Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2017, 12:46 AM   #21
Novice Travel Trailer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've stayed there. It wasn't a bad park, though I did have some low voltage issues while there (I used my Autoformer to boost voltage for my rig). The site that I was in wasn't super private or spacious. But we had a few friends at the park and needed a couple of night stop between Seattle and Bend. No sewer at the site we were on, but the dump station worked just fine.

Otherwise, we stayed at Tall Chief in Fall City. This place had horribly low voltage- so bad that I couldn't run my A/C without my EMS shutting power down. A voltage booster helped but it was a frustrating stay. The good, though- it was a beautiful park. We had a very private site on one of the pods. Pool was warm and clean. No sewer, but the dump station accepted my juices just fine.

Thanks for the heads up on the Chehalis park. We start the year off at tall chief every year to make sure everything is in working order for the season. It is a beautiful park.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS Travel Trailer
2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 LTZ
benchmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgarys View Post
We're staying in Stevenson for the next couple of nights. We'll be seeing the sites in The Dalles and Hood River and then go West to Portland. I'll try to remember to post our observations.

Great....I will also keep providing my two cents on nice camping parks in the PNW. I’m basing this on campgrounds...not one nighter facilities to pit stop in. Cheers and let’s have s’mores! Get it s’mores ...some more. I know I know. [emoji23]

Old 11-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA Dan View Post
Benchmarks, any word out there on the condition of the Columbia Gorge after that big fire last season? We camp every year at Ainsworth SP on our way to the Oregon coast. I am dreading what the situation is going to be. It looked like they tried to protect the areas immediate by the highway, like near Multnomah Falls, but it's really steep and the photos a few month back looked so depressing.
Here is a map of the are that shows the general location of damage in that area. Looks to be about 20 miles away.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/v...0.8683,49.4214

Old 11-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #24

Eagle Creek Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
Here is a map of the are that shows the general location of damage in that area. Looks to be about 20 miles away.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/v...0.8683,49.4214
We dove through the area on I84 yesterday afternoon. We were going to pull off and check it out for you but the exit to it was closed. It was in the middle of about fifteen miles of scorched timberland along the freeway and most of the recreational pull offs were still closed.

Keep in touch with recreation.gov, they will have the best official information.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:57 PM   #25

766 views and that’s it....bummer

Old 11-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #26

Birch bay state park. Stunning and you can walk to the ocean. Canada is about 10 min north
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
I've had great luck at:
Deception Pass State Park
Winthrop KOA
Leavenworth KOA
Bayview State Park
Whispering Pines in Cle Elum
Cape Dissappointment State Park (By far my most favorite campground)

I have not camped at Kulshan Campground but have heard great things about it and will be there in the Spring. Same with the LaConner Thousand Trails (I will let you know in 2 weeks).

And, anything off the Manashtash road out of Ellensburg is also very nice.

Where are your favorites?
Cape Dissappointment is fair (many Washington State campgrounds are pretty lame) but hop across the river and go about ten miles to Fort Stevens for a really fine experience. Miles of hiking/biking trails, evening ranger presentations, and a historical area that can't be beat. There are military reenactments for Memorial Day and Labor Day too. A point of note; the Fort is the only site on US soil that has ever been fired upon by an enemy during time of war.

It is the largest park in the Oregon State Park system and we stay there several times each year, winter and summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ft1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	159929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ft2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	159930   Click image for larger version

Name:	FT3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	159931   Click image for larger version

Name:	FT4.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	159932  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #28

Quote:
cape dissappointment is fair (many washington state campgrounds are pretty lame) but hop accross the river and go about ten miles to fort stevens for a really fine experience. Miles of hiking/biking trails, evening ranger presentations, and a historical area that can't be beat. There are military reenactments for memorial day and labor day too. A point of note; the fort is the only site on us soil that has ever been fired upon by an enemy during time of war.

It is the largest park in the oregon state park system and we stay there several times each year, winter and summer.
awesome info! Thanks!

Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
A point of note; the Fort is the only site on US soil that has ever been fired upon by an enemy during time of war.
Incorrect. There have been numerous other incidents.

Here are a few:

A WW1 German sub shelled Orleans, Massachusetts.

There was a submarine bombardment attack, 5 months before the Fort Stevens attack, on the Elwood oil fields, near Santa Barbara, California.

There was a Japanese airplane launched from a submarine that dropped incendiary bombs on some Oregon forests.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #30

Also incorrect, it is not the largest state park in OR. It's 4000 acres vs Silver Falls 9000 acres. 4th largest.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchmarks View Post
Also incorrect, it is not the largest state park in OR. It's 4000 acres vs Silver Falls 9000 acres. 4th largest.
Sorry, I'm not interested in joining a pi??ing match. Oregon Parks and Recreation says it's the largest.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:59 PM   #32

Joe Friday. "Just the facts ma'am" bahaba!

http://oregonstateparks.org/index.cf...age&parkId=129

Old 01-10-2018, 09:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Incorrect. There have been numerous other incidents.

Here are a few:

A WW1 German sub shelled Orleans, Massachusetts.

There was a submarine bombardment attack, 5 months before the Fort Stevens attack, on the Elwood oil fields, near Santa Barbara, California.

There was a Japanese airplane launched from a submarine that dropped incendiary bombs on some Oregon forests.
Okay, I'll edit my post to add: "since the war of 1812". Feel better now? Here's a quote from Oregon Parks and Recreation visitors brochure:

Reserve Online or by phone
M-F 8a-5p
Buy parking permit
Camping: Year Round
Day Use: Year Round
Park Info
Rates
History/FAQ
Events
Brochures/Pix/Video
Feedback
Driving Directions
Info: 800.551.6949
Park: 503-861-3170 x 21
Park History
The park's land was acquired between 1955 and 1974. Close to 790 acres were given to the state by Clatsop County between 1955 and 1960. Other lands were acquired by gifts, leases, and purchases from the county, local school district, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and a private landowner. The original earthen fort, completed in 1865 to protect the mouth of the Columbia River from Confederate gun boats and the British Navy during the Civil War, was named for Union Army Major General Isaac I. Stevens, first territorial governor of Washington, who died in 1862 at the Battle of Chantilly. The post later served as Oregon's only coastal defense fort during the Spanish-American War, World War I, and World War II. The fort has the distinction of being the only military fort in the United States to be fired upon by an enemy during time of war since the War of 1812, when it was attacked by a Japanese submarine on June 21, 1942.

If you care to argue then take it up with them.

Now the OP has a much more accurate understanding of the park and of the history of the area.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not interested in joining a pi??ing match. Oregon Parks and Recreation says it's the largest.
According to OregonStateParks.org Silver Falls has 122 campsites. Fort Stevens has 302 campsites, 11 cabins, and 15 yurts.

I guess it depends on how you want to define "largest". To me it's a matter of how many campers a park can accommodate.

I've stayed at both and have come to realize that Google does not provide a basis for an informed argument.

Tags
washington