Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #21
Gold Tee Box

Other that what has already been mentioned, If you are near Moab, take a beautiful drive up Rt 128 along the Colorado River to Red Cliffs Lodge. It's a historic location for the cast and crews of so many great movies that have been made in that area. There is a museum of these movies and artifacts of the area. Its a nice drive and very interesting stop, including a wine shop.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #22

I was going to recommend the Shafer Trail down from Island in the Sky visitor center at Canyonlands National park. It leads into Potash trail along the Colorado river, south of Dead Horse Point SP. Stunning and scary! BUT you can't or at least shouldn't take a motorhome. Do you have a toad? Or maybe rent a jeep? Here are 2 pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	164688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kathys phone 10-16-17 079.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	494.8 KB
ID:	164689  
Old 03-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #23
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1A Camper View Post
times 2 what lbrjet said!
only thing I can think to add is Valley of the Gods Rd, and Rainbow Bridge National Monument
Lake Powell take the boat out of page AZ. an
YES... PAGE...Antelope Canyon(s) - upper and lower.
Hint: Use a guide from town, (Charly-that's how he spells it). Don't just front up the upper canyon and jump on the truck, you will have less time and not get to the best positions at the best time of day. Oh, take a camera and a tripod (if you have one).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	USA-Antelope Canyon 011.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	164692   Click image for larger version

Name:	USA-Antelope Canyon 001.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	623.9 KB
ID:	164693  
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #24
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Utah State Route 12 takes you to many fabulous places like Bryce Canyon, a short stub to Kodachrome Basin State Park, Escalante Petrified Forest State Park, Anasazi State Park Museum (if you're a tea lover, buy some Maya Tea there), and the Singletree Forest Service CG about 10 miles south of Torrey. There are good BLM boondocking sites outside of Goblin State Park with slot canyons in the San Rafael Reef. While in Moab, be sure to try your hand at mountain biking on the slickrock outside Arches NP. The Chili Pepper bike shop was very good to us (two septuagenarians), renting us great bikes and pointing us to the best place to get our licks in at the sport (not scary singletrack stuff to start with at least). What we did after that you may not want to know!
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #25

A note about Shafer trail. Not for a faint-hearted driver...but a neat drive for the adventurous.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #26

Last summer we were in Salt Lake.

The tour of the Morman religious center was very interesting. A couple of nice breweries near there.

We went to antelope island in the great salt lake. The salt water is Wierd to swim in. Lots of loose Buffaloes. Neat ski,areas. Waterfalls. Trails.

There is a lot of cool stuff in Utah.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #27

Wow! I knew i could depend on the community here for suggestions! Thanks again to all. I know there are others out there taking notes for future trips too.

To 335bhs: We used to live in San Diego and went to the north Rim every August from monsoon season. Magnificent thunderstorms! No RV then so we would rent a 4WD van and camp in the back.

To RoyalFrog2 & DrLewie: Can't wait to take the Sidekick on the Shafer Trail! I've got a Nobel prize in adventure! I've done 52 bungy jumps in New Zealand, been to the seafloor in a deep sea submersible there, driven race cars in CA, was lowered into an extinct volcano in Iceland, etc, etc.
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #28
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob5560g View Post
Wow! I knew i could depend on the community here for suggestions! Thanks again to all. I know there are others out there taking notes for future trips too.

To 335bhs: We used to live in San Diego and went to the north Rim every August from monsoon season. Magnificent thunderstorms! No RV then so we would rent a 4WD van and camp in the back.

To RoyalFrog2 & DrLewie: Can't wait to take the Sidekick on the Shafer Trail! I've got a Nobel prize in adventure! I've done 52 bungy jumps in New Zealand, been to the seafloor in a deep sea submersible there, driven race cars in CA, was lowered into an extinct volcano in Iceland, etc, etc.
52 bungy jumps, something tells me you need some high density sponge material to fill that empty cavity up top.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #29

Drive the Million Dollar Highway between Capital Reef and Bryce. I can't think of the highway number just now. Just don't stare at something too long, no guard rails. At least when we drove it many, many, moons ago they did not have any. Flaming Gorge is beautiful. I only got to see enough of it from my motorcycle to know I wanted to go back.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #30

Price, Helper and Carbon County

Old 05-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #31

I cant say enough about the Uintah mountain range. It's our main favorite for camping! You also have the heber creeper nearby as well as park city. We also like Hardware ranch area which you can take the many "scenic" routes on the toys to Bear lake and get some fantastic fresh raspberry shakes!
cowboyupgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:32 AM   #32

Just wanted to thank everyone who replied with suggestions. Especially Don who fed me a prolific amount of info via e-mail! We were out for 4 weeks and just returned home to Oregon.

Based mostly on your suggestions, here are some of the places we went:

Anasazi State Park Museum
Arches Nat Park
Burr Trail
Canyonlands Nat Park
Capitol Reef Nat Park
Cedar Breaks State Park Museum
Corona Arch
Dead Horse Point State Park
Escalante Petrified Forest State Park
Fiery Furnace in Arches NP
Grand Staircase - Escalante Nat Monument
Great Basin Nat Park (NV)
Highway 12
Hole in the Rock dirt road in Grand Staircase
Hovenweep Nat Monument
Kodachrome State Park
Moab and surrounding area
Natural Bridges Nat Monument
Red Canyon area outside of Bryce NP
Red Cliffs Lodge near Moab for the movie museum
Route 95 Scenic Hwy
Shafer Trail

We had been to Zion and Bryce years before so skipped them. We'll be returning next year, including to Moab for more 4 x 4 trails! And to see the places we skipped on this trip.

Have attached a photo of DW along side the Geena Davis dummy who rode the convertible off the cliff in Thelma and Louise (Red Cliffs Lodge film museum), and of a breakfast she was inspired to make me after viewing multiple Indian Petroglyph sites....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	173373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1240.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	397.1 KB
ID:	173375  
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags