Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #1

US 1 to Carmel/Monterey CA

I am planning a West trip (from Virginia) this year. While in California visiting Sequoia NP and Yosemite I would like to travel from Cambria to Carmel as I understand US 1 is beautiful through there. My question for someone who has done this is would it be better to leave the fifth wheel near one of the above parks and make the drive without the camper or just pull it?

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo Dad View Post
I am planning a West trip (from Virginia) this year. While in California visiting Sequoia NP and Yosemite I would like to travel from Cambria to Carmel as I understand US 1 is beautiful through there. My question for someone who has done this is would it be better to leave the fifth wheel near one of the above parks and make the drive without the camper or just pull it?
My suggestion would be to not take the camper, in my opinion part of the experience of that drive is being able to stop, shop, and wander around as you go and finding parking with a camper will be a huge challenge. Carmel is a great little town to wander around and eat in, but has "no" camper parking.

Not sure what your timing is for the length of time to spend, but the distance between Cambria and Carmel is only 100 miles and there are a number of campgrounds in between the two, so you could anchor yourself in the middle and spend a couple days along that beautiful stretch of coast. Enjoy the trip, I play Pebble Beach every year but have never camped out there.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #3

Several weeks ago they had a mud slide on 1 just south of Carmel and took out part of the highway. We were just there and they said it would be a month or two before it would be repaired. I'm sure it will be repaired by the time you get there. Nice area, but bring a jacket, its cool, or it was for us.
Reese 18K hitch - Garmin 1690 GPS
2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Long Box, Smartair
Nights camped in 2011: 120
Traveler II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:46 AM   #4

Thanks, I think I will leave the camper at the campsite. The trip would probably be more enjoyable.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #5

I have been through that area a few times on my motorcycle. Beautiful stretch of scenic hi way. There are some nice beach towns that you can stop in to shop or get some wonderful seafood to eat. These beach towns get pretty crowded with tourist that will be doing the same thing you are. Parking in a car is tough enough. For this reason I would suggest leaving the RV behind that way you can really enjoy yourselves on your journey. There are also some great places to pull over off the hi way to take some great pictures of the coast. For me pulling the RV would be a stress adder and take away from the enjoyment. What ever you choose have a great time, the Carmel/ Monterey Bay area is beautiful.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #6

Hwy 1

Quote:
Hi,
You may have already made your trip, but here is some input from a semi-local...
I live in San Jose about 1-1.5 hrs North of Carmel / Monterey & I agree with the other folks on leaving the trailer. Hwy 1 is a two lane twisty road with very few pull-outs for trailers. You'll have a better time just driving. Also, as mentioned there is no camper parking in Carmel & you would be hard pressed to make a turn to get out.
Hope you will enjoy or did enjoy your trip!
Celicabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #7

Thanks to all! We had an awesome 5 week trip. We left the 5er at a campground and took some great pic's of the pacific coast along with many other sites.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks to all! We had an awesome 5 week trip. We left the 5er at a campground and took some great pic's of the pacific coast along with many other sites.
I love that area! Now that it's over would you had been comfortable with towing the fw through that area?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #9

I could have pulled the 5er down 1 but I would not have been able to pull off at many of the overlooks and that would have been disappointing. I also could not have driven into Carmel like I did.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS