Old 06-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #1

Traveling west using northern routes

My wife and I are new to the RV lifestyle. We have a 2007 class A Georgetown. For 2 months we've staying on Nettles Island FL. We love it here but we want to travel west using northern routes (Interstate 94 & 90) out of Fargo N.D. to Seattle WA.

Does anyone have any tips, warnings, interesting places or other advice about that route? We have never seen that stretch of the US and would like to add that experience to our travel log.

We would be grateful for your help.

Chuck and Toni

Chuck1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #2

northern USA routes

we have traveled #2 form UP michigan to seattle x2 it was awesome ,2 lanes of great hwys through small towns and some cities No issues at all and lots of areas to stop/camp/boon dock and many wonderful people along the way ,gas prices are slightly higher but well worth the journey , enjoy !

gardia55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardia55 View Post
we have traveled #2 form UP michigan to seattle x2 it was awesome ,2 lanes of great hwys through small towns and some cities No issues at all and lots of areas to stop/camp/boon dock and many wonderful people along the way ,gas prices are slightly higher but well worth the journey , enjoy !
We took US 2 also, but we found services a bit sparse.

Whatever you do, make a detour north to Crater Lake National Park. Ride their trolley around the rim.

We also detoured north to Mt. Baker in Washington state which is a ski area but has a great overlook of the Cascade Mountains.

If you are new to rving, the interstates might be a better route.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #4

Hwy. 2 is great (I'm sitting almost on it in Northern Montana right now!). It runs thru Montana, Northern Idaho (very close to the Canadian border) and then drops down into Spokane, WA. You can continue with Hwy. 2 towards the west - Seattle. My choice would be to jump on Hwy. 20 that you would pick up in Newport, WA and follow it thru Washington. 2 lane road with beautiful scenery and enough services for comfortable travel. Keep following Hwy. 20 to Colville, on thru to Republic and Tonasket. It then follows Hwy. 97/20 to Okanogan where 20 leaves 97 and becomes the North Cascades Hwy. Wow. Breathtaking and beautiful with lots of little towns and various types of camping/rv parks.

Slower? You betcha, but a less busy and worth the time...in my opinion, and of course, for what it's worth Enjoy your trip.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:05 AM   #5

I agree with Oldgal3. I've driven most of WA throughout my days and highway 20 is the only way to go if you want to see the beauty of this state. Specifically, highway 20 passes through North Cascades National Park (free). In a few hours, you can be from a 5200 foot elevation to putting your feet in the Puget Sound at sea level.

Also, Winthrop and twisp are awesome small towns with lots of history and great rv campgrounds.
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #6

Lastly, views like this need no explanation....Click image for larger version

Name:	20170703_114850.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	177018

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #7

Now if you really want to run the I-94 interstate across North Dakota well there ain't much until you get to Theodore Roosevelt NP. That's worth a stop and a look around. Eastern Montana is pretty much the same until Livingston and if you have a toad maybe do a side trip into Yellowstone NP. The Missouri Headwaters state park at mp 278 is an interesting stop.

And that's about all I know about that part of the country.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #8

If you take I-90 you have the Badlands, the Black Hills & Mt Rushmore in South Dakota, Devils Tower NM in Wyoming, the Little Bighorn battlefield in Montana, Yellowstone NP & Glacier NP. (If you decide to go that direction, PM me and I will give you details of our several trips through there.)
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #9

On your return you could follow the Columbia River. Take the old road on the Washington side instead of the interstate on the Oregon side if you can.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
Lastly, views like this need no explanation....Attachment 177018
Did you find the F150 capable for your trailer (weight ? ) on US 2 ?

davez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel