Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #1

Yellowstone with dogs

Any tips on traveling to Yellowstone with a dog? Looks like they are not allowed on any of the trails. Best tips would be appreciated. We have a very active smooth collie. Any tips traveling National Parks with a dog, or best places to stay near Yellowstone. We are traveling from Washington State to Goshen for the Rally this summer.
dymsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Yellowstone is extremely restrictive when it comes to dogs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #3

You might want to download their visitors guide which says:
" Pets are not allowed on trails or boardwalks,
in the backcountry, or in hydrothermal basins.
Where allowed, pets must be leashed and
remain within 100 feet (30.5 m) of a road or
parking area.
Do not leave a pet unattended, tied to an object,
or without adequate food, water, shade, ventilation,
or other basic needs. Owners must bag
and dispose of pet waste. We recommend that
someone in your group remain with your pet at
all times to personally ensure their well being."
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...tone-today.htm

When we went there, we saw a lot of people frustrated with how few areas they could take their dogs. One person was left in the parking lot watching the dog while others took the trails.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:06 PM   #4

Thank you for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
You might want to download their visitors guide which says:
" Pets are not allowed on trails or boardwalks,
in the backcountry, or in hydrothermal basins.
Where allowed, pets must be leashed and
remain within 100 feet (30.5 m) of a road or
parking area.
Do not leave a pet unattended, tied to an object,
or without adequate food, water, shade, ventilation,
or other basic needs. Owners must bag
and dispose of pet waste. We recommend that
someone in your group remain with your pet at
all times to personally ensure their well being."
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...tone-today.htm

When we went there, we saw a lot of people frustrated with how few areas they could take their dogs. One person was left in the parking lot watching the dog while others took the trails.
We are going to mostly drive through and stay outside of Yellowstone. Disappointing but can understand. Too bad there aren't areas for dogs also.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dymsail View Post
We are going to mostly drive through and stay outside of Yellowstone. Disappointing but can understand. Too bad there aren't areas for dogs also.
I don't know of any national parks, with campgrounds for RVs, that allow dogs on the trails.
I'm sure there must be some.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:23 PM   #6

Please remember that those parks, and most certainly Yellowstone NP has an abundance of wild animals in their own element that consider our pets (and some of them-us) as food. It’s kindof a complication, but ultimately safer for our pets. I stay at the parking lot with ours and just figure it is what it is.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #7

If you are in the grand Tetons, there is national Forest land across from the Tetons that you can take dogs on. We hiked there and then drive through the national Park. Same mountains and scenery, just one you can take dogs on.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:03 PM   #8

I know of thur hikers that backpack the Appalachian Trail that when they come to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park have to take there dog around the park.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttimerstraint View Post
If you are in the grand Tetons, there is national Forest land across from the Tetons that you can take dogs on. We hiked there and then drive through the national Park. Same mountains and scenery, just one you can take dogs on.
Thank you! We are planning to go to that area.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dymsail View Post
Any tips on traveling to Yellowstone with a dog? Looks like they are not allowed on any of the trails. Best tips would be appreciated. We have a very active smooth collie. Any tips traveling National Parks with a dog, or best places to stay near Yellowstone. We are traveling from Washington State to Goshen for the Rally this summer.
They make good Bear Food.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

They make good Bear Food.

Jack
True😮 -
Old 04-29-2018, 12:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igave View Post
Please remember that those parks, and most certainly Yellowstone NP has an abundance of wild animals in their own element that consider our pets (and some of them-us) as food. It’s kindof a complication, but ultimately safer for our pets. I stay at the parking lot with ours and just figure it is what it is.
The dogs stays with me in the National Parks as well. I cannot do the hiking my husband does. The dog would love to go with him, but..... We need to keep our wild lands wild and protect our animals. There are mountain lions that would take down a big dog as well.

To bad we can't do that with kids. Take a nice hike to enjoy nature and they are screaming and yelling. I am turning into a grumpy old lady.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:38 AM   #13
Insert witty title here

We stayed at Fishing Bridge campground last summer. We left our pooches inside the camper with the AC on while we went and explored. We came back a couple times a day to let them out.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:31 AM   #14

I just think that the Park people know that some people would not clean up after there dog. As far as bear food or mountain lion food, wild animals always go after the slowest creature, I’m pretty sure a dog can out run a slow human
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #15

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I found a great website with suggestions on touring Yellowstone and surrounding area at "Dog-Friendly Hotels & Restaurants in Jackson and Cody Wyoming, Yellowstone and Grand Teton" for anyone interested. We are also going through Utah on the way home and found the site: visitutah.com/dog-friendly- to be very helpful also. Places to stary and nearby areas we can take the dog. We bought this dog as a pet but were talked into showing her and she also does herding, tracking and agility----keeping us young and tired but she has also become a part of the family, so almost like having another child-our grown kids are jealous! Hoping to meet some of you in Goshen. Look for a smooth collie in a 28 ft Forester. Jim and Janis Dyment