Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2020, 05:28 AM   #1

yosemite visit

So I want to go to Yosemite-
Problems-

1.I have 10 days- and iI live in NJ so taking my rv is out.
2. Tried to get camp site in park- but but I lost out on that for may 15-jun 15 this year. All site were go in 30 seconds.

So for any one how has been there- what would be more enjoyable-
rent a class c and stay out side the park- unhook and drive rv in every day? or rent a private cabin in the park and rent a car?

Any thoughts on where you stayed would also be helpful.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:37 AM   #2

Rent a cabin and rent a car. During the time you plan to visit the park, parking can be very difficult and spots fill up fast leaving you no option than to drive around and around looking for a spot to park. Don't even try with a class c. Best option is to rent a car and go early. Use the shuttle to get around.
SCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #3

X2 with SCCS. We rented a cabin about 20 minutes from the lodge inside the park. Worked out perfectly for us and had deer right outside while I was grilling dinner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCS View Post
Rent a cabin and rent a car. During the time you plan to visit the park, parking can be very difficult and spots fill up fast leaving you no option than to drive around and around looking for a spot to park. Don't even try with a class c. Best option is to rent a car and go early. Use the shuttle to get around.
hack522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:27 PM   #4

170 sickened at Yosemite; park confirms 2 cases of norovirus

https://www.kolotv.com/content/news/...567060681.html
Firestone Airbag Ride Rite system
paverdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:24 AM   #5

cabin and rental and use the park shuttle. VERY crowded during tourist season, shoulder seasons much better, spring better than fall as there may not be waterfalls (first time I was there did not locate Yosemite falls for two days, looked like a garden hose dribble from the valley floor). Last time we went we took the trailer and dry camped at one of the valley campgrounds, tight spots, etc. Did get surprised by a bear one night.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:01 PM   #6
2011 Berkshire 390BH

During the summer months, we have camped in Yosemite Valley's Lower Pines a number of times over the past 10 years in our 39' Berkshire. This past summer was the latest. Those valley sites during the summer months are gone within the first 1-2 seconds the reservation window opens. If you are able, I would highly recommend staying in the valley if at all possible. The crowds during the day are horrible, but the park is emptied early evening and particularly after sunset. (Assuming the valley is what you are after.) Then, when you wake up, you are already inside Yomemite! Here is an option for you to think about since you didn't get a site.

Rent a class C and stay at Indian Flat RV Park. It's the closest RV park to Yosemite - reserve it now. The next morning, pack everything up early and drive into the valley and park in the Curry Village (Half Dome Village) parking lot. This is where the campground reservation office is - little office at the corner of the lot. Get there before 6:30-7:00am - there should be parking spaces available. It will take about 45 minutes to get to the parking lot. Get in line at the little campground reservation office, they open at 8:00am. Sometimes the line starts to form at 6:00am, but that's usually a person or two. When the rangers open the office, they come out and put your name on a list in order of where you are standing in line (noting if you are tent camping, RV, length, etc.) Once on the list, go do some of your day's adventure. Leave your RV parked and take the shuttle to your destinations - you will never find a parking spot for an RV during the day. Now, make sure you come back by 3:00PM. 3:00PM is when the rangers hand out the "no-show" sites to you folks that were standing in line at 8:00 in the morning. If you were first in line, you are first to pick the site you want. I would pick the site with the longest number of days available. Who cares what the site looks like, you are in the valley! Also, they won't let you pick a site that won't fit your RV. If you want to be in the valley for 7 days (the max,) and they only have a 3 day site, then do this process again after 3 days. The two times I did this there were 12 no-show sites available and then 16 no-show sites the next time. Both times were the end of June.

Also, I prefer camping in the valley Monday - Thursday. The weekend crowds are unbearable - weekday is bad enough.

If you do get a site in the valley for your time period and if you want, go ahead and cancel your reservation at Indian Flat. They may keep a day's camp site cost, but being in the valley is way worth it!!

-Jeremy

LiteEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:35 AM   #7

The valley is awful with all the crowds, it is like all of San Fran is there, I suggest up top or down south
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote