Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Remember summers can be hot out west and you are getting into high elevations 6,000 to 7,000 ft.

Albuquerque NM is a great place to spend a few days. They have many campgrounds up the hill on the west side of the city on I-10. Great view from the west end up on the hill.

Williams AZ is a great place to stop and see the Grand Canyon south rim.
Grand Canyon Railroad RV park in Williams is pricey but worth the location. You can easily drive to the south rim in vehicle or enjoy a great day going and coming on the railroad. This is a once in a lifetime tril so you might enjoy it on an cool railroad car. You can also get a bus trip to a 6 lookouts with a basic lunch which all can be included. Train usually leaves about 9AM get to the south rim about 10:30AM., get on a bus for an hour then lunch at noon and about an hour to roam the stores and back on the train around 2 PM and back in Williams at 3:30PM.

MOAB UT Yes! Book ahead if you can. Hot during the summer
Most campgrounds are really basic and are used alot so don't expect much.

Hoover Dam you have to drive over with truck or car. Large MH and trailers may be restricted. Easy drive from Vegas.
Las Vegas just to see it at night if you have never been there. They have 2 large RV resort south of the strip. I think one is a KOA and the other is called The Oasis. Full hookups.

Carlsbad cavern in NM is nice if you are going or coming using the southern Texas route.

If you need to find campgrounds here is a few links I use.

Good Sams/Trailer Life

RV Parks Review

If you are retired military or DOD.

Slow down and enjoy the view.
Hope you plan and have a great trip!

2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Active steam train in Ely, NV.
Shop tour.
Old mining town.
Active, open pit mine outside of town.
Stayed at KOA.

Also, steam trains in Durango CO and Chama NM. I think Chama is about 100 miles from Durango.

Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote