Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudntherd View Post
We have stayed at the Walmart in Deming, Nm several times going West and East on I-10. Traveling I-40 in Az. we stayed at the Walmart in Winslow, Az. The Walmart is not a 24hr Super Walmart. We stayed overnight in late November went in the store and bought two droplights for the FR water pump bay and the wet bay of our RV. Ran the gen and furnace all night and woke up to 19 degrees outside. We also stayed at the Walmart on I 40 and near Highway 287 in Amarillo, Tx on the same trip.
I almost stayed at the Amarillo, Tx one on 287 but we kept on driving. I heard some good things about it and was keeping it as an alternate if we had to stop.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #22

Too Tall,
The Texas Travel Info Ctr. near Amarillo is also a good place to overnight. Also if you are traveling on US 287 Near Amarillo there are two Large Safety Rest Areas that are great for over night. Donley County 4 miles South of Hedley, about 70 miles South Of Amarillo and Hardeman County. Both are maintained and Operated by Texas Highway Dept.
cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudntherd View Post
Too Tall,
The Texas Travel Info Ctr. near Amarillo is also a good place to overnight. Also if you are traveling on US 287 Near Amarillo there are two Large Safety Rest Areas that are great for over night. Donley County 4 miles South of Hedley, about 70 miles South Of Amarillo and Hardeman County. Both are maintained and Operated by Texas Highway Dept.
Thanks very much I'll take note of this
Old 08-07-2016, 10:29 PM   #24

Walmart in Deming? You're brave! I was just in Playas for some training at New Mexico tech, Deming is a rough town. Sounds like an adventure.
todd172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd172 View Post
Walmart in Deming? You're brave! I was just in Playas for some training at New Mexico tech, Deming is a rough town. Sounds like an adventure.
About 3 times the national average in crime!!!
Crime in Deming, New Mexico (NM): murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, auto thefts, arson, law enforcement employees, police officers, crime map
Old 08-08-2016, 03:34 PM   #26

what's even worse is Deming only has 14k residents!
todd172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #27

I realize crime stats don't lie. However we did not feel unsafe while we were there. Unfortunately crime seems to be wide spread in our country.

We have stayed overnight 3 times at the Walmart in Deming. The first time we stayed there was 5 Class A's there.

We met some Deming Residents that were driving Classic Cars, one of those was a 1950 Hudson Hornet, my friend bought a convertible in the 1960's.
cudntherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:04 AM   #28

I agree, I guess crime rates don't lie but they can be isolated to a particular area. We stayed at Walmart in Page, Az and didn't have any thoughts about being a high crime city but it's probably as bad as Deming. But with all the other camper, we felt very safe. It was actually kind of a party atmosphere with the campers going to Lake Powell etc... Did get several request for money however. Lot of poor Indians living on the reservation. They were are respectful and polite. I kind of rather do my charity that way. No middle man, ha. But no receipt either. ha.

https://youtu.be/nx3o-SSVYjk
Old 08-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #29

I think Walmart should ban overnight camping in there parking lots. You can't afford to stay at a campground you can't afford to travel. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #30

Nothing wrong with saving money when u can
Rangerdrvr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:38 AM   #31
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I think Walmart should ban overnight camping in there parking lots. You can't afford to stay at a campground you can't afford to travel. Just my opinion

For most people, It's not about money it is about convenience and saving time going from point a to point b.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:10 PM   #32
RCW

Quote:

We have never stayed at a Walmart but we have stayed at a Cracker Barrel and a couple Pilots it was never about the money! I would have paid if they wanted me to. It was about driving till night, getting a few hours sleep and getting back on the road. Some of us are limited on vac time and we try to be as efficient as possible going from A to B. Just my opinion
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #33

Quote:

I suspect Walmart will eventually ban overnighting due to abuse. Money is not the reason I like the quick overnight places. It's convenience and kind of fun and adventurous. I probably spend more money at Walmart than the camp fees. If it was about money, I'd drive a smart car and sleep at motel 6's. ha.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
We have never stayed at a Walmart but we have stayed at a Cracker Barrel and a couple Pilots it was never about the money! I would have paid if they wanted me to. It was about driving till night, getting a few hours sleep and getting back on the road. Some of us are limited on vac time and we try to be as efficient as possible going from A to B. Just my opinion
Agree, I didn't know Cracker Barrel allow overnighting. Will keep an eye out next trip. thanks. Yea, money, ha. I don't think any of us would be RVing if it were about money. RVing is not cheap.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:49 PM   #35

Quote:

Glad you can afford to do what ever it takes.If someones plans a trip around staying at Walmart they are ? However it is great if you are stuck with no where to stay over night. Better than a truck stop.
JMHO.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #36

Walmarts are great if you are traveling on the road late at night and are on a tight schedule, or get tired while driving and need to pull over. Many campgrounds don't offer late or self check- in. Some that do are so poorly lit, making it difficult to read the numbers and they can be as confusing as a maze. A well lit parking lot is easy when you are tired.
Two nights ago traveling through the Mohave Desert at night, I got very tired. The winds were blowing me around and I was still 45 miles from the rv park that I had been planning on stopping at. I was happy to be able to pull off the hwy. at a well lit clean rest area/ visitor center and go to sleep as the fierce winds shook my RV back and forth.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:24 AM   #37

Quote:

Well I don't like your opinion, when I'm heading south I don't know when I'm stopping and I don't stop always for the night and to pay as I call them overpriced camp grounds for maybe 5 or 6 hours is plain stupid. I'm not one who spends a day here and a day there I like to get where I'm going then I set up. I have a 40 foot 5th wheel so it takes a little to do.
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
Walmarts are great if you are traveling on the road late at night and are on a tight schedule, or get tired while driving and need to pull over. Many campgrounds don't offer late or self check- in. Some that do are so poorly lit, making it difficult to read the numbers and they can be as confusing as a maze. A well lit parking lot is easy when you are tired.
Two nights ago traveling through the Mohave Desert at night, I got very tired. The winds were blowing me around and I was still 45 miles from the rv park that I had been planning on stopping at. I was happy to be able to pull off the hwy. at a well lit clean rest area/ visitor center and go to sleep as the fierce winds shook my RV back and forth.
Right on, I agree with you 100% it's not the money, when your tired it's the convenience.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
I suspect Walmart will eventually ban overnighting due to abuse. Money is not the reason I like the quick overnight places. It's convenience and kind of fun and adventurous. I probably spend more money at Walmart than the camp fees. If it was about money, I'd drive a smart car and sleep at motel 6's. ha.
I agree but the guy with the comment probably owns a campground. Most Walmart manager are glad to see us as you said we spend a lot of money at Walmart. I know the first one we hit is in Bangor Maine and we load up on supplies. One time it was a TV.
Just remember clean and ASK permission to stay.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:40 AM   #40

These retailers are doing this as a courtesy, the problems occur when we take advantage of their generosity and start demanding it .

Tags
camping, utah