Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #1
Appreciative Member

2006 FR Georgetown 370XL-- Hydraulic Jack Slips Down

Left rear hydraulic jack slips-down on its own 2-3" after engine turned off for 30-40 minutes. Not sure what might happen when I drive it. It does retract correctly when instructed. It is a Lippert system and they no longer stock similar size and mounting holes dimensions. Lippert says there might be a pressure leak within the jack allowing the drop-down. Don't see any leakage there. Is it possible to lose pressure, but not fluid? Transmission fluid in reservoir correct and no leakages noted. Can't locate a mfg name or model numbers on the sides of the jack(s).

Any recommended sources for online replacement? Can Forest River provide archived info on parts, etc for a 10 yr old coach if I give them VIN info?

Planned to hit Florida in a week, but may be delayed with this. I can replace myself, IF can locate proper replacement. Thanks for any assist.
BWAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #2

Very likely the piston rod in that jack is allowing oil to bypass and the cylinder is slipping down. The piston/cylinder I've seen open is sealed by two o'rings. If the jack can be removed by draining the system, it can be rebuilt by local hydraulic repair shop which will include the rod external seal. There is no external leak with this fault, only oil getting by seals internally

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #3
Appreciative Member

Hydraulic jack slips down

Vince, thanks so much for the knowledgeable response and idea to rebuild the hydraulic jack on my 2006 Georgetown 370xl. Calling a couple hydraulic repair shops in Atlanta area tomorrow morning.

Also sent email to Forest River as to whether they have production data available based on VIN for a motor home, etc. Would like to know the mfg of the jacks, and other items in future when required.

What a great service provided by this Forum. Thanks, BILL
Old 12-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #4

Wait till you look into the hyd. pump for the slides they dropped it in 06 and there are no parts available, great outfit were dealing with.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Wait till you look into the hyd. pump for the slides they dropped it in 06 and there are no parts available, great outfit were dealing with.

Don't give up so easy. Lippert won't fix the pump but others will. I wonder if Lippert manufactures anything they market, it seems every thing is vendor furnished. In this case the pump is rumored to be Parker Hannifin but you can't find it on line. You can find a rebuild procedure in the IRV2 forum. It's located in the Monaco section called Lippert Seal Replacment. If you hire a machine shop with that post, it includes step by step photos, part numbers for seals etc. written in 2009, still invaluable today, a shop can easily carry out the overhaul. Even fab parts once exposed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #6

Thanks for that info, looks like there might be some hope afterall.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:56 PM   #7

Having a somewhat similar experience with jack on 2011 Georgetown TS. The jack slowly drops over a period of days. Shop first fully extended the jacks and cleaned, but no joy. On next visit, they tightened a few hose connections that could have been slightly loose. 48 hours later it has dropped just over an inch. They automatically fully retract every time the engine is started with parking brake released so not an immediate danger but........
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:45 PM   #8

I have an extra Pump bought it for $650 will sell new for $500
paperbbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:55 PM   #9

Does the same jack slip when you extend it so the motorhome weight is on it? If not, that would eliminate the jack cylinder piston leaking by internally. You might want to check the small o-ring on the jack solenoid valve located on the hydraulic manifold. Also make sure the manual override on that solenoid is all the way off.
rvgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #10
Appreciative Member

Thanks to all for replies on my posted hydraulic jack "slip-down" problem on a 2006 Georgetown 370xl. Took the jack to Atlanta International Hydraulic Repair. They took apart, replaced O-rings, etc. Cost was $186 and had back next day. I reinstalled, and works great.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #11

Jack leak down

Glad you fixed your problem. How did you originally come to the conclusion that it was the jack and not a problem with the pump or solenoid valve? It just seems to me that if the jack holds the motorhome up (being under a lot of weight) without problems then it should not leak down when retracted and under no weight. If the internal orings leaked by in one direction, it should leak by in the other direction. Am I missing something here?
rvgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #12

Bwat will be able to explain further but I believe there are two sides with o rings one up and one down, lines go into the cylinder on top and on bottom side which means there is two sets of o rings. One holds pressure when up and the other holds pressure when down.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgreg View Post
Glad you fixed your problem. How did you originally come to the conclusion that it was the jack and not a problem with the pump or solenoid valve? It just seems to me that if the jack holds the motorhome up (being under a lot of weight) without problems then it should not leak down when retracted and under no weight. If the internal orings leaked by in one direction, it should leak by in the other direction. Am I missing something here?

Here is the easy worded answer. When the jack piston is on the ground, the piston cannot move. If the coach begins to drop the cylinder must be moving. Remember the oil pressure is the same on both sides of the piston and its two o'ring seals. The system is called balanced and the pump must start to change piston position. Unless the piston seals are worn or damaged (due to trash in the cylinder) or other reasons. The under weight the cyl will slip downward while seals are bypassing.
It doesn't happen when stowed because of lack of heavy load. Pump problems only surface when in use, not when stationary. Sol. valves leaking will result in tank level rise. The two rings per piston are round syn rubber and back each other, non directional.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAT View Post
Thanks to all for replies on my posted hydraulic jack "slip-down" problem on a 2006 Georgetown 370xl. Took the jack to Atlanta International Hydraulic Repair. They took apart, replaced O-rings, etc. Cost was $186 and had back next day. I reinstalled, and works great.

Great news!

Tags
georgetown, hydraulic