Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #1

Which Colorado state parks are the best for camping?

We are from Missouri and have been to Mueller State park and absolutely loved it. We would like to try a different park. Some that have been recommended were Ridgway and Steamboat lake. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. We will want an electric site and have a travel trailer.
Thanks
tchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #2

Hey there...Mueller is beautiful! One that is similar is Golden Gates that is between Central City and Nederland. It is about 40 minutes to 1 hour from Denver so fills up quickly. In the off season it is first come first served and reservations can be made in season 6 months in advance. I've not been to Ridgway but have heard from others that it is nice as well. And I've not been to Steamboat Lake or known of anyone that has, but that area of Colorado is very beautiful too.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #3

Thank,

We have heard that Golden Gate is really nice.
Can you recommend some specific campsites?
Old 11-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #4

Most all are very nice, some are back ins and others are pull thrus. Reverend's Ridge E-loop has a lot of nice spots, just stay away from the ones right around the bathroom as they are much closer to it than they look.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #5

O.K. Thanks I will check into that.
I see in your signature that you just got your camper too? We just got a 2010 Rockwood Ultralite 2604SS a month ago and love it. We have been camping 11 nights so far. We just got back from our last trip today. It goes in storage this week. I can't wait for spring!
Old 08-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #6

Ridgway State Park

We camped @ Ridgway SP last June. We loved it. We didn't want to go back home. The San Juan Mountains are awesome. Very beautiful country.
Scop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If you really want to camp in Colorado, look into the National Forest Service campgrounds. There are numerous great campgrounds in Roosevelt just West of Ft. Collins.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:58 PM   #8
Camper, Hiker, Woodworker

We love Sugar Loafin' Campground outside Leadville. Private owned and very nice facility.

2008 19' Rockwood Roo
2007 Dodge Dakota
rnalbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #9

Colorado State Parks

My top ten favorite state parks are-
  1. John Robb, Fruita, W. of grand Junction at the base of Colorado Nat. Monument.
  2. Rifle Falls NW of Glennwood Springs
  3. John Robb East of Grand Junction
  4. Ridgeway between Montrose & Ouray CO
  5. Lathrope state park W of Walsenburg
  6. Boyd Lake near Loveland
  7. Mueller W. of Colorado Springs
  8. Trinidad state park W of trinidad
  9. Golden Gate NE of Denver
  10. Eldorado State park
Jerry Bianchi
JerryBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #10

I used to love Steamboat Lake and nearby Pearl Lake (no hookups there), but they have both been devastated by beetle kill. Most of the trees have been removed and parts of the two look like they were leveled by a bomb. Steamboat is still nice if you like water sports (swimming, fishing, boating are all great, and the fudge is to die for), but it is not what it used to be. Unfortunately, many campgrounds, especially in the northern part of the state have been affected by the beetle epidemic.

I still love Mueller, Golden Gate, Rifle Falls and Cherry Creek. Boyd Lake is also nice, and could become a regular on my itinerary. State Forest (Ranger Lakes) has a great location and electrical hookups, but half the times I have visited there, the dump station has been out of order.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #11

Steamboat Lake

Steamboat was always a must visit until the beetle kill. Great area to photograph wild flowers and OH those misty mornings.

If you really like Steamboat try Ridgeway, it's close to Ouray and has three campgrounds Dakota Terraces Campground overlooks the marina ELk Ridge in the woods above and Pa CO Chu Puk below the dam. The first two have electric and shared water the third ahs full hookups including sewage. There is boating and fishing on the lake with a small stocked pond a river access below the dam ata Pa Co Chu Puk.

If traveling to the west slope, Rifle falls is small and quaint with Rifle Gap and harvey Gap within a few miles for boating and fishing.

John Robb in Fruita at the base of Colorado National Monument is great for kids as there is the Dinosaur museaum right next to it.

Happy camping, maybe we'll meet somewhere, I live in Lakewood

Jerry & Rusty Bianchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashonthedash View Post
I used to love Steamboat Lake and nearby
Pearl Lake (no hookups there), but they have both been devastated by beetle kill. Most of the trees have been removed and parts of the two look like they were leveled by a bomb. Steamboat is still nice if you like water sports (swimming, fishing, boating are all great, and the fudge is to die for), but it is not what it used to be. Unfortunately, many campgrounds, especially in the northern part of the state have been affected by the beetle epidemic.

I still love Mueller, Golden Gate, Rifle Falls and Cherry Creek. Boyd Lake is also nice, and could become a regular on my itinerary. State Forest (Ranger Lakes) has a great location and electrical hookups, but half the times I have visited there, the dump station has been out of order.
JerryBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #12

Hiking (with my dogs if allowed) and swimming are my favorite camping activities. I've been to Ridgway a couple of times, nice campground but a little hot during the summer months, not enough hiking trails, and a bit far for just a weekend. Steamboat's trails are mostly open so no protection from heat or weather (especially for the dogs), but I loved Pearl Lake and often stayed at Steamboat on the same trip for the swimming, electricity and dump station (and, of course, the fudge). Mueller and Golden Gate have two of the best trail systems of any Colorado State Park, although pets are not allowed on the trails at Mueller. Rifle Falls is special because of the falls, the caves and, before they blocked it off, wading through the tunnel along the creek. Although it's not a State Park, and has no hookups, this year I discovered Kenosha Pass campground, a small but beautiful NF campground situated right along the Colorado Trail, and not very far from home. I plan on returning next year. Sylvan Lake is also among my favorites. It has no hookups and not a lot of shade, but oh those night skies!

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote