Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #1

Yellowstone trip in May/June

We are planning a trip to Yellowstone NP late May early June from SoCal.
We are planning to take the 15 north and stay on the western side out side the western entice in MT at Grizzly RV Park. Looking for Those that might want to tag along and make an unofficial caravan and peoples thoughts on what the weather might be at that time.
jeepsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
SNB

Weather in Yellowstone in late May/early June will range from below freezing with snow to 80-90 degrees with sun and everything in between. Check out:

Yellowstone National Park - Facilities' Opening & Closing Dates (U.S. National Park Service)

for when things open up in the spring.

It's a nice time of year to be in the park (okay, there isn't a bad time to be in the park).

-SNB
SNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the info

Thanks again, since we don't have to worry about kids in school its nice to go when they are in school and miss the crowds and the traffic.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You can easily encounter snow during that time and many of the trails will likely still be closed due to snow. If you want to avoid crowds/kids, you might want to consider going in September.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #5

I have been in western Montana and eastern Idaho 3 or 4 times in last 15 years during the late May early June time frame. Fortunately I have not seen snow but there were big differences in weather from year to year. One year it was in the mid 90's. I would take clothes to handle mid 30's to upper 80's. Dress in layers. I go to the Big Horn river every May for 2 weeks and have to plan for large temperature swings. Yellowstone is higher in altitude and usually a little cooler. H

Have fun. Good time to go. You should see lots of new born deer, elk, bison, etc. Usually great wildlife viewing in general.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #6

Jeepsailor

We are planning our first trip to Yellowstone during the same timeframe. We are coming in from the east (coming from Ohio) and are staying at Colter Bay RV park in Teton NP (close to southeast entrance of Yellowstone). Maybe we'll cross paths somewhere (although with the size of the park I doubt it:-) )
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #7

I think it is going to be busy next year, no matter how you look at it. We drove over from Boise this August and it was packed. Found this info on the parks website:

"Park visitation during the first nine months of the year topped 3.41 million, above the 3.14 million who came to Yellowstone during the same period on 2009. With three months to go in 2010, year-to-date visitation has topped last year’s record annual visitation record of 3,295,187.

Visitation figures were up at all five park entrances when compared to year-ago levels. The West Entrance remains the park’s busiest, with nearly 216,000 visitors in September."

Matt
Old 11-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffkm View Post
We are coming in from the east (coming from Ohio) and are staying at Colter Bay RV park in Teton NP (close to southeast entrance of Yellowstone).
that's a LONG drive to visit YNP. it takes quite a while just to get to the south end of the Loop.

we stayed at Madison and Grant last year and then went to Colter Bay. there's no way i would try and see YNP from that far away. the Grand Loop is huge. it took us about 3 hours to go from Grant to Canyon.
the trip from Grant to Colter Bay took at least 90 minutes.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
that's a LONG drive to visit YNP. it takes quite a while just to get to the south end of the Loop.

we stayed at Madison and Grant last year and then went to Colter Bay. there's no way i would try and see YNP from that far away. the Grand Loop is huge. it took us about 3 hours to go from Grant to Canyon.
the trip from Grant to Colter Bay took at least 90 minutes.
Thank you bikendan for the distance info. I looked at the distance and agree it is a long drive. We have two weeks off so we have nothing but time on our hands to see the park and I do not mind driving. Colter Bay has full hookups so that is why I chose there. We are not the type to "boondock" without our electric hookup. Fishing Bridge cannot guarentee they will have electric hookup next year and it is still quite a drive from there.
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #10

We did a trip last year to SteamBoat Springs Colorado, and our Path took us Throu Yellowstone, we did spent the Night in Grizzly RV Park, Nice camp ground,There is a great place to walk your Dogs (if you have some) walking distance to town, Park enterance is right there also... if you have Good Sam, you'll get a 10% discount if I remember right.. Good Idea to join

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #11

also, if you could, try to stay OFF the Main freeways as much as Posible, you wouldnt beleave what You see on the Back roads

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #12

My husband's family hails from West Yellowstone, Montana. It's a wonderful place, and Grizzly Park is a great choice. You'll need a sweater and long pants, particularly in the evening. I'd take along a heavier coat just in case. You've picked a great time to see the baby animals in the park. Don't miss going north to Mammoth Hot Springs. Most folks congregate down around Old Faithful and miss a lot of great sites. If you can, take the time to get out of your vehicle and do some hiking back to the mud volcanos, paint pots, etc. Hiking the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is awesome!! It will be worth the walk. Have a great time.
Papillonlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #13

Thank you to all that have replayed I hope to see some of you and the rest someday. I was planning on cold for the most part and looking fwd to the trip.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:13 AM   #14

I plan to be in the yellowstone area in mid June, i will know the dates next april for sure, Its the only time i can get holidays
Kevin
TF-Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #15

Changes, life is full of changes and we are changing our trip date again till early Sept 2011 not to cause a conflict with my son's wedding, darn how these things get in the way of a good time sometimes. Yellowstone should still be there then.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #16

I'm jealous....someday we'll get there....someday... maybe when I retire from the Navy
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #17

Was there in August 2009. Compared to about 30-40 years ago, seems like its lost alot of color in the hot spots, and seems like most of the hot thingys are much drier. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #18

Well on your way there if you need any emergency service or supplies for your RV stop into Rocky Mountain RV in North Logan, Utah. Its by the border of Idaho and Utah.

Welcome to Facebook
bigdaddy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #19

[QUOTE=jeepsailor;71343]We are planning a trip to Yellowstone NP late May early June from SoCal.
We are planning to take the 15 north and stay on the western side out side the western entice in MT at Grizzly RV Park.QUOTE]

Grizzly is a nice RV park located just a few miles outside of the West Yellowstone entrance; however, road construction both in the park and out added nearly an hour to our daily trips into the park last summer. I assume that the road constuction has been completed from Grizzly to the West Entrance, but I believe that road work will continue in the park Between Madison Junction and Norris Junction this summer. If you plan on devoting your entire visit to the park, Fishing Bridge Campground is a better option if you can get a site with electric. We are still trying to determine if Yellowstone is on the agenda this summer. We love Yellowstone and discover something new each vsit. We've traveled from Pennsylvania to Yellowstone three of the past four years (youngest son works there). It's a long drive but well worth it. I'm just worried that gas prices will continue to rise which could have an impact on how far we travel this year.
Gkconfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #20

I went to Yellowstone when I was a teenager it is truly an amazing place. That was on a summer long trip in Honey Motor home class C about 19 foot I think. There were four of us and it was a great time and my first real camping trip not in a tent, I remember the dodge cab and how hot it was crossing through ariz and the desert. We also stopped at The Alamo, Old Tuscon Ariz, The Grand Canyon, The Great Salt Lake, Mt Rushmore, and a few more places. What a way to spend the summer. Have Fun!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote