Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #1

Washington / Oregon

My wife and I are traveling to Washington and Oregon next summer. We will have 9 days in those two states. Need ideas for scenic rides and great things to do and see.
Rhoadzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:32 PM   #2

Train ride.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...06923889,d.cGU

Whale watching?
Crater lake.
Lewis and Clark sites near Seaside, Or.
McMinnville, Or. Space Museum.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoadzie View Post
My wife and I are traveling to Washington and Oregon next summer. We will have 9 days in those two states. Need ideas for scenic rides and great things to do and see.
We spent a wonderful two weeks there earlier this year. Based ourselves at Lincoln City for about five nights and spent time whale watching at Depoe Bay and walking on the beaches. We then moved up to Anacortes in NW WA. Here we stayed at Pioneer Trails which has to be the best CG in the area. Like all of them though, it is affected by aircraft noise from Whitby Island NAS. This is also a great place to go whale watching, especially for Orca.
On the way between the two locations we stopped off at Mt St. Helens for a couple of nights. All great places to visit.

If you're looking for a good SP in WA try Grayland Beach. Just take everything with you because there isn't much in the way of shopping nearby.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:25 AM   #4

cape flattery, most nw point in united states.... you really can't go wrong with 101 along the coast.
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #5

Prettiest stretch of road in the Northwest in my opinion is Hwy 20 in Washington from Okanogan to Sedro Woolley. Or the drive through Mt. Rainer National Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
prestonj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #6

X2 Ford Idaho and going to see/hike around Crater Lake.

Grants Pass isn't too far away and you can catch a ride down the Rouge River on a jet boat. This section of the Rouge River was where "Rooster Cogburn and The Lady" (John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn) was shot. I think you can also catch the jet boats going up river from Gold Beach off Hwy. 101.

DW and I were just talking about our honeymoon through Oregon and she reminded me of the gorgeous drive we took through the McKenzie River Pass. I'm pretty sure we went north out of Bend and caught 242 out of Sisters through the pass to Eugene. This was a long time ago and I'm not sure if that road is OK for an RV, but I do recall we loved the scenery.

In my motorcycle riding days my dad and I loved going up 101; as others have said it's hard to beat a drive up the Oregon coast. Chris and Cherie from Technomadia have a whole bunch of posts of their tour of the lighthouses on the Oregon coast.

Bob
Old 12-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #7

Crater Lake is gorgeous! Any drive from the Willamette Valley over the Cascades will be great, but I second going from Eugene to Bend so that you follow the MacKenzie River. I prefer central and eastern Oregon over the coast, but all of the Oregon coast is so pretty. I especially like Bandon.
wendylys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #8

Don't miss Long Beach, WA. 27 miles of beach you can drive on! 4x4 recommended.
The Columbia River Gorge will blow your socks off. Try to stay at Core of Engineers sites. They are wonderful. Ditto the Snake River.
X2 on Crater Lake, OR. Just remember that the dust is pretty bad in the summer. The entire OR coast is beautiful - rain or shine. Sun River is on the plateau and worth a stay - especially if you play golf.
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:50 AM   #9

When do you plan to be there? The International Kite Festival is in Long Beach, WA the 3rd week of Aug. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450792153.373831.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	96614
It is a week long event so you could do one day there. It is impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #10

9 days is not enough time to do anything except drive! Check, a month on the coast is considered a good start. Two weeks in Central Oregon is a beginning. There is just too much to see and do to only do 9 days. Pick one area and enjoy it for the nine days. North Oregon coast would be my first suggestion.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washington