Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

2004 GT Intellitec Battery Disconnect Panel Switch

I took my GT out for a spin today, and after parking it at the storage facility at the end of the drive, manipulating the battery disconnect switch would not disconnect the batteries. The red light stayed illuminated and I had 12v power throughout the house. At the start of the day, the 12v power had been off until I manipulated the switch to turn it on. At that time the switch worked. When I turned it on, you could hear the distinctive click when the batteries connected, but no such click when trying to disconnect. It is an Intellitec BD0 Battery Disconnect Panel Switch 01-00066-004.
Is this an issue more complicated than just replacing the switch, or can I go ahead and order one. It's only ~$40 online.
Attached Images

BigMac8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #2

On my 2005 when I am plugged in to power the switch does not disconnect nor does the light go out, this my be normal in operation and only disconnects when not plugged in to shore power.
tim440hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac8253 View Post
I took my GT out for a spin today, and after parking it at the storage facility at the end of the drive, manipulating the battery disconnect switch would not disconnect the batteries. The red light stayed illuminated and I had 12v power throughout the house. At the start of the day, the 12v power had been off until I manipulated the switch to turn it on. At that time the switch worked. When I turned it on, you could hear the distinctive click when the batteries connected, but no such click when trying to disconnect. It is an Intellitec BD0 Battery Disconnect Panel Switch 01-00066-004.
Is this an issue more complicated than just replacing the switch, or can I go ahead and order one. It's only ~$40 online.
The click you hear is not the switch it is the latching relay switching. Pull the switch out to verify the board connector has not come off or a wire has not broken. The latching relay requires 12 volts to actuate in both directions. Once actuated in one direction there is no power holding it in that direction. A contact switches in the relay to another input terminal for another 12 volt input to switch the relay back. Your switch panel does use a circuit board and it may be bad. If you can jumper 12 volts from your battery to actuate the relay (bypassing the switch) it would tell you for sure.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #4

On my 2005 when I am plugged in to power the switch does not disconnect nor does the light go out, this my be normal in operation and only disconnects when not plugged in to shore power.
tim440hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies. In answer to the last post, in my case, I was parking the RV at my storage site and wanting to disconnect the batteries so they would not drain. I have no shore power available. But when I hit the disconnect switch, noting happened. The batteries continued to provide 12v for the house, so I just disconnected the batteries for now by pulling the (-) cable.

Fortunately, I got lucky last night and found the manual for my switch and relay on-line. Troubleshooting steps in the manual detail the following: While switch is engaged, check voltage across the coil terminals (+ on the "S" terminal and ground on the "I" terminal). If 0 volts, replace panel, if + voltage, replace relay. Now to get a voltmeter!
Old 05-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #6

tim440hp, thanks for your replies to my Battery Disconnect question. I hadn't connected the dots until now to the fact that it was you that I had sent the pictures to when you had your question on the forum. Regarding our setups, the Battery Disconnect Relay is the unit on the top in the picture I sent you, but do you know the function of the unit directly below it? Is that Ignition System related? I can't see any markings on mine.

By the way, I found a manual on-line for how the switch and relay work together. If you look up Intellec Service manual 01-00066-004 on line, you can download it for free. Hope this helps for any questions you may have in the future.
Mike
Old 05-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. In answer to the last post, in my case, I was parking the RV at my storage site and wanting to disconnect the batteries so they would not drain. I have no shore power available. But when I hit the disconnect switch, noting happened. The batteries continued to provide 12v for the house, so I just disconnected the batteries for now by pulling the (-) cable.

Fortunately, I got lucky last night and found the manual for my switch and relay on-line. Troubleshooting steps in the manual detail the following: While switch is engaged, check voltage across the coil terminals (+ on the "S" terminal and ground on the "I" terminal). If 0 volts, replace panel, if + voltage, replace relay. Now to get a voltmeter!

How old is your rig? What model?

It sounds like the relay is bad and won't open and the contacts are burnt closed from arching or the switch is not working properly.
If you have time take a few pictures of the relay as this may help others in the future.
Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #8

A multimeter should be part of every RV owner's tool kit. In addition to the high quality, calibrated meter I use, I have a number of Harbor Freight meters permanently stored in different locations in my RV. I use HF meters because they are available for free with the coupons that are available in many magazines. It's usually a free item (meter, tape measure, screwdriver kit, etc) with any purchase, even a $0.25 bit for a screwdriver. If you can't wait for a coupon, they usually cost less than $10.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #9

Hi Iggy. Thanks for your message. The MH is a 2004 Forest River Georgetown XL 370 TS. Following is the picture of the relay in its location under the entry steps:

I now have the Intellitec service manual for the switch and relay. You can find it at http://ddwt.us/Intellitec_BD1_Batter...ice_Manual.pdf. My task now is to engage the switch and see if there is any voltage across the terminals on the relay. If yes, the relay is the culprit; if not, it's the switch. Hopefully not both.
Mike
Old 05-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #10

pmsherman, I wish I had more experience/skills in this arena than I do, but unfortunately not. But I am gong to get the multimeter to do the troubleshooting. I always worry about screwing things up more than they already are. But you can't learn with out doing. So that's the plan.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
pmsherman, I wish I had more experience/skills in this arena than I do, but unfortunately not. But I am gong to get the multimeter to do the troubleshooting. I always worry about screwing things up more than they already are. But you can't learn with out doing. So that's the plan.
Yes put your meter leads on the front relay studs and actuate the switch. You should see 12 volts. Let go the switch and 0 volts. Actuate the switch in the opposite direction and you should see opposite polarity 12 volts. If you have a digital voltmeter no need to swap the leads the meter will show opposite polarity. If you do have volts the relay is not switching. Go for it.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #12

As I continue to gain some more understanding of the battery disconnect system, I came across this You Tube video explaining the relay. Possibly having access to this video might be useful to someone else experiencing issues with this system, so here is the link:
Old 05-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #13

Thought I'd close this thread by letting you know that I found the problem. If you look at the picture that I had submitted on the 1st page of this discussion, there are two (2) blue connectors in the center of the picture, of which the one on the left connects the red wire from the switch to a yellow wire that runs to the relay. This picture was taken only about a month ago. Getting back in there today, I found that the red wire had pulled loose from the connector. I had missed it. So I redid the connection and everything works fine again. The good thing from this beyond finding the problem is that now I have a multimeter that I am learning to use. I probably would not have bought it had I not decided to troubleshoot the switch and relay. So my hope is it will save me some grief in the future. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:52 PM   #14

Glad to hear it was an easy fix after you found the loose wire.
I did watch the video and learned how it actually works.
Now I have to check mine to see if it is that type that locks on and locks off by reversing polarity.
Have a great summer.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #15

Iggy, if you have not already, look up the Intellitec Service Manual 01-00066-004 on-line as well. It, in combination with the video, provides full detail regarding how the switch and relay work together and individually.

Now to try and understand the Battery Isolator Solenoid, just in case. Haven't found who made mine yet. Markings on the unit are pretty much gone.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect