Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #41

We were there this past July and stayed in Grizzly RV Resort just outside West entrance and loved it.... We also moved into the park and stayed at Bridge Bay Campground and it too was great - lots of wild life - bison and elk came into campsite....

We were in 40' MH pulling a Mini Cooper....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #42

[QUOTE=dutch;533519]This is a great thread on Yellowstone information, we are heading there in Sept too, we are looking also what is the best place to stay inside or outside the park, if we stay outside is there a long line to get back in the park in the mornings, are there more that one opening to that park? or should we stay inside and what would be the best place to stay with a 38ft MH with a toad? The DW whats full hookup. we will also be going to Mt Rushmore any information where to stay in that area? Since this is the first time we are going out west we do not want to miss anything and we might not be back in the area, any information on where to stay and what is a must to see would be greatly appreciated. we are hopeing to do this in two and half weeks leaving from Pittsburgh if anybody has gone that way from here any suggesting on route. I know this is a long thread but this is a great place to ask questions and i would like to Thank every one in advance.

If you are going to spend some at Mt. Rushmore, check out Custer State Park just up the road from Rushmore. We were in Rushmore and Yellowstone last Sept. and really enjoyed it. We were home one week before the big blizzard and Gov't. shut-down. If you can visit Rushmore at night for the lighting, very impressive! Enjoy your trip.
dparkpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #43

well...yall weren't kidding...the big spots book up quick...

I got sept 3-6 in Madison...it was only site with big spot left!
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
which cg that xanterra runs do not allow at least some genny use in designated spots besides fishing bridge? as far as i was told there are time restrictions (8am-8pm) and of course db limits.....but for most of the rv parks i inquired about allowed genny usage....

i think i was told the db limit was like 70......i think that is a little bit generous....even my loud champion genny is no where near that...
i agree. Madison, Canyon, Bridge Bay, Mammoth, Norris and Grant all allow generators from 8am-8pm.
only the 5 smaller campgrounds, in the park, don't allow them. and they have much smaller campsites that many RV's won't fit in.

here's a link the the campground info:
Campgrounds - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #45

I'm glad you were able to book a site big enough for your rig ironj. Madison is an excellent campground in September. Here's a picture of a bull elk that was hanging around the dump station at Madison. His girlfriends can be seen in the background.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i agree. Madison, Canyon, Bridge Bay, Mammoth, Norris and Grant all allow generators from 8am-8pm.
only the 5 smaller campgrounds, in the park, don't allow them. and they have much smaller campsites that many RV's won't fit in.

here's a link the the campground info:
Campgrounds - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Sorry. My bad.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #47

We did your exact trip in July - went to Mt. Rushmore first then Yellowstone, Tetons, and Colorado....

We stayed at Mt. Rushmore KOA which was probably one of the best CG's we've ever stayed at.... They have a shuttle that takes guests over to the monument.... Went to Billings, MT from there then to Yellowstone, then the Tetons...

Stayed at Grizzly RV Resort in West Yellowstone then Bay Bridge in the park... Then to Flagg Ranch in Tetons then to Colter Bay... I highly recommend the Breakfast cruise at Colter Bay - beautiful scenery plus great food...
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #48

Yes...I was looking into the koa and colter bay..may extend my stay in yellowstone and stay a cple more days in an rv park on opposite side of madison to look around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #49

We really liked Colter Bay CG but be aware - their water pressure is tremendous.... Even with a regulator I blew two hoses.... Had to end up barely turning on water at faucet which saved my final hose....

There's lots to do and to see at and around Colter Bay so enjoy....

We did wish we had spent more time around Mt. Rushmore... Just scratched the surface with our sight seeing... Don't miss driving the. Needles Highway .... Amazing, especially in a Mini Cooper - lol.... It was born for that road....
Old 01-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I'm glad you were able to book a site big enough for your rig ironj. Madison is an excellent campground in September. Here's a picture of a bull elk that was hanging around the dump station at Madison. His girlfriends can be seen in the background.
so its a multiple girlfreind site!! ill run that by my wife..LOL

yes the bigger rv sites were pretty booked evidentally....canyon was full for the month i think for all the 40ft sites...

the lady was SUPER helpful tho....ironically she had been to my town and actually knew of my place of business!! small freaking world! she was full of advice and tips.....she did however say it was good we called because the park was going to very strict on length and parking...i guess many were booking via internet and showing up over the stated limits...i even inquired about using a reg 40ft spot and parking my truck in the parking lot...she said no...they will not book it like that..the site i got was a 4xl?...

so that the first step outta the way....its hard to imagine im booking for sept already..LOL...by the time it comes around this trip is gonna be more expensive than going to maui...

i just keep on buying stuff to do mods on the trailer/tv....never had to spend 2 full weeks living outta the trailer...and my wife is spoiled and i told her she would not know the diff from being in an rv park...

now....what can i do to get 22mpg towing.... :-)
Old 01-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #51

Quote:
Yes..we will most definitely go back once the daughter is older and can really appreciate it for wgat it is. The tetons are on theb def to do list...would also like to hike as much as possible while backpacking my 2yr old or if trails allow our off road stroller (mtn bike like stroller)....so I imagine some places/views will be too narrow or steep...im not worried about us...I hiked at 8k on ski slopes with my daughter on my back while playing disc golf!!.lol

sent from fat fingers with no regard to grammer via a space dish thingy
Mystic Falls is a short hike worth taking and it’s fairly easy until you actually get to the falls where the trail gets steep and rocky. Since the trailhead is just off the boardwalk at Biscuit Basin you can kill two birds with one stone, visit the water features of the basin and then take the hike. Here’s some info about that trail.

Roundtrip distance - 2.4 miles (3.8 km) - Difficulty - moderate.
The trailhead is about 2 miles (3.2 km) north of Old Faithful on the main road to Biscuit Basin. The trail starts near Avoca Spring at the west end of the boardwalk. Mystic Falls, a 70-foot (21 m) cascading waterfall, is about 0.7 mile (1.1 km) from the trailhead. The trail to the falls parallels, but does not cross, the Little Firehole River. Near the falls, the trail climbs a steep series of switchbacks for an excellent view of the top of the falls. To make a loop hike, 0.2 mile - 0.3 km farther with elevation gain/loss 500 feet (152 m), continue on the trail above the switchbacks until it meets the Little Firehole Meadows Trail. At this junction the trail back to Biscuit Basin turns right, descends to an overlook of Old Faithful, and continues downhill to rejoin the Mystic Falls Trail.

Here’s a picture I took last year of Mystic Falls.

Here’s a picture of Sapphire Pool at the Biscuit Basin.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 01-30-2014, 11:21 AM   #52

Thats what im talking about!...awesome. ...thanks! .. so far we are booked
1-4 at coulter bay tetons
4-6 at at madison bay
6-9 by mammoth springs..

Just need to book rushmore...I was thinking koa but dont know which one??

Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Thats what im talking about!...awesome. ...thanks! .. so far we are booked
1-4 at coulter bay tetons
4-6 at at madison bay
6-9 by mammoth springs..

Just need to book rushmore...I was thinking koa but dont know which one??

That looks like a good plan ironj. When you’re at Mammoth you should see a lot of elk in that area. You might even get lucky and see a couple of bulls do battle.

Here’s another tip for visiting Yellowstone in September. With the cool morning temperatures the geysers and hot pools give off a lot of steam. You’ll find the best times to visit these areas are later in the day when the temperatures rise. Use the early part of the morning for visiting waterfalls, viewing wildlife, or hiking.

Here are two views of the Midway Geyser Basin photographed from a distance in the same location at different times of the day. This first one was taken in the afternoon.

This photo was taken on a very chilly morning. That fog is steam from the hot pools and geysers.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 01-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #54

Man..all these great pics...maybe I dont need to go!..haha

Old 01-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

not sure what map you're looking at but Grant is at the very bottom of the park.
it'll be an all day drive just to get to the north end and back, even if you don't stop much.

yes, you can run the generator but only certain hours. and yes, most of Grant's sites are a good size. some loops are better than others.
Last September, moose and grizzly sightings near grant daily.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #56
Site Team

If you are going to get towards the west gate check out a great campground about a 10 minute drive from the west gate RedRock RV. It's privately owned and the owner takes substantial pride in the place. Sites were spacious and the view was to die for. Even full, this place feels not too busy. It's about 5 miles off the main drag and so you have to want to go there. Very close to Henry lake if you fish, and you can drive into Yellowstone easily. We will be going back. Highly recommended but not very big - you need reservations. RedRock RV Park Home Page for Motorhome and Fifth-wheel travelers
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
If you are going to get towards the west gate check out a great campground about a 10 minute drive from the west gate RedRock RV. It's privately owned and the owner takes substantial pride in the place. Sites were spacious and the view was to die for. Even full, this place feels not too busy. It's about 5 miles off the main drag and so you have to want to go there. Very close to Henry lake if you fish, and you can drive into Yellowstone easily. We will be going back. Highly recommended but not very big - you need reservations. RedRock RV Park Home Page for Motorhome and Fifth-wheel travelers
thanks janet!

there seem to be many many great places to stay in the yellowstone area....

after seeing how fast the larger sites were filling in the park, i just bit the bullet and had to decide and book some spots just in case..

i will however keep evaluating my plan and may make changes if i can/want....

so keep the recommendations coming!! im sure many others may be reading this thread with interest in the same trip!

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #58
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
yellowstone park

Thanks everyone for all the great information and pitcures DW can't wait now to go and see the west. again thanks, this forum is such a great information site.
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #59

Here’s another tip. Chances are you not going to get to, or do, all the things you had planned for Yellowstone so don’t exhaust yourself trying. If you do you might find yourself passed out on a bench at a geyser basin like these folk did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3262 - Copy.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	45887

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 02-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #60

One more suggestion for visiting Yellowstone. Don’t forget to bring a good pair of binoculars with you when you visit. Lamar and Hayden Valleys are vast so binoculars help to see those “shy” animals.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788