Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Kanadian Kamper

12 volt socket questions

Assuming Georgetowns are wired the same as far as 12 volt sockets.........

I have a 12 volt socket located in the front dashboard area, near the radio and heater controls. This socket is "alive" all the time. It is wired independantly of the "house batteries" and gets it's supply from the engine battery located under the hood.

Another 12 volt socket is located in the assembly for the "booster" button associated with the TV antennae. When the "house batteries" are swithced OFF at the main switch by the door, this outlet is dead.

If I wanted to "trickle chage" the engine battery, and trickle charge the "house batteries" over the winter, I'm guessing I'll need two separate chargers AND I would have to have the battery switch turned ON when trying to charge the house batteries occasionally.

Anyone else that can confirm this wiring arrangement?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Assuming Georgetowns are wired the same as far as 12 volt sockets.........

I have a 12 volt socket located in the front dashboard area, near the radio and heater controls. This socket is "alive" all the time. It is wired independantly of the "house batteries" and gets it's supply from the engine battery located under the hood.

Another 12 volt socket is located in the assembly for the "booster" button associated with the TV antennae. When the "house batteries" are swithced OFF at the main switch by the door, this outlet is dead.

If I wanted to "trickle chage" the engine battery, and trickle charge the "house batteries" over the winter, I'm guessing I'll need two separate chargers AND I would have to have the battery switch turned ON when trying to charge the house batteries occasionally.

Anyone else that can confirm this wiring arrangement?

You are correct that both batteries are seperated from each other and if you wanted to charge both you would need 2 chargers. Now if you have your rig plugged in during the winter the house batteries will be charged with you built in charger and should maintain minimal charge.

Now the engine battery will need the seperate charger that you can plug in in your dash port. As long as you have 120 volts from one of the outlets in the rig. Remember you will be plugged into shore power during winter storage.

Does this help you?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Our rig is parked too far away for being plugged in over the winter. I do have a solar panel that can keep the batteries charged when plugged into their respective 12 volt socket. Guess I'll just have to keep and eye on things and alternate the panel for the engine battery one week, and the house batteries for the next, keeping in mind not to have anything running when the battery switch is turned on.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #4

If you have the solar already hooked up to your house batteries you can run a pair of insulated wires (positive and a negitive) to the engine battery just for the winter. They don't have to be large wires.
Usually solar cells are really small in wattage and may keep all the batteries from freezing. I'm not sure. If yours is in the 10 watt range that may work.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt