Old 01-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Vegas to Yosemite

Got a question. We are planning a trip, starting in June, to go out to Grand Canyon (south rim) from there for a couple of days in Vegas and then want to visit Yosemite. The route I am looking at is up 95 from Vegas to hwy 6 then west on hwy 120 to hwy 395. On 395 to Lee Vinings where we will camp and tour Yosemite with the toad. Leaving Lee Vinings, we will travel up 395 to Reno.

Has anyone been this route? Particularly Hwy 120 across to Hwy 395 and Hwy 395 north to Reno.

Running a Georgetown 351ds with toad.

awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:41 AM   #2

No traveling advice but rv parks on Vegas. The KOA on the strip (circus circus) is just a parking lot in a questionable area- also to be into reconstruction now or soon. Sams town is nice but just a bit from the strip. Another member here was very disappointed with duck creek. Oasis is supposed to be very nice.

Now the disclaimer- I have never stayed at these places cause I live here but I know the areas and heard the reviews from travelers.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 01:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Got a question. We are planning a trip, starting in June, to go out to Grand Canyon (south rim) from there for a couple of days in Vegas and then want to visit Yosemite. The route I am looking at is up 95 from Vegas to hwy 6 then west on hwy 120 to hwy 395. On 395 to Lee Vinings where we will camp and tour Yosemite with the toad. Leaving Lee Vinings, we will travel up 395 to Reno.

Has anyone been this route? Particularly Hwy 120 across to Hwy 395 and Hwy 395 north to Reno.
I've traveled from LA to Lee Vining to Yosemite, and from LA to Vegas, but not from Vegas to Le Vining. However, I wanted to point out that your projected route is about 40 minutes slower than the route that maps.google.com recommends if I put in a starting point of Las Vegas and an ending point of Lee Vining. Is that an intentional detour?

I can say that the 395 is smooth sailing.

The google maps route is 95 to 266 to 168 to 395. That route passes through Bishop, which is a good town to pass through since gas prices are cheaper than Lee Vining, and there are more shops for those last minute purchases along the way. Lee Vining is sort of a resort town, with fewer choices and higher prices. You'll actually bypass Lee Vining as you turn from 395 to Tioga Pass Road if you take this route (Lee Vining would be about 5 minutes ahead if you didn't turn onto Tioga).

You may find yourself going into Lee Vining anyway, at some point in the trip since it's located conveniently close to the Tioga entrance to Yosemite.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Thanks for replies. The route I chose was based on another post I found where an RV'er had come from the reverse direction. Lee Vining to Vegas and took this route. I am simply looking for the best route with the least grades. We have been to Vegas several times, but never to Yosemite. We thought we would give it a shot this time. We plan on going on up to Reno, thus the reason for asking about hwy 395. From Reno we will start back toward home, heading back east on I80.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #5

Just came across this thread. I notice you didn't say when in June you plan to go. Sites in Yosemite (especially ones large enough to handle your rig) are minimal, and will sell out w/in seconds of when the booking window opens...especially for June. Arrival dates for up to June 14 are already booked.

I have only been on the road from 395 to Benton on a bicycle, and I remember a pretty good grade between Benton and Black lake. And of course heading up Tioga Pass into the park is a very long/steep grade as well (have done both ways on the bike as well when camping at Tuolumne Meadows).

As someone else mentioned, 395 from to Reno is a great road, and if you do come up from Bishop you could do the June Lakes loop, nice and scenic (especially on a bicycle!)

Obviously Ca. is going through a drought, and if it continues snow won't be an issue, but as can see from this chart, in 2011 Tioga pass didn't even open until June 18th; Tioga and Glacier Point Roads Opening & Closing Dates - Yosemite National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

We generally stop at Whoa Nellie Deli when in the area. Nice little break before heading up Tioga Pass: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...alifornia.html

And has been mentioned, gas prices in Lee Vining are over a dollar higher per gallon than in Reno, and about 80 cents higher than in Bishop.

I worked in Yosemite for 2 summers and winter back in '64-'65, and have been camping there my whole life. Now we take the grand-kids up every spring break.

Steve

Tags
gas