
East. Still climbing up to high altitude of 11,150 feet but to me it always seemed that going East it was a slow, steady climb until Vail.

Going West from Denver it seems like miles and miles of UP and I mean up some steep grades.
Vail pass is 7% but once over you're past the worst going Eastbound. Westbound you have a series of hills starting just outside of Denver (Genesee Hill, Floyd Hill, Eisenhower tunnel approach). Combined grade and altitude makes for some long climbs and a lot of smoke from diesels.

You just have to be prepared for snow and ice. Sometimes lots of both when crossing the Divide.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #4

I traveled west bond from IL to Utah, several years ago on I70. But this was in the early fall, Sept/OCT and I had no issues pulling my Cedar Creek on I 70 at all. We went through the EISENHOWER Tunnel and most of that interstate stretch in 5th gear doing 55 MPH with no smoke at all. We than traveled to several different spots in Utah such as Canyon Lands, Moab and Dead Horse point State Park. We stayed mainly in the eastern side of UT.

I would have pulled back on I70 to IL but we went to the Grand Canyon in AZ and then home on I40.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max49 View Post
When are you going?
We are leaving for Moab from Denver this friday, 3/15. Keeping our fingers crossed, calling for big snow on Wed the 13th
We plan on leaving the first week of May. Hope weather is good by then.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #6
Scoundrel

Heading east may be quicker. Heading west may be slower (steeper climbs). Be aware of winter storms.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I-70 would be the quickest route, no matter which direction you are going.

To avoid Floyd Hill (which I call "The Truck Killer") you can also go through Golden and up the canyon to Idaho Springs and reconnect to I-70 there.

I always did that both ways...much less stressful!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If I was only going to go through Denver once I personally would go
East. Still climbing up to high altitude of 11,150 feet but to me it always seemed that going East it was a slow, steady climb until Vail.

Going West from Denver it seems like miles and miles of UP and I mean up some steep grades.
Vail pass is 7% but once over you're past the worst going Eastbound. Westbound you have a series of hills starting just outside of Denver (Genesee Hill, Floyd Hill, Eisenhower tunnel approach). Combined grade and altitude makes for some long climbs and a lot of smoke from diesels.

You just have to be prepared for snow and ice. Sometimes lots of both when crossing the Divide.
East bound is steeper west as the grades but not as steep as heading east. i've only done it a thousand times
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Heading east may be quicker. Heading west may be slower (steeper climbs). Be aware of winter storms.
Think you've got it backwards . east bound is steeper . west as longer grades but not as steep .
Old 03-13-2019, 12:47 AM   #10

Yep, the steep grade up to the Eisenhower Tunnel is the eastbound grade from Silverthorne toward Denver. I have been driving that grade ever since the tunnel first opened and drove US 6 over Loveland Pass for many years before the tunnel was built.

And I also use the US 6 route through Golden to avoid Floyd Hill and Genessee on I-70 anytime I am towing my trailer.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 AM   #11

This time of year I would stick to I70 and off of US6. With this storm coming through, there could be rock slides along US 6. Plus US 6 can become icy in the shaded areas after a snow storm.

I figure if I can't make it up Floyd Hill pulling my trailer with truck issues I probably shouldn't go up in the mountains. I would rather break down just outside of Denver on Floyd Hill where there are more repair options, then in Vail.

Good luck, hopefully this "Bomb Cyclone!" won't slow you down in your trip.
corocky1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #12

Are you wanting to go through Colorado and Denver, or just looking for easiest route from Moab to Tennessee? If the latter then just drop down to I-40.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by corocky1998 View Post
I figure if I can't make it up Floyd Hill pulling my trailer with truck issues I probably shouldn't go up in the mountains. I would rather break down just outside of Denver on Floyd Hill where there are more repair options, then in Vail.
I don't use US 6 because my 2015 turbodiesel truck won't pull the I-70 grades. I do it because, for years, I had my trailers stored just east of Golden and north of CO 58. And having been using US 6 to and from my houses in Golden and Lakewood ever since I was driving my '54 Hudson Hornet and long before I-70 was built through the mountains, I quite frankly like driving through Clear Creek Canyon!

If I have an alternate route, I will always take the one with the fewest grades. Unfortunately, there is no alternate route from Moab to Denver that doesn't involve a 10-11,000-ft. pass and a few steep grades, short of taking US 191 to I-40 to I-25. And that route adds so many miles that even the most "mountain-averse" RV driver out there is unlikely to take it.
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #14

I-70 from Vail to Denver is not really all that bad yes some steep grades . up to Johnson /Eisenhower from silverthorn is steep but only 6 miles , Vail pass heading easdt is steep but half way up you get a mile reprieve from the first climb of about 3 miles then the second up grade is just another maybe 4 miles . west up vail pass it a breeze . the steepest heading west is just outside gorgetown . i try to stay in the left lane then because the trucks will be going 25 to 30 and slow you down if your not ready . if no trucks that i'm passing i will get over but if i see one coming infront of me i will get over asap in order not to be slowed down . don't make a big deal out of these passes . there are not all that bad just take your time and don't expect to go 70 .