Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #1

west yellowstone to colter bay rv park

We're headed for our first cross country trip!! Yellowstone here we come! Was just wondering how the drive is leaving west Yellowstone (staying at grizzily) to colter bar RV park? We have a 38' motorhome and will be towing a Honda CRV. I see on the map we have to go through Yellowstone west entrance and travel to the south entrance. How is the drive???

R & S
2010 Georgetown 350
2012 Honda CRV toad
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #2

I believe there is still construction on the southwestern loop that runs from west entrance road to the south entrance road. BUT, I just traveled in a few weeks ago coming back from Cody. There were a bunch of us, and two vehicles took the northern route from the east entrance road that goes through Hayden valley (valley of the nuts is what I call it...thousands of morons and a hundred Bison) and over to the west entrance.
Two vehicles took the southern route. Those who took the southern route beat us to the west exit by almost 20 minutes. The delay was minimal, even though they say UP TO 30 minutes.
Here's a site to keep updated on the roads in Yellowstone...
Road Construction and Delays - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

I don't believe I will ever go through Hayden valley again preferring the construction backups vs. the selfie crowd.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #3

We just got back from Yellowstone. It was mostly just slow due to traffic and people wanting to stop within the park. The traffic can get backed up going into the west entrance. Road was fine though.
gargoyle999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 AM   #4

The construction is done except for one parking area. We did the exact same drive less than 10 days ago and it was a piece of cake.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #5

We are making the trip in a few weeks, interested in everyone's information. Thanks!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

following we'll be there the end of Aug

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:47 AM   #7

If you have not left yet you will love the ride. Just plan on a full day to get there. I live in Utah and have been there a dozen times. Going past all the gysers and sites you will stop. old Faithful you cant pass up...2 to 3 hours. On down the road lost of things to see and stop for. Colter Bayu is the best place to stay. Take all the guided hikes to really see the beauty. Go down to the ampathether in the eveny for the Ranger talks great.......I will watch this forum for your reply....
snowplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:57 PM   #8

thanks for the info I think we have it covered we leave this week (from Georgia) and head out to Yellowstone first for a week and then 5 days at Colter Bay!
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudysWorld View Post
We are making the trip in a few weeks, interested in everyone's information. Thanks!
Here, here.
We leave Sept. 12th.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #10
JRM

I think September is definitely the time to go, lots less people once school is back in. Granted there will be families that pull their children out for a vacation but it won't be the free for all it is in the summer. I grew up in Wyoming and was last there around the time it burned in 88 and have always wanted to take my kids up there. We were out there visiting family the first 2 weeks in August and we decided to make a quick trip up there. It was a very short trip (3 days) and we only went thru the southern half of the park. I am still in shock over how much Yellowstone has turned into a tourist attraction! Wow! Things sure have changed ALOT! Some for the better, and some for the worse. Alot of it has to do with people's poor judgement when it comes to giving wildlife their space. A Yellowstone Lodge employee was mauled by a grizzly the first day we were there. It was his day off and he had went for a hike and happened across a grizzly and her cubs. No bear spray, no weapons of any sort. Bad idea if on foot and unfortunately he paid for it with his life. In his case he was in the wrong place at the wrong time but alot of people put themselves in harms way. Buffalo are every bit as dangerous as a bear, and on two occasions we saw people inching closer and closer to try and get a good picture. They are only so tolerant, and once they feel threatened will turn on you in a second. A few have been trampled this year alone and I was told by a Ranger that for this reason they have pushed the herds back away from the roads. A real shame that for the actions of a few we all have to pay the price.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #11

The campgrounds I have checked online for reservations (inside the park) are booked even in September.
For over 35' TT, anyway.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #12

Guess I'll stay out of the park are drive in everyday.
Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2015, 07:50 AM   #13
JRM

There are some nice looking Campgrounds in West Yellowstone, probably your closest bet for staying outside the park. Grizzly looks nice from what I have seen but no first hand experience.
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #14

Is a "loop" doable from one spot or does that just make it a long drive and no joy everyday?
Anyone?
Old 08-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
There are some nice looking Campgrounds in West Yellowstone, probably your closest bet for staying outside the park. Grizzly looks nice from what I have seen but no first hand experience.
Maybe I should call one of these "outer" parks and see what they say about staying out and driving in every day.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #16

We are headed out next week and staying in West Yellowstone at Grizzly based on reviews and comments on forum. Many have said driving is acceptable since no matter where you stay you will be driving. So that is what we are doing. Good Luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #17
Future Buyer

I have stayed at Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. Very nice, probably the best in West Yellowstone. Will be going back in late September.

Yes, you can do the loop in one day with stops to enjoy the sights. The Tower to Canyon segment is probably the slowest part.
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
I have stayed at Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. Very nice, probably the best in West Yellowstone. Will be going back in late September.

Yes, you can do the loop in one day with stops to enjoy the sights. The Tower to Canyon segment is probably the slowest part.
Thanks Bob.
We'll be there for a week so I guess we will try lots of loops from outside.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #19

Grizzly rv park in West Yellowstone is nice, good people at the office

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #20

Stayed at the Rustic Wagon last year during the 4th of July, nothing special but it was a "last minute" deal so we called it good.

About 2 miles or less from the west entrance of the park.