Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

US RT 2 across ND

We will be headed out West taking US RT 2 from the U.P. in MI to Glacier N.P. Any suggestions for nice campgrounds or "must see" items? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We are headed out after the Labor day weekend.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ and Louie the wonder dog
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:21 PM   #2

We went the opposite direction last Fall. The Great Lakes information Center makes a nice mid day break stop. We mostly stayed at KOA but found a nice City/County park between Gladstone and Escanaba.

We really enjoyed the Duluth area and stayed 2 nights at the KOA in Carlton.

We stayed a couple of nights in a city park in Crookston MN. Not really too much there but I did some research on my great gand parents who lived a few miles up the road in Fisher.

Crossing prairies, we spent nights in Minot ND, and Malta Mt. to avoid Williston. The Roughrider park in Minot was mostly full timers and old. The city park in Malta was just off the highway, a bit rustic, but inexpensive. Not too bad for overnight but definately not a resort.

At Glacier, we stayed in the KOA at West Glacier (Halfmoon Flats) it was pretty nice with large soots.

Along the way, there are a number of museums and attraction but the mostly v were closed by late September. We were using the US Routes guide. Sorry, I forget the name and the MH is not hear v right now.

Have fun.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:29 PM   #3

Thanks coupevillefish! How was US RT 2? The maps show it to be good highway and mostly divided. I have been on it in MI before but not for many years. Just thought it would be nice to stay off the interstates for a change.

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 07-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #4

I would say it was mostly 2 lane with sections of divided. We did it with our 35' GT plus toad and had no concerns at all.

We were quite surprised at the amount of productive farm land and forest across the country starting in Everett, WA. Almost all of it was being used.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #5

Again many thanks for your input. This trip is something I have dreamed about all my life. I have done a lot of travelling and camping over the years but it was always hurry, hurry, hurry. Have to get back to work etc. Well now the wife and I are retired and looking forward to just taking our time and NOT being in a hurry. Safe travels to u my friend

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 07-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #6

Btw, kg7jca
Old 07-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #7

Medora in western ND is a great place, Teddy Roosevelt National park is right there also. Western ND has some great sights.
Medora also has a CG, not the best....but not bad, gravel, pretty level but a little cramped, ok for an overnighter

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #8

Well hello KG7JCA! Always nice to meet another ham camper. Check me out on QRZ.com, I have some pics of me and my station here in KY. I live in FL in winter but don't have any place to put up an antenna there, lots of restrictions. I was going to try and put my rig in the camper for this trip but I decided against it. This is a new camper for us(used one time) so I will be busy shaking down everything I am sure. Maybe the next trip I can get set up for some ham radio. Again very nice to meet David and maybe in the future we can talk again.

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 07-30-2015, 11:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Camper View Post
Well hello KG7JCA! Always nice to meet another ham camper. Check me out on QRZ.com, I have some pics of me and my station here in KY. I live in FL in winter but don't have any place to put up an antenna there, lots of restrictions. I was going to try and put my rig in the camper for this trip but I decided against it. This is a new camper for us(used one time) so I will be busy shaking down everything I am sure. Maybe the next trip I can get set up for some ham radio. Again very nice to meet David and maybe in the future we can talk again.
I need to join qrz. I installed a 2 meter antenna on the back of the MH and joined several nets on our cross country trip. HF is next but at home first.

Enjoy
Old 07-31-2015, 12:06 PM   #10

I'll second the KOA in West Glacier. Just got back from there. Nice facilities, wonderful slots with views.
JCJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #11

Koa west glacier

KOA West Glacier KOA is the best. Level pads, full patios with gas grill and patio furniture. Beautifully landscaped with spectacular mountain views. We were there in June of last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KOA WEST GLACIER1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	84652   Click image for larger version

Name:	KOA WEST GLACIER2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	84653  
stansoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:27 PM   #12

Thank you JCjeep, will check it out for sure. We plan on being around the Glacier area for a week or so. That KOA sounds nice!

2015 GMC Denali HD
Old 07-31-2015, 05:11 PM   #13

Devils Lake area has many nice campgrounds, Grahams Island State Park is very nice, Turtle River State Park is just west of Grand Forks. Lewis and Clark State Park near Williston is nice although somewhat out of your way. All state parks are 1st come 1st serve after Labor Day but probably mostly open as school has started. There are a couple of campgrounds in Minot ND however they have been inundated with workcampers and not always the nicest places to stay, I know Roughrider Campground has not updated their website since before the floods 4 years ago so it is very misleading. Oh and absolutely DO NOT stay at Buffalo Trails KOA in Williston it's a dump.
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #14

Info on ND State Parks can be found at http://www.parkrec.nd.gov. If you call parks directly they may reserve something after Labor Day but not sure. Sites with water and electricity are $25 a night and $30 if they also have sewer hook up. All parks have dump stations.
Oh and traffic around Williston isn't as bad as it was even just a year ago. When leaving Minot it picks up around Stanley and drops off again in MT just west of Culbertson.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #15

We passed thru US 2 form Minot to Shelby about six weeks ago. Road was fine but beware the oil boom towns in ND and the campgrounds tight and a little tramped/worn out. Numerous contractors/vendors with work hours. Facilities may be lacking/poor/overused.
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymedic View Post
We passed thru US 2 form Minot to Shelby about six weeks ago. Road was fine but beware the oil boom towns in ND and the campgrounds tight and a little tramped/worn out. Numerous contractors/vendors with work hours. Facilities may be lacking/poor/overused.
This is why state parks are a good option. No work campers allowed or only for short-term (3 days max)