Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #1

Yellowstone next July?

Brand new to rv life. Just picked our new 22 ft evo. Don't know if it's doable or not, would love to spent a couple weeks in Yellowstone starting July 9th or so. Anyone have any sugestions on a campground?
Stetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetay View Post
Brand new to rv life. Just picked our new 22 ft evo. Don't know if it's doable or not, would love to spent a couple weeks in Yellowstone starting July 9th or so. Anyone have any sugestions on a campground?
Yellowstone RV Campground and Marina - about 15 minutes from West Yellowstone and on the shores of Lake Hebgen. Full hook-ups, wifi and a great lake for boating, kayaking, canoeing or fishing. The staff are helpful and the sites are reasonably priced. If you get the chance go for a lakeside site. There are a bit further from the washrooms but definitely worth it.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
Welcome Stetay,

I would guess reservations for Yellowstone camping can still be found. They have many sites (only one with full hookup). Yellowstone has spectacular sights and well worth 3-5 days. Just to the south is Grand Teton, different but equally spectacular (best seen while backpacking), well worth another day or two (or 5 with a backpack).

Where you stay depends on what type of camping you want to do. I love staying in the national park campgrounds, but they often have sparse facilities (no power or water at your site). Other people would not camp without full hookup (electric, water and sewer).

Campgrounds - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

If memory serves, Fishing Bridge is the only site with full hookups.
I like Grant Village (no hookups last time I was there)

Good luck!
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Hope you can still get reservations, since July is the busiest month, at YNP.
Do you need hookups or not?
We like Madison, Grant and Canyon. We prefer staying in the Park, than outside of it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #5

We stayed in YNP last summer - last week of July.

Stayed in Grand Tetons for 3 days, then Grant Village for 3 days, then Madison for 2 days.

Coulter Bay in Tetons was nice. Busy. Steps from the lake, full hookups but side by side camping. Scenery was off the charts. At at the Grand Teton Lodge. Very touristy but was nice.

Grant Village was nice. Was quiet. No hookups. The lake was peaceful, lodge was good, food was fine. Camp host was an awesome couple from Texas.

Madison was our favorite. No hookups. Right next to the river. Not as many people. The night time ranger led presentations were pretty cool.

We booked 6 months in advance and the Canyons were already full so get on it now and book as soon as possible.

We were there for 9 days and say a fraction of what you could see.
As many RV trips as possible for the lifestyle!
Meathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #6

We just made reservations Last week for Canyon campground. We found that there was very little left and will have to move to another campground to finish our trip. One thing that really hurts is that they calculate your rig as trailer plus truck. That works out to 40 ft for us. If you are any longer, you are out of luck.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetay View Post

I'm booked at the yellowstone holiday rv park on Hebgen lake for the season May 15 till sept 30 . right now you shouldn't have issues locating a place in West yellowstone . though not in the park but just as nice if not better . the park is a federally control park . meaning don't get a ticket or do anything that can get you in trouble . like step off a walking path . it'll get you a ride to the magistrate . where you better have cash .
The park has many great things to see but it's nice to leave the park at the end of the day . Hebgen Lake has some trophy Rainbow and Brown trout along with the Madison river
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
the park is a federally control park . meaning don't get a ticket or do anything that can get you in trouble . like step off a walking path . it'll get you a ride to the magistrate . where you better have cash .
Yellowstone is one of the NPs that have their own Federal Magistrate on duty at Mammoth Hot Springs. However, for just a speeding tickets issued under 36 CFR 4.21C, so long as it is not considered reckless or drunk, etc. will not get you taken to the Federal Magistrate in Mammoth Hot Springs. They allow you to pay most misdemeanor tickets within a certain time by mailing them into the Federal court system.

Also, tickets will be issued for other misdemeanors such as walking a dog off leash or off the approved tracks, littering, etc.

One thing to remember, when you sign the ticket and mail it in, you are basically admitting to a Federal crime.

Since quite a few NP/BLM and Forest service rangers come from other Federal agencies, I know a few retired NP rangers, two of which came from Yellowstone. I also know some current NP rangers and I know a lot of BLM rangers; both active and retired.

I also know someone who got a ticket in Yellowstone for doing 50 in a 35 zone, and she was only issued a ticket; which she mailed in with a check.

And I really don't think they have changed this policy in the last few years. Just thinking of how many tickets are issued in Yellowstone for speeding, illegal dog walking, hiking where not allowed, etc., would mean the Rangers would always be transporting people up to Mammoth to see the magistrate and not doing anything else for a day.

Now, if you are illegally carrying a weapon and caught, trying to steal artifacts, even large amount of rocks, flowers, etc., then yea, a trip to Mammoth might be arranged.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #9

I have been to Yellowstone four times and I have never thought much about tickets for speeding and such. They might get me for going to slow or picking up to many rocks, I do pick up rocks. I lost a son and wherever we go we pick up rocks and stones and put on his grave. Yellowstone is just to pretty to speed in, might hit a animal or a tourist. We are going this year, we like to stay in Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone, we want to say a few days this year in Grand Teton

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:15 AM   #10

We just reserved for Canyon campground July 3-6. If you see a Lexington 255DS stop by and say hello!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #11

Public Property/Natural and Cultural Features
The possession, injury, destruction, removal, or disturbance of park property or natural resources, including animals, plants, minerals, cultural, and archaeological objects is prohibited. This includes collecting rocks, cobbles, plants, marine organisms, other natural materials, and historic objects and artifacts.

Will they search a vehicle for a rock...no. Will they stop you if they see you doing it...most likely. Will you get a ticket? Depends on the ranger.

But thousands of people do it every year!

Laws & Policies - Acadia National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:10 PM   #12

Thanks, I'll watch out for park rangers when I pick up a few rocks

Old 01-20-2016, 06:35 PM   #13
I Break Everything

We stayed at Fishing Bridge a few years ago. Found it to be pretty nice. Hook ups were new. We really were only at the RV during nights. Yellowstone is pretty awesome. We'll be back. It is a big park, so just consider that if staying outside the park.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:39 PM   #14

Stayed in West Yellowstone in 2014 over the fourth of July, weather was great but it was real crowded.

Rustic Wagon Campground is like a mile or so from the west gate.

Fireworks were very nice, got to Ol' Faithfull before the crowd showed up so we got good seats.

Book now!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:59 PM   #15

I just booked two nights in West Yellowstone (at the KOA, because we will have two 16 year old boys with us that will like the amenities, two nights at Fishing Bridge, and will book two nights in Jackson later tonight. We will be there the third week of July. My biggest issue in the park is that while my motorhome is a shorty at 24.5 feet, we will be towing my Jeep, and combined length put me out of a lot of sites. I can't wait though! I love Yellowsrone, and I've been wanting to go back for several years.
wendylys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:23 PM   #16

If I was only 24ft I would unhook and stay at Canyon or Madison. Me and my fifth wheel is about 2ft to long to stay there but I have stayed there with a shorter fifth wheel.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:28 PM   #17

We are doing Michigan -> Grand Tetons -> Yellowstone -> Glacier -> Michigan over 3 weeks.

We booked Canyon for 3 nights. We will stay on EST and do the high traffic sites in the morning. The nice thing about Canyon is you can do a lot of hiking from the campground, so once the rest of the park gets busy we can relax and hike from the campground.

PM me for exact dates

If you are going to hike off the beaten path (more than 1/2 mile from trail-heads) I would suggest buying bear spray - Counter Assault Bear Deterrent Spray - 10.2 oz. - REI.com
Old 02-14-2016, 12:43 AM   #18

Sorry for the late reply but we stayed at Fishing Bridge inside of the park last year. It was very nice with full hook ups. The one thing I liked is that there is a lot of space between rigs. We set up our trailer and spent four days driving around the area. The stores are within walking distance if you choose to walk. We drove out to the east end of the park and found that the traffic was much less congested with many great look outs. The weather there can change dramatically really fast so be prepared. It actually hailed on us during a warm day!
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote