Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2016, 03:49 AM   #61

No problem staying a night In a parking lot. But I just spent a week in Maine and the same four campers were there all week in Cabellas parking lot. One was a Popup all opened up chairs and awning and the rest were trailers slides open unhooked rugs and chairs. This abuse is the problem why towns have ordinances against it. There are at least 15 campgrounds in this area and I know the one I was in had openings.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #62

I think this Walmart parking has more plus's than negatives.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #63
Old & Crusty

Big Rig. I agree. Spending a night in a parking lot out of necessity is one thing, but it shouldn't be the destination camp site.
45 Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
Most of the affluent use this argument but their real motive is they don't want a Walmart in the town because it attract those less fortunate who pay with food stamps and are looking for the most for their money.

Big box retailers, including Walmart, do factually pay more however. They provide opportunity for careers advancement. They hire 100's of locals and it's been found that home values actually rise in the vicinity of the Super Walmart.

But the big reason is it provides a place for us cheapsckates to overnight. ha

This discussion probably not relevant to the Walmart overnighting discussion. It's a changing world, Amazon and online shopping is biting into Walmart and other brick and motar businesses. Walmart just bought Jet online shopping to compete with Amazon.

Having said all of that, I'm not so sure the mom and pops are put out of business by big box. 7/11's, Circle K's etc.. rape you on price for the convince of being on the corner are doing just fine. Retailers definitely have more challenges, but it's good for the shoppers (and campers). It's kind of a Lead, follow, or get out of the way world. Just my opinion.
Actually, when a study was done in Moab about a possible Walmart they pretty much figured out that it would affect an Alco store (which closed last year anyway), the local drug store (high prices but they do sell ammo and guns), one of the two worthless grocery stores (City Market owned by Kroger or Village Market) and an auto parts store. All employees in these stores would in all likelihood go to work at Walmart with a higher pay and a chance for benefits.

And locals could purchase items at a lower price than at Alco and Walker drugs, and did not need mail order for many items or a long drive to Grand Junction to give the sales tax to CO vs. UT. (One example, Mr. Coffee Machine - Walker Drugs $69, Walmart $49 (but required a 1.5 hour drive to and a 1.5 hour back, or Amazon $49 and free shipping to your door in two days (Prime member).

It was wanted but the city and county refused zoning cause it would not fit into Moab's looks.

Now, the city wishes they had made a different decision.

In most places Wallyworld employees those who lost their jobs, pays more than they were making and gives them a chance to advance and get benefits.
Those local stores in towns are notorious to pay at best minimum wage and offer to benefits (not all but most).

Back on subject....

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #65

Walmart does not pay all that well, it's a job and you can advance up the ladder if you get more education but Walmart employees are not getting rich and the benefits are not all that great. We shop at Walmart for groceries and other stuff but I had rather by groceries someplace else and I do a lot, a whole lot of time you can get your stuff and you can't get out unless you check your own stuff out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #66

I see campers parked at Walmart and some think it's a campground, I imagine some campgrounds around Walmart would love to have that business. It's probably okay you park on there lot overnight but its being taken advantage of. It's like dogs at a RV park some owners won't clean behind there dogs and it makes it hard for all dog owners. Camping out at Walmart is going to have a similar fate. But do what makes you happy, me I'm happy staying in a campground. I have been to some Walmart's that I didn't feel safe in because of what was happening in the parking lot. I just feel more safe in a campground.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rig View Post
I just spent a week in Maine and the same four campers were there all week in Cabellas parking lot. One was a Popup all opened up chairs and awning and the rest were trailers slides open unhooked rugs and chairs.
The same happens in the Walmart parking lot in Whitehorse, Yukon. Trailers parked with no TV, awnings out and lawn chairs under the awning, even a grill smoking as some fresh-caught fish cooked on the charcoal.

When we overnight in a parking lot while traveling, we don't lower the steps, put out the slides, or raise the TV antenna. We are there to eat and sleep and get back on the road as early as possible. Nights like that and lunches at rest stops or parking lots are the primary reason that we make sure our trailers can be lived in with the slides in.

But what was described above at the Maine and Yukon Walmarts is clearly abuse that will eventually bring a halt to any camping in parking lots in those towns. Selfish RVers who abuse the rules ruin it for all of us, not just themselves.

Nuf said. I'll step down off my soapbox now.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:21 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rig View Post
No problem staying a night In a parking lot. But I just spent a week in Maine and the same four campers were there all week in Cabellas parking lot. One was a Popup all opened up chairs and awning and the rest were trailers slides open unhooked rugs and chairs. This abuse is the problem why towns have ordinances against it. There are at least 15 campgrounds in this area and I know the one I was in had openings.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Yes, I posted a picture earlier of a big 5ver doing the same thing. Unhitched and went off to see the sites. Left a stroller under the tongue and slides out. Not too classy IMO.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #69

Pictures Please

There should be a web sight for pictures of weirdos camping at Wallmart
Old 08-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #70
RCW

Yeah, overnight is one thing. More than that is just weird! Funny thing is that I drive by a Walmart that is located right off I70 everyday on my way to work, and it is rare that I see the same RV there 2 days in a row. And I don't ever recall one that was "set up".
RCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #71

To Fanrgs & everyone else.
Re: The Abuse of Walmart Parking

What you've mentioned pales compared to what's been going on in Florida. A certain group from up north (I won't mention who but They Know who I'm Talking About) has been
"Staying" at Walmarts in the Florida area. Not just putting out pop-outs
& awnings but Parking Right at The Front Door! and staying 2 weeks! Go to
the beach all day etc... Yes now Everyone is not welcome at many Florida Walmarts.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #72

Agree. We tried to stop at a Walmart on US 36 in western Missouri to buy groceries, but signs in the parking lot clearly stated a city ordinance that said "NO Parking Anytime" for semi-trailer trucks or RVs. So, we circled the admittedly small lot, got back on the highway, and bought our groceries in another town.

"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2020 Winnebago Navion 24V Sprinter Class C
Sold in 2021: 2016 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8244WS 5th Wheel
Sold in 2014: 2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanrgs View Post
The same happens in the Walmart parking lot in Whitehorse, Yukon. Trailers parked with no TV, awnings out and lawn chairs under the awning, even a grill smoking as some fresh-caught fish cooked on the charcoal.

When we overnight in a parking lot while traveling, we don't lower the steps, put out the slides, or raise the TV antenna. We are there to eat and sleep and get back on the road as early as possible. Nights like that and lunches at rest stops or parking lots are the primary reason that we make sure our trailers can be lived in with the slides in.

But what was described above at the Maine and Yukon Walmarts is clearly abuse that will eventually bring a halt to any camping in parking lots in those towns. Selfish RVers who abuse the rules ruin it for all of us, not just themselves.

Nuf said. I'll step down off my soapbox now.
I live in Whitehorse and agree with you that it is being abused there. We see a lot of the same campers there from April to October & at times it is difficult to maneuver our pickup around the lot because of the amount of campers there.
I'll also admit that when we travel in the south we have been known to stay at Walmart when we are just stopping for the night on occasion.

So I don't think that over night parking should be banned at Walmarts but think there should be something done to limit the length of that stay to 1 or 2 nights
Gee Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #74

I shop at Walmart right much when I'm on the road but I leave my camper at the campground. I shop at other grocery stores, sometimes it's just to hard to get into and out of Walmart.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaggydog View Post
There should be a web sight for pictures of weirdos camping at Wallmart
Well, there is this: You searched for camping - People Of Walmart : People Of Walmart
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #76

I've tried camping at RV parks but they are just too damn dangerous.

Bombs Found in RV Park: Who's Camping Next To You? - RV Life
Old 08-15-2016, 11:35 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I think Walmart should ban overnight camping in there parking lots. You can't afford to stay at a campground you can't afford to travel. Just my opinion

Well your are right everyone has a right to there opinion . Wal-mart ,K-mart, rest areas mostly . all on my short list when traveling across country to my seasonal destinations . Why pay for a 8 hr or less stop . one reason to own a RV. it's not about paying $35. or more for a rv campground
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #78

In the summer it's just to hot to sleep without A/C and besides its the journey that matters to me. I have as much fun on the trip as I do when I get to my destination. I feel more safe in a campground than spending the night in a Walmart parking lot. I dry camp some just not at Walmart

Old 08-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #79

Quote:
In the summer it's just to hot to sleep without A/C and besides its the journey that matters to me. I have as much fun on the trip as I do when I get to my destination. I feel more safe in a campground than spending the night in a Walmart parking lot. I dry camp some just not at Walmart

It's false security, your KOA is full of terrorist.
http://rvlife.com/bombs-found-in-rv-park/
As for the Heat, that's what they make Xanax for. Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2016, 09:15 AM   #80

Quote:
I think Walmart should ban overnight camping in there parking lots. You can't afford to stay at a campground you can't afford to travel. Just my opinion

What makes you say that? To me it's a win-win. Free camping, and I usually reciprocate by buying several items from them.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, utah