Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

There are some nice National Forest Service campgrounds near the NE entrance.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #42

Here's a great park with great views right outside the north gate:
Rocky Mountain RV Park and Lodging Vacation at Yellowstone National Park
RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #43

Good discussion. DW and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone but it will be after Labor Day. This usually a bit slower in most National Parks that we have visited though there are a lot of European tourists.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #44

" Zargonians " Check this place out. Rocky Mountain RV Park and Lodging Vacation at Yellowstone National Park. It's just like being in the park and still have a small town there for eating and shopping. The entrance take you right down the middle of the park. Elk cut right through the RV Park. You sit high on a ridge with a great view.
RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Not necessarily true.

Hybrids can stay in Fishing Bridge IF you stay "turtled".

Meaning you don't deploy the tent ends and sleep on the sofa and dinette, like regular smaller TT.
I called the reservations office about this as we were going to do this as an alternative, however, I was told absolutely not! I couldn't understand that as we would have no canvas showing, but they said we could not book at Fishing Bridge with a hybrid unit whether it was deployed or not.
106 nights 2016, 83 nights 2017
Going Full Time in Spring 2018

Zargonians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:31 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zargonians View Post
I called the reservations office about this as we were going to do this as an alternative, however, I was told absolutely not! I couldn't understand that as we would have no canvas showing, but they said we could not book at Fishing Bridge with a hybrid unit whether it was deployed or not.
I've read posts from a number of hybrid owners who were able to stay at FB.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:41 AM   #47

I guess that was some of the point of my thread, it seems like the rules are all over the place. Currently checking out everyone suggestions...

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #48

Stayed n Fishin Bridge in June of 2013. Booked 35 foot site for my 34 foot tt. Sites are very tight, had to pull up and back twice to squeeze in. Was unable to let awning out, but did not need it with all the tall trees around the size. Was able to park across site enterance without issues. Could not back in due site length. For th canvas folks, there is reason for the ban, bear alert went off twice during our 6 night stay, not to mention the bizon roaming through the grounds, in a big herd. The enterance to Fishin Bridge was limited for about an hour, loved it sat in the tv and shot some great movies. My advice is to figure out the parking at Fishin Bridge, it is the best centerslly located cg in the park. I remember logging over 500 miles during our stay. The outer loop is very long, we went west on one trip for the day, left on another day trip to take in the falls and their natural attractions. Other post mentioned early out from cg, true saw several bear spotters that were more than glad to share their cameras with long lenses. Late afternoons are when the bison herds seem to move, they lake over the road for 15-30 minutes when they migrate around, the inner loop seemed to be best for this activity. Can not say enough for Old Faithful, caught her activity on video at least 3 times. If you have not got a Golden Age pass or other do so, you do want to plan refuel stops outside the park, remember fuel being about $0.50 more a gallon when we were there inside the park. Outside West gate had best fuel prices when we there. Daily passes will cost you plenty as anew one is required on each entry. Camp where you are booked, sites are hard to get in Fishin Bridge, enjoy the park great place to stay, hoping to go back next year or so. Doing the east side of US this year.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I've read posts from a number of hybrid owners who were able to stay at FB.
I guess I should not have even mentioned we had a hybrid and they would never have known. I guess it depends on who you talk to and what you tell them. It does look like the rules are all over the place!
106 nights 2016, 83 nights 2017
Going Full Time in Spring 2018

Zargonians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #50

At Fishing Bridge they have never checked the camper, whatever size you book is what size you get. It is just tight spots to get in. Your Golden Age or park pass does not get you half off like in other campgrounds inside the park. I love camping at Fishing Bridge, DW does not, it is just really tight. I was so close to the camper behind me that we could shake hands and be in different campers. Tree right at front door, I had a choice, slide out or awning out but not both. Sometimes you have to wait to get in your spot because one or more campers are backing in. Getting out is the same way but it's about fun, besides you shouldn't be in a hurry when camping. Yellowstone is a beautiful place take as much time as you can and enjoy the park, I guarantee that you'll want to come back

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #51

So I just found this buried on the xanterra booking website. I had to click on "more information" several times under different links and I only found this for Fishing Bridge...Looks like I need to call someone back...

When calling to make a reservation be prepared to give the combined length of your RV and any other vehicles or towed vehicles. (e.g. the length of your truck in addition to the length of your trailer when fully open.)
• Fishing Bridge RV sites will accommodate a towing unit and a towed unit side-by-side. For example, a 35-foot site would accommodate an 18-foot truck and a 35-foot trailer (unhooked) side-by-side in the site. Adjust for slide outs.
• Rates are per night and do not include taxes and utility fee.
• Rates include two showers per night. Rates do not include taxes and utility fee. Rates and dates are subject to change. Interagency Access and Senior Pass discounts are not available at Fishing Bridge RV Park...

Figured it might be worth sharing for anyone looking to book there or had the same issue I was running into...

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 03-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice12t View Post
So I just found this buried on the xanterra booking website. I had to click on "more information" several times under different links and I only found this for Fishing Bridge...Looks like I need to call someone back...

When calling to make a reservation be prepared to give the combined length of your RV and any other vehicles or towed vehicles. (e.g. the length of your truck in addition to the length of your trailer when fully open.)
• Fishing Bridge RV sites will accommodate a towing unit and a towed unit side-by-side. For example, a 35-foot site would accommodate an 18-foot truck and a 35-foot trailer (unhooked) side-by-side in the site. Adjust for slide outs.
• Rates are per night and do not include taxes and utility fee.
• Rates include two showers per night. Rates do not include taxes and utility fee. Rates and dates are subject to change. Interagency Access and Senior Pass discounts are not available at Fishing Bridge RV Park...

Figured it might be worth sharing for anyone looking to book there or had the same issue I was running into...
I wonder if that applies to Canyon Village as well.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #53

Come to Cody WY...lots of parks (make reservations) lots to see and do and Yellowstone is only about an hours drive. I live here and the word is the camp sites in Yellowstone are very tight..Have a good one.
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #54

I just talked to a friend of mine who works in Yellowstone Park and he says there are some spots at Fishing Bridge that likely can handle 35' rigs plus the truck...but likely would be a little tight.
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #55

I think most everyone has mentioned it is tight but possible...throw me some names of places the closer to the park the better...

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #56

Oh and DM I can check tomorrow about other location but I only remember seeing fishing bridge say that...

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 03-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
I wonder if that applies to Canyon Village as well.
Looks like it does not...This is all it states...

- Campground sites that will accommodate a maximum combined length of 40-feet or more are limited.

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 03-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #58

Quote:
Looks like it does not...This is all it states...

- Campground sites that will accommodate a maximum combined length of 40-feet or more are limited.
So this is what I think is throwing us. When you make a reservation, they want to know the length of your Trailer and TV, hitched together, and if that is too long for the spot, then you can't reserve it. i.e. We have a 32 foot TT (tip to tail) and a Suburban 19 foot long. Hitched together, it's 51'. But as I read all the posts, many describe parking their TV across the way or elsewhere. We reserved a 40' spot, but had to say our combined length was 40' to do it, betting from all the posts, (not just this forum), that we would be good to park a 32' trailer in the 40' spot and park the TV else where, or even next to the trailer as some describe. But it sounds like the rules are all over the place and people have had different experiences in the same campgrounds, so who knows? It's very frustrating.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
So this is what I think is throwing us. When you make a reservation, they want to know the length of your Trailer and TV, hitched together, and if that is too long for the spot, then you can't reserve it. i.e. We have a 32 foot TT (tip to tail) and a Suburban 19 foot long. Hitched together, it's 51'. But as I read all the posts, many describe parking their TV across the way or elsewhere. We reserved a 40' spot, but had to say our combined length was 40' to do it, betting from all the posts, (not just this forum), that we would be good to park a 32' trailer in the 40' spot and park the TV else where, or even next to the trailer as some describe. But it sounds like the rules are all over the place and people have had different experiences in the same campgrounds, so who knows? It's very frustrating.
I agree 100% that is why I wanted to get some conversation going to help figure this all out.

So I just spoke with the reservation office. He confirmed that at Fishing Bridge because it is an RV Park/CG that the sites are "double wide" meaning you can park your unit and TV on the same site as long as you booked the correct length site. Now for the other locations/CG most are not "double wide" sites to that is why they want rig length. However you can sometimes fit into a site being slightly longer however at the end of the day the "Ranger/Check in person" can make the ultimate decision and say yes/no...rather not have to deal with that...

So after several pages of posts and a few days I think I finally have a legitimate answer.

Thanks Everyone!

Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Old 03-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #60

Quote:
I agree 100% that is why I wanted to get some conversation going to help figure this all out.

So I just spoke with the reservation office. He confirmed that at Fishing Bridge because it is an RV Park/CG that the sites are "double wide" meaning you can park your unit and TV on the same site as long as you booked the correct length site. Now for the other locations/CG most are not "double wide" sites to that is why they want rig length. However you can sometimes fit into a site being slightly longer however at the end of the day the "Ranger/Check in person" can make the ultimate decision and say yes/no...rather not have to deal with that...

So after several pages of posts and a few days I think I finally have a legitimate answer.

Thanks Everyone!
Yes I think that is the answer, but not the solution, at least not for us. We reserved a 2nd spot to put our TV in case we had a problem with the first spot. Reading a comment on this forum suggested that was a no, no, so we will take a tent and have our 19 year old son sleep there if an issue. The frustration with not really knowing could be solved if the campgrounds would be more specific on what can REALLY fit in a site. Say it's a single or double, or you can put your TV next to your TT or not. The way it is now, it's a guessing game. We are not new to camping but new to camping with a trailer and never really noticed this issue until we got the trailer. It seems from all the comments, the real solution is "live and learn". Go some place, note the spots that work, learn from your experience. Just a tough lesson to learn if you drive 1000 miles only to be turned away.

Tags
camping