Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

1st modification - not intentional

While fueling up , you know the grey and black drain that comes out of the bottom of the water and sewer compartment? Well i noticed that the cAp was missing. I opened up the compartment and saw that the PVC which was connected to the pull valves we not attached. In the middle of nowhere Indiana on my longest trip since August I started to lose it!!!! Saying WTF how can this happen(the marine kicking in now)wtf am I going to do if I can't dump out !!! So my Dad the cool headed one said lets call the KOA in Granger. The put us in touch with Elkhart Rv Sales and Service. The mech came out the next day by 11am, and was back with the new parts by 1pm. We were fixed by 3pm. Ok the mod is that we will now connect the drain tubing to the Rv inside the compartment instead of outside.

I believe the blown out truck tire we clipped on the highway was the culprit. So for those of you that still have the low drain point c Ming out of the bottom of the compartment you may want to cut it off before it gets damaged.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #2

How about a picture. It sounds like a logical idea/MOD

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

I also hit a recap tire tread on the road and broke my drain dump. The tanks were full, oops. After dumping tanks, what a mess, I replumbed it to hook up inside the compartment. It takes a longer drain hose, but it worked good, and no concerns about more damage.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi3088 View Post
Saying WTF how can this happen(the marine kicking in now)wtf am I going to do if I can't dump out !!! So my Dad the cool headed one said lets call the KOA in Granger. The put us in touch with Elkhart Rv Sales and Service. The mech came out the next day by 11am, and was back with the new parts by 1pm. We were fixed by 3pm. Ok the mod is that we will now connect the drain tubing to the Rv inside the compartment instead of outside.

I believe the blown out truck tire we clipped on the highway was the culprit. So for those of you that still have the low drain point c Ming out of the bottom of the compartment you may want to cut it off before it gets damaged.
Gotta love used up rubbers on the highway that don't have their owners stop and clean them off.
We missed one that was about 6 feet wide the other night. Stopped. Put on Hatch gloves and the red and blues, returned to the tire and hauled its dead body off the road.
Due to the tread we determined it was a military vehicle. Being about 20 minutes away from the main camp we took a drive - found the vehicle and charged the driver.
Glad thats all that happened when you clipped the tire on the road.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Gotta love used up rubbers on the highway that don't have their owners stop and clean them off.
We missed one that was about 6 feet wide the other night. Stopped. Put on Hatch gloves and the red and blues, returned to the tire and hauled its dead body off the road.
Due to the tread we determined it was a military vehicle. Being about 20 minutes away from the main camp we took a drive - found the vehicle and charged the driver.
Glad thats all that happened when you clipped the tire on the road.

You bring up an interesting point. Is the driver of a blown tire responsible for cleaning the road of tire debris. I have never seen a driver, trucker, etc clean up their mess.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #6

They seldom stop, but in NB they are responsible to ensure rocks from job sites, debris and exploded tires are cleared off the road. Weights and measures generally has Vehicle enforcement, but RCMP and civilian police can also hold the driver.
In Ontario there have been several tires come completely off the trucks and kill people by rolling into the car or van in the tire's path.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Road Kill Retreads

One of thoes "road kill retreads" got me on the way up to Grand Heaven, Mich. Some what lucky, in that the gearbox to the motor shattered but the gears fell inside the housing and I was able to realign and reinstall it. Yes on the side of a side street at 2am. It will need to be replaced this winter but I'm still using it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0905121325.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	20973  
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #8

We callem tire gators about 3 yrs ago one flew off a semi on I75 in the middle of Atlanta about 7pm on a friday hit our GOLDWING 1800. Gain control but cost over 1000 buck to repair. THANK GOD WE WEREN'T KILLED.