Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #21

Refrigerant charge can be checked without taps and gauges. 20º is ideal delta T after unit has been running 15 - 20 minutes or so. 16º-20º delta t indicates a good charge with good air flow.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Mine is a single zone as its in a Forester. Here is a photo of how it's wired. I think he added a junction box to the front as well. Ignore the dust. It's amazing how much gets thru.

By the way, my AC is on 24/7 and set to 87 degrees when at home so it has a lot of hours on it.

Well the way my brisk airs are holding up, if mine was on as much as yours, Id be replacing a brisk air every three to six months. This last brisk air has maybe about 15-20 weeks of use on it since replaced.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #23
Retired Old Fart

This thread got me thinking a little. Not that I have needed to change out a AC unit (yet), but that day will surely come.

I think before I plop down hundreds for a new AC, I would invest in a set of bullet piercing service valves (about $4 each, amazon, grainger, Summit Racing, etc..) and see if the unit can be serviced instead of tossed. A slow leak might can be plugged with proper additives and low coolant can surely be fixed by adding more. Even if you have to invest in a gauge set and vacuum pump, you are still way below the cost of a new unit.

Also if you know a fireman, I would bet there is a licensed HVAC guy who is also a fireman they can refer you to. When I worked at the County, anytime we had a AC, electrical, or carpentry project, just call someone at one of the fire stations and they had a list of who also had a 2nd profession (their on/off hours let them do this). A lot cheaper than looking for a company in the advertisements and peer pressure and pride pretty much insured the guy knew his stuff to make "the list". Plus you are supporting firemen and their families! Most of them are licensed too.

Just a thought that might save someone some money.

PS - the bullet piercing valve can also make refrigerators and window AC units "serviceable" (or pretty much any sealed unit that does not have service ports). Small investment may allow a fix instead of a replacement.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
This thread got me thinking a little. Not that I have needed to change out a AC unit (yet), but that day will surely come.

I think before I plop down hundreds for a new AC, I would invest in a set of bullet piercing service valves (about $4 each, amazon, grainger, Summit Racing, etc..) and see if the unit can be serviced instead of tossed. A slow leak might can be plugged with proper additives and low coolant can surely be fixed by adding more. Even if you have to invest in a gauge set and vacuum pump, you are still way below the cost of a new unit.

Also if you know a fireman, I would bet there is a licensed HVAC guy who is also a fireman they can refer you to. When I worked at the County, anytime we had a AC, electrical, or carpentry project, just call someone at one of the fire stations and they had a list of who also had a 2nd profession (their on/off hours let them do this). A lot cheaper than looking for a company in the advertisements and peer pressure and pride pretty much insured the guy knew his stuff to make "the list". Plus you are supporting firemen and their families! Most of them are licensed too.

Just a thought that might save someone some money.

PS - the bullet piercing valve can also make refrigerators and window AC units "serviceable" (or pretty much any sealed unit that does not have service ports). Small investment may allow a fix instead of a replacement.

Thank you for your response. The piercing valve is a good idea. I would be would be able to monitor head pressure if could put gauges on it. The first unit I replaced definitely could of been recharged, it was one of the group of bad chinese solder joints. It would freeze up the coil and then not restart without cycling the thermostat off then back on. I replaced it thinking Id spend 500 bucks and be good for many years. However not the case. This one has lasted 2 years and six mo. Of course only two year warranty. The brisk air II I currently have is not freezing up and it cools very well when running. Its the circuit breaker intermittently tripping especially when hot. Sometimes the unit will run for hours and not trip. Other times it will trip once or twice a day. Compressor definitely sounds “labored or strained” when starting up as compared to the 13500 dometic in bedroom.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
Refrigerant charge can be checked without taps and gauges. 20º is ideal delta T after unit has been running 15 - 20 minutes or so. 16º-20º delta t indicates a good charge with good air flow.

It seems to cool really good. Just breaker intermittently tripping
Old 09-23-2019, 08:39 PM   #26

Reminder: Small cans (under 2 lbs.) of R-410a are rare, and seem to be priced above the cost of a 30 lb. jug. Small A/C systems require charging accuracy of 10 grams or better. That would be very difficult to do with a 30 pounder. You also must get the actual capacity spec. for the system, and I don't know if that is published.

Lastly, if the charge has leaked out, it will continue to do so unless the leak is identified and repaired.

Now, if you would like to start a small "Garage-sized" business, you can invest in everything necessary and advertise "I fix Dometic RV Air Conditioners".

Be ready for a landslide business!

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:52 PM   #27

Domectic A/C

Orrrrrrrrr, you could be like us and fixing to get the 5th unit in 7 years. So tired of burning up. The 4th one has only been in since April. We have a 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Addition, you would think this XXXX thing was built in China with all the Chinese parts. Every time the A/C unit has been replaced the tech tells us it has lost the Freon. First two units were the same model and the last two were the same model, cant really tell you for sure what the models numbers are, but you can bet we are going to find out.
Thanks goodness for the bedroom air, it has saved us from roasting in 100 degree heat. Camping World has insisted that extended warranty replaced the unit every time, but this time we are out of extended warranty and we made them go to Dometic with it, hope Should have been Dometic all along. When and if we have to go the cost on our own we will change brands!!!
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:48 AM   #28

2 suggestions.
Attwood Australian designed heat pump & AC. 15K runs on about 10.5 amps.
Add a "Hutch Mountain Run AC with 1 Generator - Microair Easy Start 364" into AC, NOT CHEAP but can reduce start current by 70% in many cases. Our AC starts & runs on 1 Honda 2200i
SCClockDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:35 AM   #29
MCTroy

Following for suggestions. We are replacing our 13k Donetic unit in the Spring. And yes, it is our if warranty too. How convenient for Dometic.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #30

The 5th unit going in tomorrow is a Blizzard just like the other 4, tech tells me if this one fails we will request a model change, just hope if it fails it is within the two years warranty!!
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattyattack View Post
The 5th unit going in tomorrow is a Blizzard just like the other 4, tech tells me if this one fails we will request a model change, just hope if it fails it is within the two years warranty!!

Thanks for reply. I was considering the blizzard as a option for replacement for the brisk air II. Looks like its no better than the brisk air. I’m leaning very strongly towards the Penguin 2. Ive not head many negative comments on them.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCClockDr View Post
2 suggestions.
Attwood Australian designed heat pump & AC. 15K runs on about 10.5 amps.
Add a "Hutch Mountain Run AC with 1 Generator - Microair Easy Start 364" into AC, NOT CHEAP but can reduce start current by 70% in many cases. Our AC starts & runs on 1 Honda 2200i

Thanks for reply. I added a Atwood air command 13.5 unit as a third ac a couple years ago. No problems with it so far. It has controls on the unit as didnt want to try and fish tstat wire and add another tstat. That is another possible option however not sure how much change would be needed to wire into wall thermostat. I dont think my dometic ct thermostat and control box would interface with it so not sure what other parts would be needed to get it to run off of wall thermostat.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:28 AM   #33

Dometic quality control

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECONUSMC View Post
We have a 2018 Artic Wolf and we are on #3 of the Brisk unit. We get anywhere between 6 to 9 months out of units and then like you they freeze up and or hot air. If this third unit takes a crap I'm changing BRANDS. The low design Penguin unit in our bed room is still cranking great. That Chinese crap has now cost me install cost & time. COME ON DOMETIC go with USA production!!!!!
Dometic are not interested in quality control, where the units are built is irrelevant Dometic only have to insist on the standards required and have inspection at the manufacturing plant to ensure a quality product. If the leisure industry had the same policing has the car industry what a difference that would make to RV and 5th wheels which really are sub-standard products which all boils down to no interest by manufacturer's.
Landorhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:47 AM   #34

I have a Cedar Creek Champagne Edition both a/c's where faulty when we came to use them, both units replaced with the same models which are the Dometic Blizzard models, the dealer had 5 more 5th wheels all fitted with the same Dometic units, seems when LG bought out Dometic they moved production from Taiwan to Thailand down went the quality control. Our dealer is now modifying Dometic units with clamps to hold the refrigerant pipes in a stable position so stopping the pipes flexing and so cracking soldered joints in the refrigerant lines. Fitting gas service points would also be the ultimate fix so a simple recharge by a a/c technician would be possible.
Landorhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #35

I have a brand new one on my brand new MH. I read here its got a 2 year warranty, and I read here I can buy 3 more year warranty for $165.00. That may be a fair investment in my book
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #36
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvphil View Post
It seems to cool really good. Just breaker intermittently tripping
We had the same issue. The tech at our dealer said he can detect a bad breaker by giving it a rap with the handle of a screwdriver. Ours tripped when he did that but the others were all OK. He replaced the breaker and it's been fine ever since.

Ray
Old 10-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #37

When I pull out the paperwork for my AC it says I have a Atwood Ducted Model AC-1511 Air Command.

Internet search seems to show Dometic owns Atwood.

is my AC the one that everyone is having problems with?
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
It is difficult to measure inrush current without a meter that is specifically designed to make a fast capture. I used my oscilloscope with a current clamp to get this capture:
I have the same O Scope, nice piece of test equipment. And, +1 on your suggestions.

John
Outtahere100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner