Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #11

JoeyO,

I took my 36 ft fifth wheel to and through the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone then on through the bottom of Montana to Spokan WA. We got to the Grand Tetons by the way of Casper WY, then took hwy 26 to Jackson Hole. We were as high as 10,000 ft going over the mountains east of Jackson Hole. I have also towed through the Colorado Rockies, as well as to Grand Canyon. In my opinion, if you stay with state highways, you should not have any trouble with a 34 TT as long as your tow vehicle is not over its tow ratings. Power is an issue and the higher in altitide you get, the less power you have, but the real issue in my opinion, is one that you touched on, and that is brakes on the down hill stretches. There is an old rule of thumb that states that you go down hill only as fast as you can go uphill. I will usually start the downhill portions of long, steep passes at around 25mph. At this speed, I can control the downhill speed gain much easier. I will usually use just the trailer brakes to control speed if I can as they are electric and do not have hydraulic fluid to boil as they heat up. But be aware, you can still get brake fade with electric brakes! When it gets to the point that the trailer brakes alone will not control my downhill speed, I will then use the combination of tow vehicle brakes along with the trailer brakes to get my speed back down. If you know that you have a long down hill run, keeping your speed down is very important, in my opinion. If it is a really long down hill run, I will stop at a pullout if available and let the brakes cool before continuing on. Just remember, if you get your tow vehicle brakes get hot enough for them to fade and lose effectiveness, you are in for a very scary ride! We pulled our fifth wheel through Yellowstone and did not have any trouble, however, if you get off of the highways and onto some of the mountain backroads, pulling a larger trailer can then get to be a real challenge!

HTH

Old 05-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #12

We're heading up that way the first of June. Staying at Colter Bay for our base station to see the area for 10 days

Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #13

Was there in August 2009. Stayed at campgrounds inside park, had no hookups. Campground was almost empty, hardly anybody there. As others said, sight seed all day, went back to camper, ate, relaxed and went to bed. Got up the next day and did it all over again. We drove all over the park with our TV with no problems, crowds where way down. No bear problems but be warned, the rangers are real strict on open coolers and food left out and unattened camp sites. Only surprise was how cold it got at night, had frost on the punkin" in the mornings. Glad I brought along the Mr Buddy Heater. We had a great time and will go again and again it will be in August after school starts for the kids.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #14

As I write this I am setting in Grand Teton Park RV Resort. It is located in Morane, Wy just outside Grand Teton National Park on US 26. It is currently 33 degrees out but feels warmer. It has rained and snowed off and on all day. They closed the road at Colter Bay going to Yellowstone for about an hour today while they plowed the road.

I would not let any weather that happens at this time of year stop you from coming here. We are having a good time. We did make the mistake of not packing warm enough clothes, so make sure you pack for this weather. The best thing is NO CROWDS.

You won't have any problem with the RV getting into the park.

Enjoy the trip.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
JDWeir,

I like that strategy, thanks for sharing. I made the trek from WA to IL three times in a minivan and some of those passes were so steep on the descents it was nuts! Having the TT in tow seems like it could get out of hand quickly if your not cautious as well, but pulling over to cool the breaks could be the ticket.

So when using manual only TT breaks on a descent; do you get a feel of when the electric breaks begin to start fading, enough so that you can switch to using the TV breaks?

My 11' Expy has TowMode, is it advisable to leave it in TowMode or would It be smarter to use a lower gear to help maintain lower speeds on some of those downhill descents?

Driving experiance pays in these situations. I'd hate to have to use one of those run off ramps!
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2012 Tracer 3150BHD Touring Edition
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinca View Post
My interest has been peaked to visit yellowstone after reading some of the threads and comments. I am planning a visit in the first week of june. It will be our first big trip with our 2012 solera. I have a few questions to ask. I know its early in the season,but is the weather[snow] create any driving problems? It seems like grizzley rv park is the place to stay. Do I make this my home base and do day trips into the park? Is my 25 ft sprinter ok to run around the park or should I rent a car or take a tour ? Iwould like to stay at Colter Bay and do some day trips from there. I would appreciate any suggestions. THANKS!
Grizzly RV Park is great and sooooo close to the west entrance. After dropping my 5er I had no problem driving everywhere in the park in my truck which is 22 feet long. You won't have any problems in your sprinter. I didn't mind driving into the park each day as we saw something different every time. And the Grand Tetons are very close so don't miss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Tetons.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	14326  

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #17

Joey,

If you are familiar with your TT and how it acts when braking, you can feel the brake fade, but sometimes it is subtle and hard to feel. I like to release the trailer brakes every so often to let them cool a bit then reapply them and then you can usually tell that they are losing effectiveness.

As far as the tow mode of your TV, I really don't have any experience with it so I can't tell you how it will work on the down hill runs. Using a lower gear can certainly be helpful controlling your speed especially if you have a gas engine. It does not help as much with a diesel unless you have an exhaust brake. Getting to know how your TV/TT combination reacts in the downhill/uphill situations and what works best to keep it under control will keep you off those runaway ramps!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #18

Thank you all for the input on visiting yellowstone. I decided on one day in Jackson @ the Virginian,2 days @ Colter Bay in Tetons, 2 days @ Bridge Bay and 2 days @ Fishing Bridge in YS. I will be hitting the road in a couple of days. Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinca View Post
Thank you all for the input on visiting yellowstone. I decided on one day in Jackson @ the Virginian,2 days @ Colter Bay in Tetons, 2 days @ Bridge Bay and 2 days @ Fishing Bridge in YS. I will be hitting the road in a couple of days. Thanks again.
We will be in Colter Bay for 3 days then north to West Yellowstone and 5 nights in the Grizzly Campground. I just can't wait..

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #20

We head that way on the 14 of June. Going to be staying around Mount Rushmoore for 5 days then head to West Yellowstone. We have rental car once we get up there. Figured it would be easier than using camper to get around.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote