Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
2017 Forester 3011DS

Yellowstone Thoughts on Routes In?

Planning a trip to Yellowstone next summer. New R.V. this year have had a few short trips so this would be the first "big one" (Forester 3011DS). Thinking about hitting Black hills and then going on to Yellowstone. Looks like Fishing Bridge is the R.V. park and the East Entrance is probably the closest to Fishing Bridge. Is Hwy 14 between Cody and the east entrance R.V. friendly? It looks like very little gas between the two points but only about 120 miles to the entrance. MapQuest wants to send you up to Bozeman and in via the North entrance. Open to hear peoples experience/ideas about these two routes? Thank you!
KeriMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #2

I'm heading out there next July and staying in FB. I'm coming in from the NE entrance. Staying in red lodge and then leaving in the a.m. Taking my time and enjoying the ride up and over bear tooth pass. Lots to see on the way in.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #3

Hwy14 from Cody to the E. Entrance is a very easy route and very RV friendly. More curves once entering the park, but still easy to transverse. A lot easier for a long setup than the Beartooth Parkway since there are no switchbacks.

They have been doing some small stretches of construction along 14 the past two years, so might be some next year, but if there is a wait, only takes a few minutes.

There is a gas station at the Pahaska Tepee Resort, I believe it is open. As many times as I have traveled that route I have never stopped but they have pumps and have seen vehicles sitting next to them. I can only guess the fuel will be a lot more than if you stop in Cody.

There are service stations in the Park. Believe there is one at Fishing Bridge.
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #4

Yes, f5moab is correct, there is a filling station at Fishing Bridge so that 120 mile trip shouldn't be an issue.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #5

We were there in June of this year. We came up from the Grand Teton NP but we drove the Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways while we were there. The Chief Joseph highway left us in Cody but highway 14 from Cody to Yellowstone is very easy and it takes you directly to Fishing Bridge. It did take us 3.5 hours to go from Fishing Bridge to the north entrance when we were leaving. (We were going to Glacier NP.)

Get you reservation at Fishing Bridge as soon as you can because it sells out early. I had mine for almost a year.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

From the Black Hills, take 16 out of Custer and through the Bighorns then catch 14 before you get to Cody. I think 16 is an easier drive through the bighorns than 14. We did this trip a couple weeks ago and between 3 of us, didn't have much problems. Although the climb and descent were slower for us in the GTowns with toads than our buddy with truck/TT combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #7

Fishing Bridge is the only full hookup in the park. I stayed at the West Entrance at the KOA in West Yellowstone. It was an awesome park and very close to restaurants and services with lots of gas options and all that.
Sounds like you are on the opposite side of the country from me though... we went in the park from the west side and out thru the south.... it's amazing.
FB fills up very fast.... like an year in advance so book early and get on the list. we were there on 6/19 - 6/21... there was snow there in Yellowstone the week before we got there... plan accordingly. I don't know if that is a regular occurrence but the people in the KOA said I just missed the weather. it was in the mid 70's and we had a great time.

enjoy!
Days Camped 74
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #8

We drove from Custer, South Dakota to Ponderosa RV Park in Cody. Lots to do in Cody including the Buffalo Bill museum. It is a beautiful scenic route. Stop at Dirty Sallies in Ten Sleep for ice cream. Good route
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #9

We went from Cody to Yellowstone in May. As others have said you should have no issues from Cody to Fishing bridge. make your reservations now though.

There is Gas at Fishing bridge in the park and at multiple other large centers in the park. Mammoth, Canyon, Old Faithful, etc.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #10

Fishing bridge elevation is approx. 7800 feet; a couple days ago, in mid Idaho, areas above 7K had some snow. Not much, some passes had slush...
Out here in the west you can get snow almost anytime of the year.
Down at lower elevations, we set a record cold last night, and the night before, although not a record, it was colder.
Two days ago...

f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwebster View Post
We drove from Custer, South Dakota to Ponderosa RV Park in Cody. Lots to do in Cody including the Buffalo Bill museum. It is a beautiful scenic route. Stop at Dirty Sallies in Ten Sleep for ice cream. Good route

Wow, were you following us? We did this exact route and stopped for ice cream!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #12

Book your CG as Soon as they allow (Blocks go Onsale up to a Year in Advance), but also make a Plan B.

In June of 2011, I was Flooded Out along the Missouri, Snowed on at Rushmore and Black Hills, and none of the CGs in Yellowstone (except for West Yellowstone) were yet Open because the Winter Snow hadn't Melted.

Is this Winter going to be Cold or Warm?? Wet or Dry?? (Flip a Coin...)
Old 07-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #13

We stayed in Cody a couple years ago. Ride into Yellowstone is BEAUTIFUL and a good Highway. Round trip added a couple hours to our day but we still managed to see all the other entrances except Jackson. It was nice to have shopping and restaurants available close to camp when we were done sightseeing for the day. Gas shouldn't be a problem but there was one time I had to tap my 5 gal. emergency can while in that area. Hate to say it but $4.19 for dsl. looked real good when we finally found some.
BADinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #14
jammer 16

Just left ynp. Came up from Jackson Easy drive and there are two Rv parks operated by fireside. One is in Moran closest to the south entrance the other in Wilson just west of Jackson. If you can't get into fb if try the Firesides. It snowed on us last Monday and Tuesday as well as 29 degrees the last three nights.
rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriMN View Post
Planning a trip to Yellowstone next summer. New R.V. this year have had a few short trips so this would be the first "big one" (Forester 3011DS). Thinking about hitting Black hills and then going on to Yellowstone. Looks like Fishing Bridge is the R.V. park and the East Entrance is probably the closest to Fishing Bridge. Is Hwy 14 between Cody and the east entrance R.V. friendly? It looks like very little gas between the two points but only about 120 miles to the entrance. MapQuest wants to send you up to Bozeman and in via the North entrance. Open to hear peoples experience/ideas about these two routes? Thank you!
In June we came through the Black Hills, Big Horn National Forest / Big Horn Mts. alongside the Tensleep River, all breathtakingly beautiful. Had a good meal in Tensleep but don't remember the name of the place. Since we were meeting friends coming from Portland we drove all the way thru the park to stay at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. Great campground and town. We were able to get reservations in January. Only observation I have about Fishing Bridge is that the sites are tight and the roads are pretty rough (we drove through while touring). It has a lot more trees, wildlife etc. but it dates back a long time to when RVs were smaller so it's just a preference thing. Hope this helps, happy travels!
Nights camped 2017-16, 2018-6, 2019-10
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #16

Yellowstone

Camped there in June. I have a tent camper so didn't really need all the hookups. There are several campgrounds available without the hookups that do have room for the larger units. Your choice as to how much convenience you want while camping. There are gas stations throughout the park. You don't want to run low because it is several miles between, but gas is available. It is important to book you campground early as they fill up, especially for the longer units. We came in through Cody last September. Beautiful highway with breath taking views. Coming in through Jackson going through Tetons provides great views of the mountains but the traffic can be a bit heavier. The West Yellowstone entrance offers a stop just a few miles before the Park to gas up, shop, & eat. Traffic generally isn't too heavy. The road parallels the Madison River so you get lots of scenery. Summertime is mobbed with people, so be prepared to deal with swarms from buses on paths to traditional sites, like geyser pools. Also driving is a lot of stopping, sometimes for hours, due to everyone stopping to look at critters. The fall is much easier with less traffic. But it is much colder. Also there is the threat of early snow. However, the wildlife is abundant and you can actually drive without constant stops. Have visited Yellowstone various times during spring, summer, fall, and winter. Fall is my favorite. Cooler temps, less people, trees are bright colors, and wildlife is abundant.
Remark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:00 PM   #17
2017 Forester 3011DS

Thank you all so much for the information! I will definitely be saving this thread.
Keri
Old 07-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #18
2017 Forester 3011DS

Thank you all! Will definitely save this thread!
Keri
Old 07-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #19

Camp Outside Yellowstone

Our second trip, we camped outside Yellowstone at a lake near West Yellowstone. The girls loved the shopping and restaurants in town, plus the camp was much nicer. Less chance of bear problems outside the park, because the bears are hunted. It adds time to your drive, but the drive is a big part of the trip, because of the wildlife. Be prepared for 1/2 delays anytime a bison crosses a road, or a bear is close to the road.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #20

Take Bear Spray with you too. Walmart can order it at your store, or you can pay $20 more when you get into bear country.