Old 07-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #1

Visit to S.F.

We will be going to visit San. Francisco area in Sept. of 2013, I was hoping for some help with nice campgrounds in the area and as much info
on the area as possible. from their we will be heading toward Vegas area.
all info will be greatly appreciated

kdcamper 2011 Chev 3500lt c.c
2013 Rockwood 8329SS Diamond pkge.
days camping 2013 6 and counting

Old 07-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #2

We stayed at Costanoa resort over the July 4 weekend. It's a beautiful place along the coast about 50 miles south of SF; it's an easy day trip. Nearby towns of Pescadero and Half Moon Bay are nice to visit as well. It's a KOA facility with a lodge, restaurant/bar, and spa on the property as well. I recommend the Seascape loop. Full hookups at all sites.

The Pacifica RV "resort" is much closer to the City, but it's basically a parking lot on a bluff above the ocean. Its location is the best thing about it. We last stayed there about four years ago. It had fallen into disrepair and we left with no desire to return.

Others can provide suggestions for campgrounds north or east of the City. There should be lots of choices. Have a great trip!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

basically, there's no place IN S.F. to stay(though one member here argued that point, with everyone that attempted to help him).
you have to stay outside the City. Pacifica is well liked. Petaluma KOA is loved by those with families.
if you're into wine, Napa Valley has a number of places and is close to S.F.
Pleasanton has the Fairgrounds to stay at.
and there's Coyote Valley RV resort in Morgan Hill, south of San Jose.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #4

We stayed at Napa Valley Expo (basically a county fairgrounds with various events during the year) in June 2011, nice level pull-thru concrete sites. Took the ferry across the bay to the wharf in SF, much easier than driving into the city and trying to find parking. Lots of good restaurants within walking distance plus cable car stations along the way.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #5

We haven't visited too many campgrounds yet but I am from the SF Bay Area and now live about an hour from North Lake Tahoe. What route will you be taking once out of SF? You won't want to stay in the city but there are plenty of places to visit outside of SF. I currently live in the mountains above Sacramento so if you plan is to travel EB 80 into Nevada. I can recommend a few that we have personally stAyed at in our travel trailer.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #6

first of all thanks for all info, just wondering about places and things to in and around San. Fran. I thought about heading toward Reno and then down to Vegas any thoughts and helpful info about that route would be appreciated.

kdcamper
Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #7

Will you be wanting to stay at rv campgrounds along the way?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #8

We will be going to Westport beach next week. It is probably about 90 miles north of SF on Highway 1. On the coast. I have never camped there but we are pretty excited. It was formally a KOA campground so it has full Hookups.

We live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada so Rollins Lake is about 5 minutes from our house but we have camped there too. We have stayed both on the Long Ravine side and the Orchard Springs side. Both are really nice but we preferred the Orchard Springs side. Ask for the site right next to the beach access. You will love it! I think it is space 258.

Also, if you go to Reno and have kids, stop at Wild Island waterside park. I believe it is in Sparks but it is right outside of Reno and near there is a RV park as well.

We camped at Cisco Grove several times and it was fun except the water is way too cold to go into. Great spot if you like hiking. That is along the way to Reno. It is before Truckee. Also Cisco grove allows off road vehicles to be driven right out of your campsite of you are brining one.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #9

We liked Olema Ranch campground - North of San Fran in Marin County. Near Point Reyes S.P., Easy drive into San Fran. All the amenities., and when we were there it was very clean and well maintained, level sites.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #10

We will be camping all the way there and all the way home. hope to be on the road for 4 weeks or so. No longer have to worry about kids. Hope to leave around Sept. 9/13 is it still busy around San Fran. area or do you think we have to book. never been to the area except to drive through the area on our way home from LA. Should have taken some time then to visit the area.

kdcamper