Old 12-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #1

Question 12-volt Outlet Help

Hi All,
We have a 2008 Georgetown 315DS LTD and two weeks ago the the two 12-volt outlets in the dash stopped working. I have checked all of the fuses in the underdash fuse panel and all of the fuses in the panel under the steps. All were fine except for one blown 5-amp fuse under the steps - I replaced that blown fuse but the 12-volt outlets still do not work.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated - we can't charge our phones or use our TomTom navigator with out the 12-volt outlets.
Thanks!
Adam

Old 12-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #2

12 Volt outlet

The first place I would check (after the fuses) would be to make sure the wire is connected in the center of the outlet; the hot wire should be connected to the to the center and the ground wire to the terminal on the outside of the outlet. Sometimes they are not crimped tight enough so check the connections. To see if you have power going to the outlet; use a test light; touch the tip of the test light to the positive terminal (one in the center) and ground the wire from the test light to a good ground. If power is getting to the outlet, the test light will glow. If it is getting power then check the ground wire. Most electrical problems are due to loose or bad ground wires. Another way to test the outlet is to disconnect the wires from the back of the outlet; run two new wires directly to a 12 volt battery ;positive to positive and negative to negative. If it works then you have a broken/loose/ wires.
( It is strange that both stopped working at the same time; must be wired together.)

Old 12-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Most likely it's an in-line fuse under the dash. My radio shorted out the first day we had the coach and it took out the map lights and the 12 volt (cigarette lighter style) outlets as well. The fuse was behind the radio. I'm not sure if it's accessible from the front because the radio was replaced under warranty and I didn't have to do it. I'd start there. Good luck, Charlie

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #4

Thanks Crossfire and Charlie,
I will get under there tomorrow and see what I can figure out.
Adam
Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #5

Have power

Hi All,
Just wanted to give an update to the 12-volt outlet problem.
I didn't have anymore time last week to fiddle with the problem because of the holidays - we just got too darn busy. Plus we had more important things to deal with like the HOA in my mother-in-law's neighborhood where we were parking our RV. We finally won out but it was a hassle.
We made it back to Long Beach, CA yesterday from San Antonio, TX and before we hit the road I was able to locate the proper fuse in the panel under the steps (with Mike Burns' help from Forest River) and I do have power to the outlets. For some unknown reason the outlets are not working properly. Any device I plug in will not work in either outlet - they only overheat whatever jack I plug in - I almost melted one. So it looks like I may need to replace with better quality 12-volt outlets.
Thanks again for the advice and Happy New Year!
Adam
Old 12-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #6

Things melting? Sounds like a short. My bet is that everything is fine until you plug something into the outlet.

Once you plug something in, I'm thinking the plug is forcing the the + and ground to short.

I agree. Replace the plugs. They are cheap and things melting is never good.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Popes View Post
Hi All,
Just wanted to give an update to the 12-volt outlet problem.
I didn't have anymore time last week to fiddle with the problem because of the holidays - we just got too darn busy. Plus we had more important things to deal with like the HOA in my mother-in-law's neighborhood where we were parking our RV. We finally won out but it was a hassle.
We made it back to Long Beach, CA yesterday from San Antonio, TX and before we hit the road I was able to locate the proper fuse in the panel under the steps (with Mike Burns' help from Forest River) and I do have power to the outlets. For some unknown reason the outlets are not working properly. Any device I plug in will not work in either outlet - they only overheat whatever jack I plug in - I almost melted one. So it looks like I may need to replace with better quality 12-volt outlets.
Thanks again for the advice and Happy New Year!
Adam
WHOA there! Had the same problem with the 12V outlet on our used bass boat we bought this last summer. Someone had hooked up the polarity wrong Totally fried a USB power adapter we use to power our phones and GPS. Use a voltmeter and be danged sure that the + is in the middle and the "-" is on the outside contact before you spend money to replace the outlets. I wouldn't put it past some laborer in the factory to have mixed up the wires. Usually not a big deal to reverse them, just unplug and swap them.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #8

Hi NWJeeper,
Thanks for the tip. Will double check that this weekend.
Adam