Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
bend302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bronston, KY
Posts: 685
15 amp power

In our storage unit there is a 115V 15 amp outlet. If I get the appropriate adapter would there be enough power to leave the Motorhome plugged in and charge the batteries? I know I would need to turn all of the other AC electric stuff off.
__________________

__________________

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 58
I have heard it's not good to keep the batteries constantly charging while in long term storage. I've been told it's better to disconnect them and bring them home.......charging them at home once a month or so. The constant charge and topping off kills them faster?

We did however keep our TT plugged in, except for winter, for the fridge. The batteries on our TT only lasted 3 years.
__________________

__________________
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member
 
cfsoistman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upperco, Maryland
Posts: 3,135
You would be better off buying a Battery Tender and leaving the coach unplugged, disconnect the batteries from the coach and hook the Battery Tender to the batteries. The other way you stand the chance of boiling off the batteries. The Battery Tender will maintain the charge without boiling the batteries.

Battery Tender - Home of the Battery Tender Jr. - Batterytender.com

They are available at plenty of stores. I think Walmart might sell them as well.
__________________

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
You would be better off buying a Battery Tender and leaving the coach unplugged, disconnect the batteries from the coach and hook the Battery Tender to the batteries. The other way you stand the chance of boiling off the batteries. The Battery Tender will maintain the charge without boiling the batteries.

Battery Tender - Home of the Battery Tender Jr. - Batterytender.com

They are available at plenty of stores. I think Walmart might sell them as well.

Hey there cfsoistman. I clicked on that link and my Norton Security went nuts and shut me down. Bad site with viruses.
__________________
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member
 
cfsoistman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upperco, Maryland
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingGoatee View Post
Hey there cfsoistman. I clicked on that link and my Norton Security went nuts and shut me down. Bad site with viruses.
That's strange I'm at work and no problems at all. Maybe Google Battery Tender and see the other links from some of the retailers. You should be able to see them. I know they're sold on Ebay as well.
__________________

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 58
I keep my security setting pretty high. Kids. It could just be a tracking cookie? But, when the computer shuts down....it's usually an attack.
__________________
GrowingGoatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
In our storage unit there is a 115V 15 amp outlet. If I get the appropriate adapter would there be enough power to leave the Motorhome plugged in and charge the batteries? I know I would need to turn all of the other AC electric stuff off.
Depends on what kind of battery charger is built into your onboard system. For example - the electrical panel unit in our 2010 8315BSS has a modern 3-stage charger as part of it. If yours is the same, then IMHO you can safely leave it plugged in as it will maintain your batteries the same as a Battery Tender would. Your documentation should tell you what this info.

...VTX-AL
__________________
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: newburgh n.y.
Posts: 45
Bend 302, I have a 2007 Georgetown 370 and I keep it plugged in from April thru October and never boil the batteries, In the winter months I keep the coach unplugged and run the coach once a month for an hour along with the gen set. Plug in you will be fine.
__________________

__________________
370xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.