Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #21

Related note.

http://news.google.com/news/url?sr=1...nc&st=1&at=dt0

Quote:
Here’s Horace Albright, the superintendent of Yellowstone, picnicking with bears in 1922. Albright later became the director of the Park Service, and he opposed the closure of the bear-feeding pits:
Old 05-16-2016, 05:42 PM   #22

Here's my Buffalo aka Curly. Can't say where or how other than a good Crow friend of mine let me harvest this one. I got to keep the head mount and the meat went to a tribal ceremonial feast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Curly.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	108061  
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
Here's my Buffalo aka Curly. Can't say where or how other than a good Crow friend of mine let me harvest this one. I got to keep the head mount and the meat went to a tribal ceremonial feast.
Was he in danger of freezing?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Was he in danger of freezing

Was he in danger of freezing? Only after he was harvested and then to the freezer.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Bison are not allowed out of the park and ranchers don't want them out! Once they step out of the park and head towards ranches they are euthanized. There is a holding pen you can see in Gardiner just for that reason. The bison carry disease that affects domestic cattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
where do you come up with the bison are not allowed out of the park ? the bison are free ranging they can and do go where they feel like it . they are not herded into or kept in the park boundaries . I'm over south/west of west yellow stone clearly 20 miles out side the park and bison are all over now . they spend the winter out here out side the park . it's the domestic cattle that carry the disease spreading tuberculous to the bison . so the ranchers pump their cattle full of antibiotics and we all get to eat it when we buy a stake . also there are many bison ranches around montana wyoming , colorado , kansas etc
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #26

Nature has no sympathy for man or beast. I was in Rocky Nat Park and witnessed two coyotes harass a cow elk with a new born calf, they finally wore her down and killed the calf. A group of tourists from New York stopped and started screaming for some to notify the Rangers, that the coyotes were murdering the calf. It was hard to watch but part of nature's life/death cycle.

That bison calf should have been left alone it most likely would have survived, if not it would have become part of that cycle.
High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
where do you come up with the bison are not allowed out of the park?...
Remember, he's a Yankee and they make up their own rules as they go to fit whatever they want.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Remember, he's a Yankee and they make up their own rules as they go to fit whatever they want.

Ouch...
Old 05-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #29

I'm sure you heard about the guy that hit the deer as it crossed the road.............. it was all the deer's fault because the deer did not cross the road at the deer crossing signs..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #30

Had a ranger in Yellowstone tell us that more people are killed by bison than bears every year. Next morning I walked out of our camper headed to the bathroom only to be staring eye to eye with a bison about 10 feet away - I decided to go back to bed for awhile!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #31

The Bison are carry Brucelosis which can infect the local livestock. I don't remember all the particulars of the disease I just know there was a big push to eradicate it in the beef herds in the 50's ad 60's.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I'm sure you heard about the guy that hit the deer as it crossed the road.............. it was all the deer's fault because the deer did not cross the road at the deer crossing signs..........

Reminds me of the lady who called the state Dept of Transportation and asked them to move the deer crossing sign. She didn't think it was a very good place for the deer to cross, as she'd seen many of them laying by the side of the road.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Well at least he is a very well informed Yankee...

Read these articles and you will know what he is talking about...

Capture, Slaughter of Yellowstone Bison Roil Big Sky Country

And from the NPS:

Why don't you just let the bison roam freely outside Yellowstone National Park?
  • The State of Montana allows some bison to migrate outside Yellowstone National Park and occupy suitable winter range near the park boundary—and tolerance on additional range may occur in the future. However, mass migrations of many hundreds of bison out of the park have, at times, upset state and local governments and many private landowners and cattle operators.
  • If bison were allowed to increase in abundance and disperse unimpeded into cattle-occupied areas of Montana, it is likely those bison would be lethally removed by state employees or during regulated hunts. Also, the state may retract tolerance for bison in Montana in some areas because the agriculture department has superseding management authority due to chronic brucellosis infection in Yellowstone bison.
  • Thus, management practices such as hunting, hazing, capture, and culling are necessary at times to limit the abundance and distribution of bison and allow people (including federal and state managers) time to learn to live with, and manage, bison.
You can read it all Here on the NPS website.

Bottom line is if they leave the park they can be harvested, culled, hunted, whatever you want to call it...
Old 05-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Well at least he is a very well informed Yankee...

Read these articles and you will know what he is talking about...

Capture, Slaughter of Yellowstone Bison Roil Big Sky Country

And from the NPS:

Why don't you just let the bison roam freely outside Yellowstone National Park?
  • The State of Montana allows some bison to migrate outside Yellowstone National Park and occupy suitable winter range near the park boundary—and tolerance on additional range may occur in the future. However, mass migrations of many hundreds of bison out of the park have, at times, upset state and local governments and many private landowners and cattle operators.
  • If bison were allowed to increase in abundance and disperse unimpeded into cattle-occupied areas of Montana, it is likely those bison would be lethally removed by state employees or during regulated hunts. Also, the state may retract tolerance for bison in Montana in some areas because the agriculture department has superseding management authority due to chronic brucellosis infection in Yellowstone bison.
  • Thus, management practices such as hunting, hazing, capture, and culling are necessary at times to limit the abundance and distribution of bison and allow people (including federal and state managers) time to learn to live with, and manage, bison.
You can read it all Here on the NPS website.

Bottom line is if they leave the park they can be harvested, culled, hunted, whatever you want to call it...

That's a far cry from not allowed to leave . yes protected in the park but i know montana has had and wish to have bison hunts outside the park .all good need to keep the population in check the wolves have helped keep bison , elk and deer in check almost to much so . Yellowstone is not the only place with bison you have custer park in south dakota for one
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:25 PM   #35

#1 injury at the Grand Canyon here in Arizona:

Tourists bitten by squirrels who are trying to feed them.

Because:

Tourists are stupid

The bears don't like the taste of tourists and...

The elk are too busy to pay attention to them.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:33 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Yellowstone is not the only place with bison you have custer park in south dakota for one
You also have the National Bison Range near Moiese, Montana west of Glacier National Park. It is well worth a visit. For some reason when I lived in Montana they would not allow transfers between it and Yellowstone...
Old 05-16-2016, 07:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Stories like this tick me off. Yellowstone NP reported today that the calf had to be euthanized because the bison herd rejected it.

There are just too many people that have no clue about nature.
the herd didn't reject it, it started coming up to people in cars.

regardless, you can't fix stupid
Old 05-16-2016, 07:43 PM   #38

Back to the OP's topic of bad human interactions with nature.

IMHO, it's due to the people that came to this land and civilized it. Most of the big predators were wiped out. Consequently, we have a lot of people among us that would not naturally be here.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #39

Custer State Park in South Dakota does have a large bison herd, but every year they do a round up of the "excess" animals that are then butchered and the meat sold in the local stores.

Without predators or hunting there is nothing to keep them from over populating the park. If you have ever been through there in the winter and have seen them pushing though several feet of snow to find something to eat you realize that over population would threaten the life of the herd itself.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #40

Why the calf was put down.

BILLINGS -
Frustration boiled online across the nation over the weekend and into Monday.
How could two tourists possibly think it was okay to pick up a bison calf weighing less than 100 pounds, place it in the back of a Toyota Sequoia, and drive to the ranger station in Yellowstone National Park?
Signs, brochures, common sense usually lends visitors remembering the golden rule in national parks -- "If you care, leave them there."
To recap if you missed it, a father and son thought they were sparing a baby bison from the cold, placed it in the SUV, transported it to the ranger station to inform officials of their good deed.
It's not known how hard the ranger's jaw hit the floor of the station, but the tourists didn't escape without someone taking a photo of the head-scratching situation.
Karen Richardson's photo of the incident took off online, immediately going viral with comments admonishing the tourists from a unidentified country.
On Monday, news came down the bison calf could not be successfully reintroduced to the wild and was subsequently euthanized.
"Interference by people can cause mothers to reject their offspring," YNP officials stated in a press release. "In this case, park rangers tried repeatedly to reunite the newborn bison calf with the herd. These efforts failed. The bison calf was later euthanized because it was abandoned and causing a dangerous situation by continually approaching people and cars along the roadway."
Many still questioned why the bison couldn't be moved to a conservation center or elsewhere.
Montana Fish Wildlife and Park's Communication, Education Director Bob Gibson says there is one big reason that may pose a risk for other wildlife.
"It has first to do with disease," Gibson said. "There are diseases in the park that are not elsewhere that we don't want to move that animal and do that. Even when buffalo are transferred from the park off to the tribes, those animals are vetted for disease a lot first. Just to pick up an animal and go over and plunk it down into another herd is asking for trouble. Second, there is no reason to believe that if that little calf was rejected by its original herd that it would not be rejected by the herd you plugged it into another one of the reservations or somewhere else or a conservation center."
Gibson said it's rare to be able to relocate an animal with hooves. Bears and some birds are exceptions, but even then can be difficult to move.
YNP added: "In order to ship the calf out of the park, it would have had to go through months of quarantine to be monitored for brucellosis. No approved quarantine facilities exist at this time, and we don't have the capacity to care for a calf that's too young to forage on its own. Nor is it the mission of the National Park Service to rescue animals: our goal is to maintain the ecological processes of Yellowstone. Even though humans were involved in this case, it is not uncommon for bison, especially young mothers, to lose or abandon their calves. Those animals typically die of starvation or predation."
None of which would need to be considered if tourists learned the golden rule for wildlife.
We reached out to Yellowstone National Park officials to get a better understanding of the ticket handed out to the tourists.
Since it is a federal crime, the tourists will likely face the park's federal magistrate for further punishment.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote