Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

western travels idears

Working on plans for our next trip. Heading to NM, UT, AZ and NV. Time is no problem as we are retired. Any idears of things to see and places to stay would be appreciated. Plans so far are stops in Taos NM , Moab UT, Grand Canyon N/S, Hoover Dam..... still working on our itinerary. Thanks
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsky View Post
Working on plans for our next trip. Heading to NM, UT, AZ and NV. Time is no problem as we are retired. Any idears of things to see and places to stay would be appreciated. Plans so far are stops in Taos NM , Moab UT, Grand Canyon N/S, Hoover Dam..... still working on our itinerary. Thanks
If you are planning on coming to Southern AZ I would recommend Kartchner Caverns. The state campground is very nice and inexpensive. The caverns are breathtaking.

For the Grand Canyon I am partial to the North Rim as it is much less crowded than the South Rim. If you are going to try Zion NP (Highly recom mended) or Bryce NP its a nice easy trip down to the North Rim. Only issue at the N Rim is there are no hookups.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Thanks DnD, got any suggestions on campground with hookups in the area of the NP?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #4

Taos is a must as well s Santa Fe. Do the loop trip from Moab through Utah - Atches, Canyon Lands, Mesa Verde, Four Corners, Lake Powell, Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef. Yòu can still include the North Rim on this loop. There are lots of places to stay. We mostly stayed at KOAs when we did it. We really liked the campground at Lake Powell. It is on public land, Natioal Forest, I think but commercially contracted. Take the boat. Tour to Rainbow Bridge.

Note: Zion has a long tunnel. Not all RVs will fit. We camped and took the truck into the park but you can avoid it be approaching from St. George.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Director, FROG

Quote:
Thanks DnD, got any suggestions on campground with hookups in the area of the NP?
When we took the FROG trip to Las Vegas / Grand Canyon / Albuquerque in October, we stayed on the South Rim at Trailer Village. The big attractions were full hookups and convenience. It's a little bit tight, but we got in with a 40' DP and a toad with no problem. There's a bus that picks up right at the CG entrance and ties into the free shuttle buses along the South Rim, and it's within walking distance of groceries, post office, and a restaurant in the park.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Anacortesians

Tha's down South and back East for us. We might be doing a trip from NW Wash down there in 2015. Can't get to it in '13 and we'll be in the UK for our 50th wedding anniversary, DW and sister's 70th birthdays (within a week of eash other) in August of '14.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #7

I dont know how Old you are but before you go on a long trip acquire a (National Park Pass) it will pay for itself just to get into the Grand C! Youroo!!

Quote:
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
If you need hookups then the only place in the park is on the South Rim as FROG mentioned.

Another option is to stay in either Kanab or Mt Carmel Junction. From these places you can get to Zions, Bryce or the Grand Canyon with in a 1 - 2 hour drive. I haven't stayed at any personally so I can't offer any advise from that perspective.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #9

Sam's Town in Las Vegas has a nice RV park and it is cheap.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #10

We buy one every year youroo, not old enough for the lifetime one. Thanks to all who reply, great idears...
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #11

Remember summers can be hot out west and you are getting into high elevations 6,000 to 7,000 ft.

Albuquerque NM is a great place to spend a few days. They have many campgrounds up the hill on the west side of the city on I-10. Great view from the west end up on the hill.

Williams AZ is a great place to stop and see the Grand Canyon south rim.
Grand Canyon Railroad RV park in Williams is pricey but worth the location. You can easily drive to the south rim in vehicle or enjoy a great day going and coming on the railroad. This is a once in a lifetime tril so you might enjoy it on an cool railroad car. You can also get a bus trip to a 6 lookouts with a basic lunch which all can be included. Train usually leaves about 9AM get to the south rim about 10:30AM., get on a bus for an hour then lunch at noon and about an hour to roam the stores and back on the train around 2 PM and back in Williams at 3:30PM.

MOAB UT Yes! Book ahead if you can. Hot during the summer
Most campgrounds are really basic and are used alot so don't expect much.

Hoover Dam you have to drive over with truck or car. Large MH and trailers may be restricted. Easy drive from Vegas.
Las Vegas just to see it at night if you have never been there. They have 2 large RV resort south of the strip. I think one is a KOA and the other is called The Oasis. Full hookups.

Carlsbad cavern in NM is nice if you are going or coming using the southern Texas route.

If you need to find campgrounds here is a few links I use.

Good Sams/Trailer Life
http://www.trailerlifedirectory.com/travel/campgroundsandrvparks/

RV Parks Review
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/

If you are retired military or DOD.
http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/state-listing/facilitylisting

Slow down and enjoy the view.
Hope you plan and have a great trip!
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #12

Active steam train in Ely, NV.
Shop tour.
Old mining town.
Active, open pit mine outside of town.
Stayed at KOA.

Also, steam trains in Durango CO and Chama NM. I think Chama is about 100 miles from Durango.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote