Old 08-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Steelhorzz

Utah to Nebraska via I70

We're planning a trip right now which one leg will take us from Green River UT to North Platte NE via Denver over the I70. It's been quite a few years since I was over the road. We are traveling in our Georgetown 360 with toad, (PT Cruiser). Was just wondering if anyone had any info on grade, length of time to climb that section. Or are there any other roads you might recommend which are I easier and still scenic. I know I'll probably be in the far right lane in the way up and down, just crawling along. I don't have any issues with steep grades, just take your time, drive safe and smart, but my DW worries..... Thanks!

Old 09-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #2

In July I went from Manila, UT thru Green River then thru North Platte via I-80, no mountains to speak of. How are you getting on I-70 from Green River? I went from Manila down to Vernal, UT and Dinosaur, CO, great scenery, be prepared for steep grades in this area and West of Denver on I-70.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Steelhorzz

We are coming up from LA on the 15 thru St. George and then cutting over onto the 70. I guess the only other way to go if I wanted to bypass the steep inclines to Denver would be to to Salt Lake and cut over to the 80 or go across the 40 and up the 25. The southern route is pretty bleak. I've done it a number of times.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #4

I suggest I-15 to I-70 then I-25 to I-80. You will have good scenery along the way, four lane highways, some steep grades but nothing white knuckle, you can handle it. If you return to LA go I-80 to I-15 then south for something a little different. As I said earlier, this summer we traveled thru this whole area on our way to CO, UT, NV, CA, OR, ID, MT.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:04 PM   #5

I would take I15 over. It is a really a nice drive. Not only through the Rockies but also through the heart of the San Rafael Swell. Only thing I would recommend is really pay attention to the long downhills through the swell. They can sneak up on you since they tend to be long and not that steep. But well marked by the state.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #6

I've taken I70 from Nevada to Denver several times. It's quite a grade going up the mountains and, if I remember right, the high point is Vale Pass at almost 11,000 ft. There's a lot of cars, trucks and RV's on this route and everyone is going pretty slow up the hills. A few people with older cars forget to turn off their AC's and end up alongside the road overheated. But the views are fantastic and we have stopped at several places to eat or enjoy the view.

2016 Sunseeker 3050DS towing 2006 Hummer H3

WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #7

Vale pass is 10662, Eisenhower Tunnel is 11,158 feet, and I believe the highest point on any US interstate.
Going up is slow, but also make sure to remain slow when coming down, and downshift if needed.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
utah