Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #1

Visiting Arches NP this year?

Some info if you are thinking of it....

Arches plans road closures during construction - Moab Sun News: News

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:27 PM   #2

No camping either.

"Devils Garden Campground is closed Mar. 1 - Nov. 30."

2017 Ford F150 w/ 3.5 EB
2014 Coachmen Viking 17FQ

Colorful Colorado
La Plata View is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

Yep.
I'm wondering if they will also close the two backroad routes into the park? Guess at night they would have too, but not sure about the daytime.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #4

According to the NPS information, the main heavy work will be done overnight when visitors are not present (for safety, and I'm sure to get some actual work done instead of constantly directing traffic...). The park will be open during the days but there will be intermittent and not necessarily announced road AND trail closures. As mentioned above, the inside campground will also be closed. We do plan to visit and stay outside the park - if interested get reservations ASAP. We will rent a car as no point in trying to move an RV around in that mess. (Hint: Enterprise Rent-a-Car in Moab only had 5 cars left when we reserved ours. There might be others at the Moab Airport location?) But we only plan to spend one day there and hope for the best given the likely traffic problems and trail issues. We will also visit Canyonlands NP while staying near Arches since it's within close driving distances.

On this trip we will be visiting [CO] Colorado National Monument, [UT] Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Capitol Reef NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP, [AZ] North Rim of Grand Canyon NP, [UT] Glen Canyon Dam at Lake Powell, [CO] Mesa Verde NP, Canyons of the Ancients NM and other local historic sites along the Trail of the Ancients, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, Great Sand Dunes NP, and Florissant Fossil Beds NM. We'll probably stop at Garden of the Gods near Colorado Springs though we have seen it before, because it's breathtaking.

So excited! It has taken a LOT of work to get this set up and we go in May. The trip will take four full weeks. Some of these areas can still get quite cool to cold at night, so we have tended to opt for private campgrounds outside the parks so we can get electricity for heat, at least. For example, Florissant Fossil Beds can get down to 35 even towards the end of May!* (And of course A/C during the day might even be needed.)

Three exceptions are we will stay in the Saddlehorn Campground at Colorado NM without hookups just to enjoy the amazing red rock view from up on the ridge (Rim Rock Road); we will stay at the Waheap Campground at Glen Canyon Dam which has full hookups; and we will stay in the South Rim Campground at Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP because they have electric sites available! (Most if not all of of the other NPs mentioned do not.)

* Go to www.weather.com and click on "Monthly" for a specific location and move to the month of interest - for example, either May 2016 for recent results or more usefully look at May 2017 where you will see average Hi/Low as well as record Hi/Low for each day.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
On this trip we will be visiting [CO] Colorado National Monument, [UT] Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Capitol Reef NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP, [AZ] North Rim of Grand Canyon NP, [UT] Glen Canyon Dam at Lake Powell, [CO] Mesa Verde NP, Canyons of the Ancients NM and other local historic sites along the Trail of the Ancients, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, Great Sand Dunes NP, and Florissant Fossil Beds NM. We'll probably stop at Garden of the Gods near Colorado Springs though we have seen it before, because it's breathtaking.

Three exceptions are we will stay in the Saddlehorn Campground at Colorado NM without hookups just to enjoy the amazing red rock view from up on the ridge (Rim Rock Road); we will stay at the Waheap Campground at Glen Canyon Dam which has full hookups; and we will stay in the South Rim Campground at Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP because they have electric sites available!
. A couple of recommendations from a local. After visiting Florissant and before Garden of the Gods, try Mueller State Park near Cripple Creek or, if full, Cheyenne Mtn. SP just south of CO Spgs. for W/E camping sites. Both are scenic and the sites are generally very nice, especially at Mueller.

Also consider staying on US 50 east of Salida and turning north at CO 9. Then take the High Park Road to Florissant. Much more scenic and much less traffic than US 285 and US 24.

Have a great time!

PS: We have had snow in Denver on Memorial Day more than once and I once camped in a tent in Cripple Creek during a July 4 snowstorm.
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #6

Car and Jeep rentals...
https://canyonlandsjeep.com/

I recommend them, but have to admit the owner and manager are friends of mine.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #7

We are going to Moab in June and I have been reading about this and the construction that could possibly hinder some of our plans. One thing it already affected was the Fiery Furnace Hike reservations. Normally you would be able to book ahead but because of the construction they dont have that opportunity.

This is a HUGE bucket list trip for me and the family, maybe more so for me since I have never traveled out West to this area.

Regardless Im sure we will have a great time out in the area and hope this construction wont hinder us.
jbhodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #8

Here is some more information if interested https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/construction.htm
jbhodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #9

We're going the last week of March. Getting pretty excited to go.
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
. A couple of recommendations from a local. After visiting Florissant and before Garden of the Gods, try Mueller State Park near Cripple Creek or, if full, Cheyenne Mtn. SP just south of CO Spgs. for W/E camping sites. Both are scenic and the sites are generally very nice, especially at Mueller.

Also consider staying on US 50 east of Salida and turning north at CO 9. Then take the High Park Road to Florissant. Much more scenic and much less traffic than US 285 and US 24.

Have a great time!

PS: We have had snow in Denver on Memorial Day more than once and I once camped in a tent in Cripple Creek during a July 4 snowstorm.
Thanks for the recommendations!

We were wanting to stay at Mueller SP, however they have posted that their dump station is out of order indefinitely, so I figured since we would have to pay to go somewhere else, we might as well stay at a place with connections as we would only be staying overnight and not enjoying the park itself.

I'll check out those local roads!

Yipes on those snow reports! I hope it doesn't snow on us but we'll take whatever comes our way.

Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Car and Jeep rentals...
https://canyonlandsjeep.com/

I recommend them, but have to admit the owner and manager are friends of mine.
Cool - thanks!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #12

Updates from NPS on Arches construction:

Arches National Park‏ Verified account @ArchesNPS Mar 13
Nightly road closures begin tonight at 7 pm. We expect closures to occur Sunday-Thursday nights. (cw) http://go.nps.gov/archesconstruction
0 replies 10 retweets 10 likes
Reply Retweet 10
Like 10

Arches National Park‏ Verified account @ArchesNPS Mar 10
CONSTRUCTION UPDATE: Nightly road closures begin Monday night 7 pm to 7 am. No closures Fri & Sat nights. http://go.nps.gov/archesconstruction … (cw)
0 replies 3 retweets 9 likes
Reply Retweet 3
Like 9

Full link is here, but no more new detail is available here that I could see on a quick review.:

https://t.co/Davk5Iuxrl
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #13

PS: updates from Zion NP. It's Game On!

Zion National Park ‏Verified account @ZionNPS Mar 17

The Visitor Center Parking lot is full. Please find parking in town and ride the shuttle to the park. Thank You.
3 replies 10 retweets 37 likes
Reply 3 Retweet 10
Liked 37

Zion National Park‏ Verified account @ZionNPS Mar 15

South Campground is full.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #14

Update just released:

https://www.nps.gov/arch/learn/news/news033117.htm
Old 04-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #15

No comment needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1118.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	133826
Old 04-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #16

Glad I went last week!
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
No comment needed.

Attachment 133826
One of the reasons that when I had company, and they just had to see Arches, i took them in the backway. No lines....

Old 04-05-2017, 02:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
Glad I went last week!

How was the traffic and such? They must have made some progress, because this week they are striping the main road.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #19

Visiting Arches NP this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
One of the reasons that when I had company, and they just had to see Arches, i took them in the backway. No lines....

BLM 144-145-146 or the Copper Ridge roads?

They don't connect with the main road, do they?

Except Salt Valley Road. Is that a bear? Or BLM 378?
Old 04-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #20

MNtraveler...
Quote:
So excited! It has taken a LOT of work to get this set up and we go in May. The trip will take four full weeks.
I've been to all the spots that you mentioned, but not all at the same times, and certainly not done in 4 weeks!!!

Slow down and smell the roses... each Nat'l park can take a week to see most of the sights and actually enjoy them, without a driveby look-see... AND there is so much to SEE just driving from point to point.

travel safe and have fun!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote