Old 03-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #1

yellowstone trip

My interest has been peaked to visit yellowstone after reading some of the threads and comments. I am planning a visit in the first week of june. It will be our first big trip with our 2012 solera. I have a few questions to ask. I know its early in the season,but is the weather[snow] create any driving problems? It seems like grizzley rv park is the place to stay. Do I make this my home base and do day trips into the park? Is my 25 ft sprinter ok to run around the park or should I rent a car or take a tour ? Iwould like to stay at Colter Bay and do some day trips from there. I would appreciate any suggestions. THANKS!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #2

The roads shouldn’t be a problem in June but keep in mind it can snow in the upper elevations in Yellowstone any month of the year. If it does snow in June it will melt rather quickly.

If it were me I would make Colter Bay a base camp for visiting Grand Tetons National Park and part of the southern portion of Yellowstone. There are two campgrounds called Colter Bay, one is operated by a concessionaire and has full hookups. The other is operated by the NPS and has no hookups.

Then I would move up to Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone or if you can get reservations, Fishing Bridge RV park within Yellowstone. Sites at Fishing Bridge are full hookup and are truly on top of each other.

If you plan to go this June you better start calling for reservations right now.

Lamar and Hayden Valleys are great places to see wildlife but remember to keep your eyes on the road.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #3

We made the trip mid June last year, last SOME snow in the park and our campground. Stayed in the park, at Fishing Bridge, saved the 50 minutes each way traveling in and out of the park...

Why stay outside, when the destination is INSIDE???

We had no time to spend lounging OUTSIDE our trailer when we got back to camp..., too tired...

Dinner and a drink...then bed...Way too much to see when the sun rises....
Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #4

If you're not in need of full hook-ups, we found Bridge Bay a good CG. Neerby is the Bridge Bay Hotel which has it's own laundromat (a whole lot quieter than the park one at Fishing Bridge), plus the hotel has a nice atmosphere if you want to sit and have an 'elegant' drink. At the CG you can wake up in the morning surrounded by bison or other wildlife. As someone else said - the park is the destination!!!

2005 Ford F150 5.4
2011 Salem 21FBS
greenliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

Here's a link to live streaming video of the Old Faithful area. When Old Faithful erupts the camera will be trained on it. Old Faithful erupts approx. every 90 minutes. By the time you read this it will probably be night time in Yellowstone. Be sure to check it out in the morning.

Yellowstone Geyser Live!

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #6

Did it last year!

You cannot go wrong in taking a trip to Yellowstone. We did 10 nights, stayed in West Yellowstone KOA, which was a really, really nice park, but had a bit of driving to do each day. Thoroughly enjoyed our trip, as did our four year old and eighteen month old. It is an amazing park - I've now visited it over a dozen times over my lifetime, and keep coming back for more - it never gets old! Looked at staying at Fishing Bridge, but decided to stay with KOA, where we spend most of our trips. Enjoy yourself!
2011 Chev Silverado 3500HD Dually Duramax Turbo Diesel - Allison Trans / PullRite 20.5K Super 5th Wheel Hitch & SuperRails / Trailair Tri-Glide Air Ride Pin Box #21,000 / Honda 3000i Handi

mdamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #7

Wanted to pick your brains on route.

Wanted to pick your brains.

I will be going to the Grand Tetons Colter Bay RV Park from Ogden Utah heading north then from Colter Bay head north into Yellowstone and out the West Gate to Grizzly Cmapground.

My question is what is the best way to get into Jackson then to Colter Bay with a MH?

I would like to stay on the open highway as much as possible and it seems taking highway 15 north to Idaho Falls then east on 26 then 89 to Colter Bay is the best.

Does anyone have any thoughts on route for me and my MH?
Here is my Present Route Map on Google MAP

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #8

yellowstone route

Hi Iggy,

I am new to these roads and following mapquest. This is our first big trip in our 2012 solera. Yes, I am a rookie. Sorry I can not help at this time.
regards, Jim
Old 05-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
I too have a similar question that did not get addressed in the OP. How does a 25ft or my 34 foot TT handle when going down the mountain roads in MT, CO WY? I traveled some of those roads in a mini van and it was pretty nutty as you know those roads seem to go straight down and for a long time.... Is there a lot more presure on the breaks or is that only if you are over doing it with the speed? I would like to read your feedback regarding those experiances.

Thanks! Joe
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2012 Tracer 3150BHD Touring Edition
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #10

Been to Yellowstone 2x... Once in the summer when everyone goes & again snowmobiling in the winter when there's almost nobody there.

Awesome place... not to be missed! Suggest check out little grand canyon of Yellowstone and Grand Tetons.

IMHO, Old Faithful is the least of the park.. Have to wait 90 minutes I think. But everyone will want to go see it. There are other areas with much more geyser activity. Incredible wildlife.

Have a great trip!

FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote