Old 08-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #51

Totally agree. Walmart of cracker Barrel. It's all about the convenience and a few hours sleep. I just can't see finding a campground and driving miles off the highway just to go to sleep and keep going in the morning. Besides, at Cracker Barrel is a good and quick dinner and breakfast as well.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #52

When we stop at a campground all we use is water,electric, and sewer. I could care less where people camp at but I think eventually all towns will pass ordnances to stop camping at Walmart. If the town has that rule not even Walmart's drivers can park at the store. I plan all the stops before I ever leave home. I have sometimes drove big miles but I always planned the stops out. I have slept in a tent a lot of nights and I hope to again before this year is over, walking the Appalachian Trail. Again I could care less where someone camps at. I do see that as more people retire, I see more campers at Walmart and not just stopped for the night but using Walmart for a campground. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #53

We come from Canada into the US for summer camping and NASCAR races. Going through the border, they do not allow most fresh groceries such as milk, eggs, fruit, veg, meat etc. When we cross the border, our fridges are completely empty.

We like to stay at a 24 hour Walmart, so we can shop for all our groceries (usually $250+, pack them away in the fridges, have a good nights sleep and then get back on the Interstate at about 7:00 after breakfast at Walmart.

From that point on we normally stay at camp grounds. For us it not about ability to pay, it is the speed and efficiency to stop, buy groceries, sleep and get back on the road so we can get to where we are going as soon as possible..
Old 08-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #54

Regards to all towns passing ordnances against campers staying at Walmart.
I don't disagree with you. However Walmart has done studies and
they know that the "average" camper spends $35 in Walmart every
stay & Walmart wants that money.
If Walmart "owns the land" under their stores, as apposed to renting the land, then there's very little the town can do. Most towns and their people
are glad to have a Walmart around for jobs and such so I don't think
every town will be passing ordnances.
Then there's the Canadian's including me who do serious shopping
on their way south.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:20 PM   #55

I don't think Walmart owns the land, it's all leased. My son drives for Walmart, he says if the town has a ordnances against RV parking then he can't park there for a overnight stop. The neighborhood markets that Walmart is putting in prevents most RV from parking there, you can't get in the parking lot. I can't get in to the fuel stations there, no room

Old 08-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
Regards to all towns passing ordnances against campers staying at Walmart.
I don't disagree with you. However Walmart has done studies and
they know that the "average" camper spends $35 in Walmart every
stay & Walmart wants that money.
If Walmart "owns the land" under their stores, as apposed to renting the land, then there's very little the town can do. Most towns and their people
are glad to have a Walmart around for jobs and such so I don't think
every town will be passing ordnances.
Then there's the Canadian's including me who do serious shopping
on their way south.

It's not good when a Walmart comes to town, they drive most of the other stores out of business and Walmart is not the best paying jobs around, China mart.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:04 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I think Walmart should ban overnight camping in there parking lots. You can't afford to stay at a campground you can't afford to travel. Just my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
It's not good when a Walmart comes to town, they drive most of the other stores out of business and Walmart is not the best paying jobs around, China mart.
Most of the affluent use this argument but their real motive is they don't want a Walmart in the town because it attract those less fortunate who pay with food stamps and are looking for the most for their money.

Big box retailers, including Walmart, do factually pay more however. They provide opportunity for careers advancement. They hire 100's of locals and it's been found that home values actually rise in the vicinity of the Super Walmart.

But the big reason is it provides a place for us cheapsckates to overnight. ha

This discussion probably not relevant to the Walmart overnighting discussion. It's a changing world, Amazon and online shopping is biting into Walmart and other brick and motar businesses. Walmart just bought Jet online shopping to compete with Amazon.

Having said all of that, I'm not so sure the mom and pops are put out of business by big box. 7/11's, Circle K's etc.. rape you on price for the convince of being on the corner are doing just fine. Retailers definitely have more challenges, but it's good for the shoppers (and campers). It's kind of a Lead, follow, or get out of the way world. Just my opinion.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #58
King of the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Burlington Ont View Post
We come from Canada into the US for summer camping and NASCAR races. Going through the border, they do not allow most fresh groceries such as milk, eggs, fruit, veg, meat etc. When we cross the border, our fridges are completely empty.

We like to stay at a 24 hour Walmart, so we can shop for all our groceries (usually $250+, pack them away in the fridges, have a good nights sleep and then get back on the Interstate at about 7:00 after breakfast at Walmart.

From that point on we normally stay at camp grounds. For us it not about ability to pay, it is the speed and efficiency to stop, buy groceries, sleep and get back on the road so we can get to where we are going as soon as possible..
Yeah but 250.00 Canadian right?✌😀

2013 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Tow Vehicle
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:25 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
Yeah but 250.00 Canadian right?✌😀
Ouch
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #60
Old & Crusty

I have been on the road on my way to a campground and due to unforeseen circumstances couldn't make it all the way and had to spend a night in a parking lot.
Too tired to go on and nothing available in little Podunk town.

Tags
camping, utah