Old 07-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
2017 Forester 3011DS
Yellowstone Thoughts on Routes In?

Planning a trip to Yellowstone next summer. New R.V. this year have had a few short trips so this would be the first "big one" (Forester 3011DS). Thinking about hitting Black hills and then going on to Yellowstone. Looks like Fishing Bridge is the R.V. park and the East Entrance is probably the closest to Fishing Bridge. Is Hwy 14 between Cody and the east entrance R.V. friendly? It looks like very little gas between the two points but only about 120 miles to the entrance. MapQuest wants to send you up to Bozeman and in via the North entrance. Open to hear peoples experience/ideas about these two routes? Thank you!

KeriMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
I'm heading out there next July and staying in FB. I'm coming in from the NE entrance. Staying in red lodge and then leaving in the a.m. Taking my time and enjoying the ride up and over bear tooth pass. Lots to see on the way in.

02 Ford Excursion V-10 4.30 gears 5 Star Tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar Rear Airbags
Prodigy and Dual Cam
07 Cherokee 32B
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #3
Hwy14 from Cody to the E. Entrance is a very easy route and very RV friendly. More curves once entering the park, but still easy to transverse. A lot easier for a long setup than the Beartooth Parkway since there are no switchbacks.

They have been doing some small stretches of construction along 14 the past two years, so might be some next year, but if there is a wait, only takes a few minutes.

There is a gas station at the Pahaska Tepee Resort, I believe it is open. As many times as I have traveled that route I have never stopped but they have pumps and have seen vehicles sitting next to them. I can only guess the fuel will be a lot more than if you stop in Cody.

There are service stations in the Park. Believe there is one at Fishing Bridge.
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
Yes, f5moab is correct, there is a filling station at Fishing Bridge so that 120 mile trip shouldn't be an issue.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
We were there in June of this year. We came up from the Grand Teton NP but we drove the Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways while we were there. The Chief Joseph highway left us in Cody but highway 14 from Cody to Yellowstone is very easy and it takes you directly to Fishing Bridge. It did take us 3.5 hours to go from Fishing Bridge to the north entrance when we were leaving. (We were going to Glacier NP.)

Get you reservation at Fishing Bridge as soon as you can because it sells out early. I had mine for almost a year.
Catalina 333RETS
Rush 19 Toyhauler
Silverado 2500HD
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
From the Black Hills, take 16 out of Custer and through the Bighorns then catch 14 before you get to Cody. I think 16 is an easier drive through the bighorns than 14. We did this trip a couple weeks ago and between 3 of us, didn't have much problems. Although the climb and descent were slower for us in the GTowns with toads than our buddy with truck/TT combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped
2014 - 56
2015 - 41
2016 - 67
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #7
Fishing Bridge is the only full hookup in the park. I stayed at the West Entrance at the KOA in West Yellowstone. It was an awesome park and very close to restaurants and services with lots of gas options and all that.
Sounds like you are on the opposite side of the country from me though... we went in the park from the west side and out thru the south.... it's amazing.
FB fills up very fast.... like an year in advance so book early and get on the list. we were there on 6/19 - 6/21... there was snow there in Yellowstone the week before we got there... plan accordingly. I don't know if that is a regular occurrence but the people in the KOA said I just missed the weather. it was in the mid 70's and we had a great time.

2015 FR3 30 DS
1995 Wrangler
Miles 3708
Days Camped 28
twojump36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
We drove from Custer, South Dakota to Ponderosa RV Park in Cody. Lots to do in Cody including the Buffalo Bill museum. It is a beautiful scenic route. Stop at Dirty Sallies in Ten Sleep for ice cream. Good route
dwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
We went from Cody to Yellowstone in May. As others have said you should have no issues from Cody to Fishing bridge. make your reservations now though.

There is Gas at Fishing bridge in the park and at multiple other large centers in the park. Mammoth, Canyon, Old Faithful, etc.
2015 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4l with 2015 Flagstaff 21FBRS
Wife, myself and 2 furry kids
Mountndream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #10
Fishing bridge elevation is approx. 7800 feet; a couple days ago, in mid Idaho, areas above 7K had some snow. Not much, some passes had slush...
Out here in the west you can get snow almost anytime of the year.
Down at lower elevations, we set a record cold last night, and the night before, although not a record, it was colder.
Two days ago...

f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote