Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

Travel advice request Nebraska to Utah

We are planning a trip west from New Hampshire. Would like some suggestions for places to see, things to do and campgrounds from Omaha Nebraska to Salt Lake City, Utah via Cheyenne Wyoming. Have 21 foot travel trailer and two dogs. We have about a week to make this leg of our trip.
nh yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Gold Tee Box

Not sure what your interests are, but you will be traveling along the Oregon Trail emigration route much of the way along the Platte River. There are many historical sites along the way, too many to mention here.

Plenty of campgrounds also, refer to Campgroundreviews.com.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #3

You didn't mention what time of the year you're traveling. Used to live in Omaha in the mid-90s and the zoo was pretty nice. In Torrington, WY, there is a small city RV park that my brother stayed at and raves about. Cost was @ $15 per night, maybe less. As a word of caution, be aware of the winds of southern Wyoming.

Safe and happy travels.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #4

Pawnee State Recreation Area, Lincoln, NE - always very nice. There are some other state areas along the I-80 route. Some are within reach of the highway, some are farther afield. Be aware there will be park/vehicle fees and out-of-state rates. It's confusing on their state web site as I recall, but very easy to pay in an envelope once you arrive at the site. Reservations definitley needed depending on season.

There are some free or very inexpensive places to park for a night in the region too, in some of the local towns, but you have to look carefully to find them. (For example Pottawattamie County Fair Campground in Avoca IA, it.can.be.muddy) Usually they have limited to no facilities.

If you do go to Pawnee, call ahead for driving directions. It can be tricky to get to. Some of the roads that look just fine on the map are dirt farm roads that you will wish you hadn't taken your RV down (a friend told me this....LOL). And make sure you get directions to the campground itself not other parts of the Rec Area. There is a dump station but it's down the road a little bit so don't worry when you don't see it on the campground loop map.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:32 AM   #5

Check out Mahoney State Park in Nebraska. Next to SAC Air museum.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
ML6

If your a history buff, you can stop in North Platte and catch Buffalo Bill Cody ranch, small museum there some camping spots but it is limited. If you go thru in June you might catch Nebraskaland days. https://nebraskalanddays.com

But it might be tough to find a spot during that time. Safe travel.
GO BIG RED
ML6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #7

Camping along I-80: Morman Island State Recreation Area at Grand Island, Kearney SRA in Kearney, Johnson Island SRA at Lexington, Lake Maloney SRA at North Platte, Cabella's original store in Sidney (free). Nebraska has very nice RV spaces at all their SRAs and most have 50A electric.

Not-to-miss sights, especially if traveling with kids: Stuhr Plains Pioneer Museum in Grand Island, Great Platte River Road Archway, Ft. Kearny State Historic Park in Kearney, Gothenburg Pony Express Station (log cabin in city park), and Buffalo Bill Ranch mentioned earlier and UP Railroad yard visitor's center (Golden Spike Tower), both at North Platte.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #8

If you don’t mind mountain driving go through Rocky Mountain National Park and beyond to SLC. Or a northern route out of western Nebraska and see Chimney Rock, Independence Rock. We stayed at Country View in Ogalalla NE, nothing special, but quiet and clean for an overnight, then North on 26 to Chimney Rock and beyond. Nice quiet drive.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #9
ML6

Look at the Nebraska Game and Parks web page for camping. There is a fee to stay at a state parks as well as an entry fee to the parks. Just off I80, at Ogallala NE is lake McConaughy and lake Ogallala about 7 or 8 miles but a nice stay if you need a break. By the way I80 is maybe the quickest route but if you try almost any other route you can find something interesting along the route.
GO BIG RED
ML6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh yankee View Post
We are planning a trip west from New Hampshire. Would like some suggestions for places to see, things to do and campgrounds from Omaha Nebraska to Salt Lake City, Utah via Cheyenne Wyoming. Have 21 foot travel trailer and two dogs. We have about a week to make this leg of our trip.
Lot of miles to travel in a week and no time to sight see. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #11
LFGengler

Grew up in SW MN and mother was from the Sandhills of NE. The distances when looking at a map can fool a person from smaller states. I have lived my working live in northern ME and this comes to mind every year when out to visit family in the mid west. I think just using I80 as your main travel route, and as others have said there is so much to see, at least historically. Lyle
County RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #12

I may be wrong but I read that you have a week to travel from Omaha to Salt Lake.

So much to see. If interested in geology and off-the-beaten path sight-seeing I would get to Valentine, NE and travel North and West through the southern stretches of Badlands Nat'l Park, up to Wall Drug, then Rapid City, Spearfish and Deadwood, Belle Fourche and Devil's Tower, then start heading west from there. I would also want to hit Dinosaur Natl Monument in UT on the way.

So much to see and do and many opportunities to camp along the way. I did this once way back in the 80's and will do it again in the not too distant future. At that time I lived in Omaha and this was a memorable and interesting trip.

If taking a week from NH to Salt Lake, well forget about much sight seeing as the driving distances are very long...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #13

New Hampshire to Salt Lake City? Whew! Well, if you stay on I-80, it is doable but what a trip! What the heck, it's only about 2400 miles - one way. About four 600-mile days. While passing through Cheyenne WY, stop by the Union Pacific Visitor Center and see if the 844 and 4014 Big Boy steam locomotives are in the yard. The UP just finished a complete rebuild of the 4014 for the Golden Spike Sesquicentennial Celebration in Ogden UT. It is the only one operating and is the largest steam locomotive in the world. To get a look at it, go to YouTube and do a search. Well, have a safe trip no matter what road you take and enjoy the trip. Be sure to drink lots of water. The humidity is much lower than in New Hampshire and you will get dehydrated quickly, which could ruin your trip.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, utah