Old 02-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Western US info please

Retiree from Atlanta packing DW up this late spring and heading up to Cedar Rapids, and not in any particular order, Portland, Calif Coast to Monterey, back across Utah and Colorado.

In the East, we stay at resort type parks. 2 Years ago we spent the winter at Eagle View Resort in Ft McDowell, AZ and LOVED it. Did Tombstone, the Grand Canyon, again and route 66 (part) and Stand'n On a Corner in Winslow, AZ.

We plan on being gone for months....whatever it takes .

Looking at a few things if you have experience, Please post OR PM me.

* Good Sam Family Travel Insurance. ( something like this is a must ) . If I became ill, DW could not haul this rig x country.

* Do I NEED and can I use a dual Honda generator system? We have a Maine Coon pure bred cat and we will find areas where we park and leave the RV for several hours at a time.

* Which CLUBs, ie; Passport America or, work best north west and California?

My new Silverback (2015) has dual air and will do the deed. Any comments, direction, experience, good or bad, will be appreciated. Like WHAT NOT TO MISS! At age 72, doubt we will be doing anything exciting in the future except spending winters down the road in Central and South Florida, playing Bingo, Bocce and Pickelball with a little golf....every Jan thru March Hey, you gotta live this long before you can slow down!

Side Note: Quitting Motorcycling. Have 2 drop dead gorgeous rides for you toy haulers:
2005 Blue Sunglow HD Ultra Classic. 35,000 miles, only person in the saddle was /is me since new. $10,000 Thousands in extras.
2006 Wifes, 1700 Yamaha black midnight Silvarado , about 6,000 miles. Loaded up...she put almost every mile on that machine. $6,000.
Interested send me a PM with your E MAIL and I will send pics individually.
Buy'em both and I will "ALMOST" throw in a Kendon, 2 big bike hauler that folds in garage for standing storage....leave today, tow and ride anywhere.
Our stamina has left the house

SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Only thing I will recommend is when in UT, do the grand tour in the southern part of the state. From west to east, Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Arches and at least Canyonlands Island in the Sky District; however, the Needles District is great too.

Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Come across on Hwy #40 into Bakersfield then across to Paso Robles. Head North - you will go right by Hearst Castle - worth seeing if you want. - this will eliminate the L.A. area. Highway #1 and #101 from Southern Calif to Portland is great. Hwy #1 from Paso Robles is scenic but narrow and winding. Once past San Fran you can pick up Hwy #101 all the way to Seattle - Very scenic but can be cold and windy in winter months -

Before you get too far North swing East (about 2-3 hours from Monterey or San Luis) a bit and catch Sequoia/Kings Canyon park - camp in Fresno or Visalia and drive into the park. The road from Fresno to the park is possible a bit steep but not too bad - from Visalia into the park is almost impossible with a big trailer. - and there are good campsites inside the park but call ahead they can be full. Also try Crater Lake to the North.

Oregon is green and wooded - lots of places to camp - if on Hwy #5 lots of very long hills to climb with very steep downhills but fairly flat along the Coast. If you are on Hwy #101 it will be slow going - - lots of little towns along the coast - it will also always be windy. Might stop in Gold Beach and take to jet boat ride up the Rogue River. Highway 84 from Portland East, along the Hood River is great.

If you go as far as Seattle then catch highway #90 thru Spokane and onto to Missoula, Montana. Hwy #90 will eventually interest Hwy#15 toward Salt Lake.

Head for Salt Lake and this will put you close to Zion and Bryce. Note both Zion and Bryce are high elevation and can be cold and snowy early or late in the year. Camp outside these parks and drive in. If possible pickup Hwy 191 South thru Moab and Canyonlands - fantastic stuff to see.

All of coastal California and Oregon is great - once headed East Oregon is high desert - I think Sequoia/Kings Canyon, Crater Lake and Zion and Bryce are must sees.

My wife and I both were motorcycle riders, lived in Central California, and have traveled all these places on bikes. Me on a Goldwing her on a Yamaha FJR1300.
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
you might also check this out for Zion and Bryce.

The Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel - Zion National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
cadman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
The other suggestions are great, I have been camping the West Coast for 45yrs and have to force myself to go East.
Redwoods are a must; I have never been to any state or national redwoods park that I wouldn’t go back to. Just thinking about the time the trees have seen is awesome. I always do a tree hug with my family.
Yosemite is grand, I have been there 15 times(sometimes backpacking) and always leave with unforgettable memories.
Lava Beds state parks on the upper edge of CA is interesting, my kids love it. I have been through 15 plus lava tubes and three might have been enough but we keep doing more.
Mt St Helens is interesting
Everyone should walk through a desert in the spring, Mojave National is our favorite, there is so much beauty in a place of so little….
The Grand Canyon is a must but it is a little over whelming, find a slot canyon and touch the walls . They are my new favorite; we have done 8 or so in the last 3 years and have loved every one. Utah out of Coral Reef were our first but we’ve done them in Death Valley and Lake Havasu. I think I could spend a lot more time exploring the parks of Utah
I loved the west side of Cascades National park, the greenest, wettest,most alive place I’ve ever been. Amazingly 20ml over the east side looks like, high dessert, 80% of Ca, go figure…
There isn’t a place on the pacific coast I haven’t found peaceful; from the Sound to San Diago, we spend weeks a year enjoying the crashing of the waves, the life in the tide pools and the bounties of the ocean.
Safe Travels
2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
2004 Yukon XL Denali
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #6
Being from Oregon - I'd recommend Crater Lake and of course, Bend (there is a really nice campground we stayed at last year)

Fort Stevens State Park (near Astoria on the coast) is amazing, lots of beach areas plus trails to walk/bike on. (30 amp full hookups)

Cove Palisades State Park - near Redmond/Madras is super fun as well, high desert and can get a bit warm. (depending on campground, 30 or 50 amp full hookups)

We travel with our 3 cats, didn't have any issue running the AC at Cove Palisades (we were in the 50amp area) when it was about 95-100 during the day. Cooled off nicely at night.

The Gorge area is pretty as well - Memaloose state park is good for a 1 or 2 night stop (especially if you want to explore hood river) but it is right off the freeway, so beware of your spot for noise)

There was another nice campground on the Washington side someone recommended, near white salmon if I remember correctly - private campground, but beautiful views and river access. PM me if you want me to find the name....

Let me know if you have any more quesitons.
Happy Adventuring!

2015 Georgetown 351DS
Chris, Garren (humans)
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote