Old 12-31-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Who's been from Zion thru UT Highways 89, 12, 24 and CO 70 & 25?

Looking for input on highlights from your trips Campgrounds, places to see, places to skip, places to eat and drink and whatever else!

We are traveling in a FR Flagstaff. No kids and no pets for 4 weeks in early summer.

Thanks, you are awesome

Dow Jones

And, thanks for all the informative discussions I've enjoyed on this forum.

dowjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
I have. You will have an unbelievable time with unbelievable scenery. Lots of Utah info with Google search. You can't skip Moab since you will be driving right by. When I have more time will give you some highlights.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #3
As previously stated, the scenery is fantastic. After Zion you have Bryce, after Bryce you have Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument. After GSENM, you have Capital Reef (and you drive right through it on Hwy 24), then if you decide to head into Moab you can do it one of two ways. At Hanksville turn south onto Hwy 95 then down through Blanding and up 191 into Moab. That way you can also see Canyonlands Needles district, and the Needles and Anticline overlooks.

In Moab you have Arches and Canyonlands Island in the Sky District. Then north on 191 up to I 70.

I have never camped at a commercial campground; however, there are plenty of UT state parks along that route. Kodachrome Basin outside of Cannonville, Escalante Petrified Forest outside of Escalante, Goblin Valley just north of Hanksville and of course, Deadhorse Point just down the fork in the road from Canyonlands Island in the Sky District.

Also, Capital Reef has a decent size campground, off Hwy 24, near the park headquarters. Since Capital Reef is almost never noted due to being overshadowed by Zion, Bryce, Arches and Canyonlands, it never gets too busy. And yet, with a 4x4, Capital Reef is fanstastic to visit and camp in. Problem is their best campground is accessed via a rather nasty trail and normally a test is needed.

Restaurants. Flying Monkey in Springdale, just outside of Zion. Great wood fired pizza and burgers aren't bad either.

Slackers (formerly Dave's) off Hwy 24, Torrey UT, just west of Capital Reef. Great burgers. Torrey actually has quite a few nice restaurants from the Chimney Rock on the western end of town to La Cueva Mexican on the eastern end of town.

When camping I'm more of a burger, sub, pizza guy than any inside sit down type restaurants, but spent some time in Torrey when at Capital Reef area so I did hit more than burger places.

I live in Moab for six years, so I know almost every restaurant there, and there area a heck of a lot; especially since it is one big tourist attraction.

Moab has quite a few good and even a few great restaurants, from Zak's in town with all you can eat pizza to Eddie Mcstiff's, Buck's and Sunset Grill on the high end. Can't beat the view from Sunset though.

Also, those areas get busy in spring and especially Moab after Easter week. (During the week before Easter you have the Jeep Safari week and everything books up quick. And restaurants are packed.)

Guess if you are that close, you might want to do a one-day visit to Monument Valley....
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #4
We stay only at campgrounds with full hookups. For that trip we stayed at Bauers in Glendale for Zion and Cedar Breaks. Rt 9 is a spectacular drive. Stayed at the KOA in Cannonville for Bryce, Red Canyon and Kodachrome. There is RV parking at the forest service office in Red Canyon. At least stop in as you drive by. We did some great hikes there. We stayed in Escalante in a small park downtown. Burr Trail road is another must see, all the way to the end and down into Capitol Reef if you are so inclined. Did some good hikes at Kodachrome and Bryce. Hiking at Bryce at something you won't forget. We love Capitol Reef. The Grand Wash is a great hike there as well as Hickman Bridge. In Torrey we have stayed both at Thousand Lakes and Sand Creek. There is a real grocery store in Loa. Goblin Valley is pretty cool too and is worth a stop since you are driving by if you take 24. 95 is a pretty spectacular drive itself if you go that way. If you do go that way swing into Natural Bridges, it is a wonderful place. They have a spot to drop a trailer or unhook a toad so you can do the loop drive. Excellent hiking as well. Rt 12 will be an experience undo to itself. Mind numbing scenery. There is a hike on Calf Creek that is supposed to be good, but we didn't have time to do it. A couple of parking areas on top of Boulder Mountain with great views of Capitol Reef and the distant Henry Mountains. We spent two weeks in Moab by itself. Way too many things to list to do. The Colorado National Monument I would put on the must do list if you have the time. We have stayed at the KOA's in Grand Junction, Montrose and Gunnison, all decent. Ouray is worth a visit. The KOA in Central City is an experience at 8900 feet. We stayed at Riverview in Loveland for the RMNP and stayed at Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. So far we have spent a total of two months in Colorado and three months in Utah and have barely scratched the surface. So many things to do and places to see. We rarely eat out so can't help with that one.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
Take the time and check out all the parks. Incredible scenery.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
Looks like you got good infor on NP, here are 2 State parks that are must see.
Dead Horse Point State Park
Goblin Valley State Park
Steve and Adele
2014 Flagstaff T12RBST
2005 Toyota 4runner 4x4
1A Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #7

Have been here a few times via car and plane and longed to have our Sunseeker. One day... Might I add if you are an animal lover- Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanaab would be my detour. All orher duggestions are great. I could do 4 weeks just in this region.
skreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Dow Jones,
You didn't mention what type of Flagstaff trailer you have. I have a popup so noise is a factor. I stayed in the Hurricane/St. George KOA near Zion National Park. It sits near the freeway, Hwy 15 and is noisy all night. The Utah State parks provide very good campgrounds.
I always get one dinner at Cafe Diablo in Torrey, Utah which is near Capital Reef NP. Always good food.
There's lots to see and do in that part of the country. You will have an enjoyable trip.

2014 Flagstaff MAC 207
mwaite49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
In the Kanab area, we stayed at Paria Canyon Guest Ranch. Reservations are a must, they only have a couple of full hookup sites. We will go back again.

Shady Acres RV Park in Green River was another good location. Did day trips to Goblin Valley, Capitol Reef. Really dog friendly. We were there during Watermelon Days (Sept). Best watermelon I've ever tasted - fun small town parade.

Moab - stayed at Canyonlands RV park many times. The first time we went it was on the edge of town, now in the middle of town. Spaces are pretty close together.
Donna and Bob (retired USAF),
fur babies Casey (mix), Lucy and Loki (standard poodles)

had a 2015 Rockwood 8281 WS - traded for another brand.
2016 RAM 3500
DNBINFV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
Between Zion and Brice is Red Canyon Forest Service campground. Lot nicer than camping in Brice and not too far away. Also...2nd Goblin Valley State Park.

dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote