Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #1

Trip Planning

So it's cold and snowy here on the Western Slope of Colorado - what else to do but plan our camping trips for the Spring!

We just got our Rockwood trailer late last summer so we're kind of new to the trip planning thing and would like to know about any recommendations as to planning tools, sites, or other advice.

We're thinking about trip from Grand Junction, CO to Sunset Bay State Park in Oregon. I-80 looks like a nice direct route but where to stay along the way? How many miles a day to plan on?

Sure hope gas prices stay down where they are!

Thanks in advance for the help,
John

Old 12-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #2

John, you live in one of the greatest camping states in the union, and you're planning to go somewhere else?
Just kidding, although I think Colorado is awesome.
We have been to the Oregon coast a few times, and it is really nice. But we haven't camped there, so cannot be much help. But I am sure you will like it. Have you been through the redwoods out there? That is something to see.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #3

Anywhere you choose on the Oregonn coast will be spectacular with lots to do. There are a multitute of public and private camgrounds depending on your wants & needs

I have been over most of you proposed route at different times except for crossing Nevada. We usually go through Boise on 84 since home is north of Seattle. Once you reach the Oregon Cascades, Bend area, you my want to stay a while since there is a lot to see and do in that area and to the Pacific. We like to cover 200-300 miles per day or less but it depends on how much time you have. It looks like about 1200 miles based on Google maps.

There are lots of camping options long the way (probably fewer in Nevaada). We use DeLorme mapping software to plan our route and Allstays Camp and RV to identify campgrounds.

Have fun

BTW: They still pump gas for you in Oregon but it is still cheaper than Washington.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I do extensive searching on the internet, focusing mainly on state parks. In particular, we look for parks that have lots of hiking or hiking nearby. In some cases I'm looking at National Forests for hiking and state parks close by as the NF parks seldom offer any electrical hook-up. If you narrow it down, you can look at images and reviews posted to get a feel.

I use Garmin software for routing and a per day limit around 400 - 450 miles. Once the route is determined, I look for overnite campsites very close to the route selected...if we're travelling a few days in a row, I don't want to wander too far off the route.

I've also used Google Earth street view to look at any county or secondary roads that may be in the routing. I've also be able to use Google Earth to help select campsites.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:16 AM   #5

besides using MS Streets & Trips and Google Earth (w/street view) I use these :

RV Park Reviews :: Home

I've also got a couple of great "road travel" books (stuck away and can't remember the names) but check your Library and your book-selling store - there's a bunch of info written/pictured at those 2 places

and these for gas prices/locations :
Pilot Flying J

GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada

Fuel Center

we did stay at one place on the Oregon Coast a couple of years ago - Humbug State Park - just for a overnight and can't remember too much about it - I think it's "on-line".....Bill
Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #6

One resource we have with us on the road is a Woodall’s Campground Directory. The best laid plans can go awry and at some point you might find yourself trying to find an RV park or campground in an area not in your original plans. There is also a Trailer Life Directory which is just as good as the Woodall’s, it just a matter of preference.

For actual trip planning I use the above mentioned directory along with MS Streets and Trips, Google Earth, and rvparkreviews.com. We usually try to limit ourselves to a max of 350 miles per day.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #7

Are you going from point a to b? We think its not the trip but the journey. We travel back roads as much as possible. 200 to 300 miles per day. There is SO MUCH to see if you stay off the interstate. Just our way, no inflection on anyone. Just being able to be out and about is where it at for us.

Wayne and Donna
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #8

Thanks all for the great ideas, links, and, resources. Time to plot our course and make a first guess at our stops.

Happy New Year to all,
John
Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #9

If you are a military veteran there are bases across this great nation that have camp grounds that can be used. Here is the link U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks
2011 Greywolf 26rl "Wounded Wolf"
camped 2013 94 days 2014 24 days

nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #10

Another good resource for fifth wheel owners is the truckers low clearances website that lists low clearances for each state. Here's a link Low Clearances

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote