Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #1

US-199 Northern California / Southern Oregon

I heard that there was a maximum vehicle length on this road. Everything I can find has to do with Coaches no info on Trailer/Tow vehicle combined length? Does anyone out there know the law? We will be coming down the Oregon Coast this summer and then heading to the 5 from Bookings, all of the mapping programs tell us the fastest route is up US199. We are going with a group of friends. I believe I am the longest vehicle combination. 34ft trailer plus a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram. Can anyone give me clarification on this Law?
FarmerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #2

According to California DOT Truck map, there are no restrictions on the US199 route, I also looked at Oregon DOT with similar results.

Here is one of the links. http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...uckmap-d01.pdf
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #3

This map shows the restriction. It is talking about Buses and Motor homes. I didn't know if truck/trailer would apply as some information I have found states combined length.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/tr...busmap-d01.pdf
Old 05-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #4

you're right, two different maps of the same area, yours specifically addresses the motor homes. On the truck map, it states it is a CA Legal Advisory Route, I looked that up and that refers to truck KPRA (king pin to rear axle) limit of 40 feet not recommended, also they state California is not able to restrict the trucks, but advise trucks not to use the road. The further explanation is that a truck with a longer KPRA will have trouble tracking within their lane and the driver will be responsible for any damages incurred by not being able to stay within their lane.

I also looked to see if there were any descriptions for the motorhomes or buses, as in your list, but I couldn't see any. I would suppose that if your rig is less than 40 feet from hitch to rear axle you should be ok.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #5

We have driven this road. Not with a towed unit though. There are lots of warning signs about vehicle length and after driving it in a Suburban I would heed the signs on length. Locals seem to have a lack of patience and know how to use the horn. It is one of the most beautiful (awesome) drives we have ever been on. Don't get distracted driving as in a lot of places there are no shoulders or barriers. Long way down!!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #6

Do you remember what the lengths were on the signs? We really want to take this route as it is going to save us a bunch of time. I drove it once a long time ago in a car and I remember the road having no shoulder, other then that it seemed fine. As for locals honking, there is a lot of distance from the back of my trailer to the front of my cab. We will have a caravan of 3 truck/trailer combinations, so we should really make some friends! It has been my experience that California drivers tend to stay way back when they see Montana license plates. My guess is they are worried that the last thing we drove was a horse drawn carriage.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #7

Sorry, don't remember the footage, I remember the signs saying that 5th wheel trailers are not recommended. They are not banned, just not recommended.

After seeing the 3rd sign giving this warning and having driven the road for a while I remember saying, "No Kidding!" I remember one big motorhome having to cross half over into the on coming lane to make a turn on the road and it was a blind turn to-boot.

You could try emailing a tourist info center along the route and ask them.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
Site Team

we've driven it with our 23' HTT and it was not a problem.
lots of big rigs drive it and i saw quite a few 5th wheel rigs going thru it.

didn't consider it that bad, but i've driven Highway 1, the entire length of it, in Calif. and Oregon.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
redwoods, road restrictions