Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
Yellowstone

We will be going to Yellowstone in June 15 we will be staying in Cody Wy on the East side Gate of Yellowstone for five days. From there we will be going to Hill AF Base in Salt Lake Utah. Question I have is when leaving Cody I was planning on going thru Yellowstone to the West Gate going to Utah. Will I be able to do that with my MH & toad are there any tunnels or obstruction I will in counter? looking at the map that looks like the best and shortest route. Does anybody else have a better route they did? thank you in advance for all input. This will be our first long trip so I'm a little nervous of the un know.
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #2

You will have no problem going from Cody through Yellowstone to the West Gate with your MH and toad. I can't help you with the rest of your route to Utah since I'm not sure which roads you plan to use.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #3

When I lived in Moab, I traveled a couple different routes through SLC to the Cody area and back. The way you ask about is good, but not sure if any better than heading out of Cody south on 120 to Thermopolis then south to Riverton, and from Riverton south to Rock Springs and onto I80 into SLC.
It is "probably" faster, but I say probably due to how busy Yellowstone is at the time you pass through. And if there are a lot of wild animals grazing near the roads, you can easily get tied up with people who park in the middle of the road to take photos.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:43 AM   #4

If you traveled south out of Yellowstone, you could take in Grand Teton. Well worth the stop.

Have a great trip,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
When I lived in Moab, I traveled a couple different routes through SLC to the Cody area and back. The way you ask about is good, but not sure if any better than heading out of Cody south on 120 to Thermopolis then south to Riverton, and from Riverton south to Rock Springs and onto I80 into SLC.
It is "probably" faster, but I say probably due to how busy Yellowstone is at the time you pass through. And if there are a lot of wild animals grazing near the roads, you can easily get tied up with people who park in the middle of the road to take photos.
We got tied up in Yellowstone on the 3rd of July this year because of a wreck caused by someone who stopped in the road.
There are signs that say not to stop in the roadway, evidentially several people failed reading in school (if they went)////
Old 12-31-2014, 12:10 PM   #6

Do you already have reservations in Cody, WY? It is 51 miles from Cody, WY to the YNP east entrance which means you will be adding 100 miles of driving time everyday. Personally I’d rather stay closer to the park and use the less driving time for touring Yellowstone. You might consider staying at a campground in West Yellowstone. The west gate is at the eastern edge of the town.

I ditto what dmdrj5 said. Grand Teton National Park is just a couple of miles south of YNP and a must see as far as I’m concerned.

Here' a link to a thread I started in 2013 about our trip to Yellowstone with pictures.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-np-48853.html

I hope you have a great trip.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-31-2014, 12:10 PM   #7

If I was at Yellowstone and had never seen the Tetons, there would be no way that I wouldn't go south and see then, Have a great trip and Happy New Year.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:56 PM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Dutch, take my wife, please...

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:08 PM   #9

I agree, the Tetons are worthwhile seeing, and not that much out of the way, but it will tack on quite a lot of time. However, once you get south of the Tetons you can take Teton Pass west to Victor ID, then head west to I15. Personally, I love Teton Pass, but many people hate it.
Or go south out of Jackson to avoid Teton Pass go south.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 12-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
We got tied up in Yellowstone on the 3rd of July this year because of a wreck caused by someone who stopped in the road.
There are signs that say not to stop in the roadway, evidentially several people failed reading in school (if they went)////

My experience have been they are not from this country and they do not speak or read English. And the worse exit/entrance, in my experience (been through Yellowstone probably a dozen times in the past four years), is the northeast to or from Cooke City.

If you have time, a fun thing to do is pull over onto the shoulder of the road, get out of the vehicle with a DSLR and a long lens, and count the cars that pull over to see what you are taking photos of.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:55 PM   #11

Last year I went to Yellowstone from Salt Lake along the route you are contemplating. I didn't see anything that would prevent you from going that way.

On the way home, I went south past the Grand Tetons and into Jackson before returning to Salt Lake.

The trip to Yellowstone through Idaho, heading east into the west entrance is the quickest route from Salt Lake. The trip back via Grand Tetons and Jackson is far more interesting, though it does take longer.
davido_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #12
Fireman

Yellowstone

Oakman,

I was going to make reservation at Rafter J campgrounds in Cody, did not reliaze that is over 50 miles from East Gate. do you know any RV park closer beside staying inside the park. Or is my best bet camping at the West gate side.
US Air Force Retire SMS
Old 01-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #13
Fireman

Oakman, Sorry Rafter J is near Mt Rushmore. Question still is what is best area to camp close to East Gate.

Thanks
US Air Force Retire SMS
Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
Oakman, Sorry Rafter J is near Mt Rushmore. Question still is what is best area to camp close to East Gate.

Thanks
There is a National Forest Service (NFS) campground called Three Mile Campground just three miles from the east gate of Yellowstone. There are no hookups and I can’t remember if potable water was available at the campground or not. It has been many years since I drove through that campground. That campground only has 20 sites and may already be booked solid for June.

If you need full hookups and want to stay on the east side of the park then I don’t know of any campgrounds closer than Cody, WY.

There are a number of campgrounds just outside the west gate in West Yellowstone, MT. The nicest of those parks is Yellowstone Grizzly RV park but it is pricey. A slightly cheaper option would be Buffalo Crossing RV park which is just a block away from Grizzly. It is basically a gravel parking lot with full hookups and right next to the IMAX theater. There are a number of other RV parks in the West Yellowstone area but I don’t know much about those.

Another option for full hookups would be Headwaters Lodge and Cabins which was formerly called Flagg Ranch. They are just outside the south gate of Yellowstone and have 50 amp full hookups and are located between Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park.

Just outside the Roosevelt Gate on the north side of the park is Gardiner, Montana and it has two campgrounds right in the town.

Regardless of where you stay I hope you have a great time in Yellowstone.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 01-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #15

Dutch, We stayed at Yellowstone Valley Inn in 2013. Nice CG with a great view. Full hook up, 25 mi. from the east entrance. They also have a great resturant. I recomend the pork chops. My DW would recomend the spaghetti . Enjoy your trip.
bobcrowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #16

National forest service Wapiti campground is about halfway between Cody and the east entrance and has electrical hookups on the eastern loop. Has a few drive through spots for big rigs and a lot of back in sites.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Dutch, take my wife, please...
Cover dog and dutch. I'm telling! Unless you take mine too. Lol

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #18

Take some warm clothes. I was in Yellowstone in mid-June in 1990 and 1994 and it snowed both times. Unless global warming (excuse me - "climate change") is helping, it will probably be chilly.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #19
Fireman

Yellowstone

Bill & dcheatwood,

I will take your wives with us they are wonderfully persons also they can babysit Buddy we me at Kathie go side seeing. tell them to start packing and give them some spending money oh I will also need some spending money.
US Air Force Retire SMS
Old 01-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #20
Site Team

Funny. But you can leave buddy here to play with Chloe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1420733863146.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	68238  

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote