Old 03-16-2016, 04:03 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
We are at Canyon Village in Yellowstone and are concerned with the same issue. 2014 Suburban and 32' TT. Our solution was to book an extra site for the Suburban. There are two TT going so both cars will be in the other site. If it's not an issue, we will give up the other site.
Big rules against reserving a spot just for your vehicle. I think the ranger will get involved. They are really picky about that since they are usually full and that makes them turn someone away. If they would put in overflow parking it would solve everything but that might take money away from building another souvenir shop.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #32

We have a hybrid and they are not allowed in Fishing Bridge. We planned to stay in Canyon Village, but when I read that you have to account for the length of both TV and TT, we were WAY over the limit for anything available. So very disappointed as we wanted to stay in the park, but we made a reservation at Grizzly and didn't look back. We are going in late Aug/early September. Hopefully a lot of the big crowds will be gone by then and we won't be sitting in long lines trying to get in or through the park. May be wishful thinking on my part ;-) We'll have fun no matter what!

106 nights 2016, 42 nights 2017
Going Full Time in 2018

Zargonians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #33

We have stayed twice in Yellowstone, once in Canyon and twice in Fishing Bridge. Fishing Bridge is tight, I booked 40ft sites there with a 36ft fifth wheel. I had a travel trailer that was 28ft for a 30ft spot and it was tight, it's like parking at Walmart. We could not put our awning out. Canyon was a lot better to get in but a little hard to get level. The Park Rangers told me if you booked a 40ft spot at Canyon or Madison your total length hooked up could not be more than 50ft, 50ft and you were good 51 you could not camp. If you reserved a 30ft spot your camper had better be 30ft or less. Now it could be the roads inside the campground. I took a travel trailer in 08 and they measured me. I also stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone and it was great. Yellowstone is one great place to go, I never worry about traffic in Yellowstone, we are all there for the same things, wildlife and sights. I am going back in June this year, DW and I love Yellowstone. I have been four times, twice without a camper

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #34

Oh one other thing only hard sided campers in Fishing Bridge but you will see bears in any campground

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #35
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
It has more to do with when those sites were put in. Back then big trailers were 20 feet long with no sildeouts and pulled by a car, not a crewcab pickup.
EXACTLY!
It's the RV industry change to longer, wider and more luxurious rigs, over the decades and the publics desire for such rigs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #36
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Oh one other thing only hard sided campers in Fishing Bridge but you will see bears in any campground

Not necessarily true.

Hybrids can stay in Fishing Bridge IF you stay "turtled".

Meaning you don't deploy the tent ends and sleep on the sofa and dinette, like regular smaller TT.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:12 PM   #37

Going to talk with the wife tonight about either West Yellowstone or Flagg ranch, I do have family stay there during the same time. Thanks for the info everyone sorry to dust off an age old topic.

2016 Days Camped - 31
2017 Camping Blues - ...
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga99 View Post
Big rules against reserving a spot just for your vehicle. I think the ranger will get involved. They are really picky about that since they are usually full and that makes them turn someone away. If they would put in overflow parking it would solve everything but that might take money away from building another souvenir shop.
Well, if we bring a tent and set it up in the spot, would that work for them?
Old 03-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #39

Maybe they are being picky about length because of people booking a 35' site and showing up with a 45' combo?
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
Maybe they are being picky about length because of people booking a 35' site and showing up with a 45' combo?
...Yes I can agree and fully admit that is one of the reason I wanted to get a site closer to my combo length. I have read on here in the past about people booking site with a similar setup and fitting without issue. I can also understand why that could make them start cracking down. That is also the same reason I am looking for advice on alternatives. I am more than willing to listen if you have any advice to offer, well besides the obvious...

And my apologies for seeming like a moron, I promise I am not, pulled the trigger a little quick, just excited about getting back to the park and sharing the experience with my wife and our new 5'er...

2016 Days Camped - 31
2017 Camping Blues - ...
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping