Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #1

Yellowstone, Glacier and more

Just finished a 6 week, 4.5k mile trip. No major issues with our 2650ws 5th wheel. I upgraded to disc brakes (LOVE IT!!).
Traveled up I-5 to Portland from Bakersfield..The central valley is hot and the new 2nd AC paid for itself. Portland to Yellowstone for 5 days in early September. Not crowded. Geysers, bison, and elk everywhere. Not planned, but went to Glacier National Park. All I can say is stunning!! West Glacier KOA is awesome.
Then on to Little Bighorn National Monument. Very moving. 7th Ranch rv park is a nice little park. Can't say we enjoyed driving through Wyoming. Headwinds for 4 DAYS!! Sucky mileage.
Flaming Gorge is a great day trip.
Stayed in Salt Lake city and visited the Mormon Square and heard the choir.
All I can say for SLC roads is.....TERRIBLE!!
I-15 thru Vegas and last night at Calico Ghost town near Barstow. A nice cap to our trip.
Glacier is a must see for everyone as is the Little Bighorn.
Bought enough novelty Tees to keep me till next fall's trip.
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:10 PM   #2

Sounds like a good trip! We're trying to plan a Late Summer vacation for next year to the Grand Canyon, Denver, and Yellowstone...did you have to reserve sites ahead of time or did you find them as you went? This will be our first tour type trip and we worry about finding open sites at some of the more popular places...
Msouthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #3

I made reservations for the first part of the trip. (up to Yellowstone). After that we called the day or two before. We stayed mostly at KOAs as we like to use the pools after a day's drive.
Usually after Labor day, there are no issues on reservations.
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #4

We had a Grand Teton & Yellowstone tour on the 9th. Didn't get into Yellowstone because roads were closed due to a tiny bit of snow. Be careful about going in October. Temps in the single digits on the 10th. Special precautions needed to avoid freezing plumbing.
aldermanjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #5

Wink Spring 2020 Trip to Grand Tetons; Yellowstone and Glacier

We are planning a trip in late May starting in Eastern Colorado and heading north to the Grand Tetons then to Yellowstone and up to Glacier. We are towing with an F-350 and pulling a 34 foot fifth wheel. It will be our 2nd trip out with it. I am looking for recommendations for best route and campsites for this trip. Thanks for your input and advice.:
Recommendations on sites to see would be helpful, too.
MelFor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelFor View Post
We are planning a trip in late May starting in Eastern Colorado and heading north to the Grand Tetons then to Yellowstone and up to Glacier. We are towing with an F-350 and pulling a 34 foot fifth wheel. It will be our 2nd trip out with it. I am looking for recommendations for best route and campsites for this trip. Thanks for your input and advice.:
Be aware that Fishing Bridge CG may still be closed then. We stayed at Madison and Grant but we don't need hookups.
At Glacier, we stayed at Apgar CG but again we don't need hookups.
At Grand Tetons, we stayed at Colter Bay CG, not the RV campground. We prefer big private non-hookup campsites to the crowded and tight RV campground sites.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelFor View Post
If you're in Glacier the Road to the Sun may be still closed when you're there depending on amount of snow they get. Usually they open in late June to mid July. I'm about an hour north and so far we've had some early snow, but yesterday it was raining and +8C (46F) and windy.

Also Many Glacier Road will undergo a major repair this coming year:
https://www.nps.gov/glac/learn/news/...or-2020-21.htm

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote