Old 09-11-2015, 01:49 AM   #1

12V Ceiling lighting troubleshoot advice needed

Hey all...in the middle of a long trip and have a minor 12V lighting issue I can't resolve....looking for further suggestions.

There are FOUR oval plastic overhead 12V lights running down the middle ceiling of my coach. The four failed together tonight when I tried to turn them on one by one....not a flicker from any of them.

Facts:
The 12V coach system IS working. Other lights are working. Converter working.
The fuses were the first thing I thought of... replaced every one in order with a known working fuse. No dice. Fuse labled LR didn't seem to affect anything so I am assuming this is the correct fuse for the lights and the lights do not have a bad fuse.
Seems like maybe they are linked by a common ground wire that might have broken or oxidized? One of the lights is right in front of the a/c which has been running full time...I'm thinking that is the most likely place for a wiring issue.
Has anyone had a similar issue or a better idea about where the problem might lie?
Thanks in advance.

2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Is there a switch as you walk in the door that turns on the ceiling lights? We have one at our door and one that turns them on or off as we enter the bedroom. If you have a switch and have power there, at least you'll know it's after the switch. We had a trailer that had a ceiling light problem and it was a ground. I removed the ceiling fixture and ended up drilling out the terminal that connected the ground wire to the metal for the ground. Also used a little No-Ox and never had any problems after that.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #3

No joy on the dedicated switch. I'm thinking ground problem or loose connection but
I don't want to tear into anything without some confirmation. Thank you for the response!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Run a temporary ground from a circuit you know is good to the light (just use some old wire you have laying around) and see if you get a voltage read between the temporary ground and the positive wire from one of the lights. If nothing, run a temporary hot wire and check the voltage to ground at the light. This will narrow down which wire it is and the you can start trouble shooting from there. It could be as simple as a fuse that controls that circuit. Have you checked your 12v fuse panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-11-2015, 10:37 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

Measure for 12v on the hot side of the bulb sockets. Use frame as a reference, (- side of the meter) to see if hot side is open.

Then measure for a low resistance between the ground side of the sockets and frame to see if the ground is open.

That will get you started in the right direction.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #6

No Georgetown here, but I had the exact same issue this spring- no lights along the door side of the trailer, it turned out to be a lose connection in one of the ground wire connectors. Do the tests as others have suggested and you'll find it.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
No joy on the dedicated switch. I'm thinking ground problem or loose connection but
I don't want to tear into anything without some confirmation. Thank you for the response!
Have you checked the switch?
See if you have positive 12 volts to one side when off and 12 volts on both sides when on. You need to find a good ground when testing.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:05 AM   #8

Is excellent idea...will try that when I get to a good stopping point! Yes...checked and replaced all 12v fuses with known good ones. THANKS guys!
Old 09-14-2015, 12:31 AM   #9

They do some strange things when wiring these units. Your string of lights may be ran through one of your GFCI breakers. You might want to check and see if you have outlets in the area not working or one of your GFCI breakers has tripped.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #10

All outlets good.Thanks.

Tags
light